It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• THE DIFFERENCE IN THE SYMPTOMS OF CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS AND CERVICAL RADICULITIS??????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2003, 01:50 PM   #1
    NENE

NENE HB User
    Question THE DIFFERENCE IN THE SYMPTOMS OF CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS AND CERVICAL RADICULITIS??????

CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE DIFFERENCE IN THE SYMPTOMS OF CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS AND CERVICAL RADICULITIS????? I HAVE SYMPTOMS OF THEM BOTH AND I HAVE SO MUCH PAIN, BUT A DOCTOR TODAY SEEM TO THINK I HAVE CERVICAL RADICULITIS.... AND ANOTHER LAST WEEK WHILE HOSPITALIZED SAID CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS?? I AM VERY CONFUSED.. I AM GETTING AN MRI SOON... BUT THEY HAVE BEEN NEGATIVE FOR THE PAST TWO YEARS BUT THE PAIN HAS NOT WENT ANYWHERE BUT WORSE. AS A RESULT OF SOMETHING I HAVE A VERY SEVERE KIDNEY INFECTION.. WHICH THE DOC FROM LAST WEEK SAID THE CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS CAN CAUSE... I AM SO CONFUSED HAS ANYONE HAD ANY PROBLEM LIKE THIS?????? I HAVE THE PAIN IN MY BACK SEVERE!!! LOWER AND UPPER... I FINGERS LOOS FEELING ALOT. AND SO DO MY TOES... LEG PAIN RIGHT IN THE FEMUR... JUST ACHES..ALLL THE TIME...!!!!I CAN'T SIT IN ONE SPOT TOO LONG I CAN'T WALK FOR TOO LONG AND I CAN'T HOLD MY HEAD DOWN TOO LONG AS IN.. TYPING... WRITING.. AND ECT.. WHEN I HOLD MY HEAD DOWN.. I START TO FEEL THE PAIN.. SLOWLY GOING DOWN MY BACK.. TO THE LOWER PART... MY HANDS START TO CRAMP.. SO BAD I HAVE TO JUST CRACK THEM... AND I BEGIN TO GET A HEAD ACHE.. AS I AM NOW FROM TYPING JUST THIS AMOUNT...I CAN'T TAKE MANY PAIN MEDS.. BECUASE I AM ALLERGIC TO MOST... SO THE RELIEF FOR ME.. IS LYING DOWN. PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS GOOD TO RELEIVE THE PAIN UNTIL THEY HAVE COME TO A CONCLUSION.. BECUASE I AM ALLERGIC TO ALMOST EVERYTHING OUT HERE...

SIGNED SINCERELY... SOOO CONFUSED.......

The Following User Says Thank You to NENE For This Useful Post:
    Lisaoc (07-18-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2003, 04:52 PM   #2
    Niki47

Niki47 HB User
    Hi there,

I am not a doctor, but I am a cerv. patient. Maybe this will help.

Spondylosis is the disease of the spine itself.
    Radiculitis is the inflammation of the nerves that get piched, and I believe radiculopathy is the syndrome of symptoms of pain caused by the nerve problem.

Further ingrowth of the bones may impinge the actual spinal cord, causing Myelopathy.

Enter the words you wish to search into your search engine and read, read, read. The symptoms you have are indicative of all of the above.

Niki

Old 02-06-2003, 07:01 AM   #3
    NENE

NENE HB User
    THANK YOU NIKI...
    I WILL DO THAT.. THANKS SO MUCH

Old 02-06-2003, 08:13 AM   #4
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    HI Nene,
    laying down to deal with pain is an effective
    menthod, but not always practical. Have you tried local cold and or hot packs to your neck. Also there is a Tens unit which some people find blocks the pain for them. None of these , including medication is a fix, but they can help to ease the pain. Also there is massage therapy, acupuncture etc. Maybe try a really good pysio clinic, I know that mine provides many alternative methods including those above. It may help you to find something that will give you relief.
    Hope this helps Mel
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 02-06-2003, 04:44 PM   #5
    NENE

NENE HB User
    HELLO MEL...
    THANK YOU FOR THE INFO.... I HAVE IN FACT TRIED PT... AND I HAVE HAD A TENS UNITS NOW FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF.. IT HELPS WHILE ON, BUT WHEN I TAKE IT OFF MY OH MY!!!!!I HAVE NOT TRIED ACUPUNCTURE YET BUTI MAY LOOK INTO IT, AND NOW SINCE I HAVE THE KIDNEY INFECTION MY BACK HURTS TRIPLE THE PAIN WITHOUT IT!!! BUT WHATEVER I HAVETO DO TO GET RID OF THE PAIN, EXCEPT ALL THE MEDS I CAN'T TAKE I WISH SOME OF MY DOCS WILL TELL ME!, BUT THANK YOU AGAIN MEL AND ANY HELPFUL INFO ANYONE HAS I WOULD APPRECIATE IT THANKS TO ALL!!!!!!!
    NENE

Old 02-06-2003, 11:30 PM   #6
    CoffeeGirl

CoffeeGirl HB User
    Hi,
    I have a TENS unit too. I also find that while it's on it helps but when I take it off.. watch out.. the pain returns at a vengeance and only serves to remind me just how much teh TENS helps distract me.

------------------

Old 02-07-2003, 04:19 AM   #7
    NENE

NENE HB User
    YES THAT IS TRUE, I ALSO HAVE CHIROPRACTIC CARE, WHICH HE GIVES ME THE STIMULATION THERAPY AND THEN WANTS TO CRACK MY BACK AND NECK AND ALL THAT!!!!!! AND IT HURTS WORSE AFTERWARDS. YESTERDAY I TOLD HIM NO MORE CRACKING I CAN'T TAKE IT! I HOPE SOON I WILL BE ABLE TO COME TO A CONCLUSION AS TO WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON, BECAUSE IT IS DRAINING ME SO MUCH. IF IT IS CERVICAL, WHICH I THINK IT IS... OR IF IT IS SOMETHING ELSE, BUT THE DOCS I HAVE HERE IN SC ARE PLAYING A GUESSING GAME WHICH PISSES ME OFF!!! INSTEAD OF DOING THE PROPER TEST TO FIND OUT. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE TEST ARE, THAT SUPPOSE TO BE DONE TO FIND OUT WHAT IT IS????FOR THE PEOPLE THAT HAS CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS, AND THE ONES THAT HAVE CERVICAL RADICULITIS. I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT TEST WAS DONE TO DIAGNOSE YOU, SO I CAN AT LEAST ASK MY DOCS TO TRY THEM. AS IT STANDS NOW I HAD SEVERAL MRI'S AND I HAD XRAYS, RECENTLY I HAD ULTRASOUNDS AND I HAD AN IVP. NEXT WEEK I AM SCHEDULED FOR A C SPINE MRI,BUT EVERY MRI I HAD WAS NEGATIVE, THERE HAS GOT TO BE ANOTHER TEST THAT IS MORE THOROUGH. SO IF ANYONE KNOWS, THAT CAN GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS TO TAKE TO MY DOCS , THAT MAY HELP ME ALOT...
    THANKS..NENE

[This message has been edited by NENE (edited 02-07-2003).]

Old 02-07-2003, 07:42 AM   #8
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hi Nene,
    the necessary tests, well (1) c-spine MRI with contrast,(2) flexion and extension x-ray of c-spine( this is a very important diagnostic tool ,because it shows any excess movement of the vertabrae , which is a major cause of pain. It is a simple and inexpensive test which is often overlooked). Another important tool is the (3) discogram, the injection of discs can identify a painful disc which may not show up on MRI or CT. The disc itself has a bundle of fibres in the back portion of it, which can send intense pain signals when the disc is injured or damaged. Only herniations and bulges show up on film, but they are not the only cause of disc pain .During this procedure they inject the disc with solutions to repeat the pain, or they use a freezing to obliterate pain, sometimes they use dye to see the disc and identify scar tissue, small tears etc.
    We all know the pain and frustration you are going through, unfortunately this lack of understanding of chronic neck/cervical spine injuries is a wide-spread problem. One of the things you can do is to go online to the spinal injury foundation, or other search engine and search for a DR. who specializes in this field.
    I hope this helps, Take care of yourself Mel

Ps; i almost forgot, EMG is valuable to identify nerve disfunction, form either a pinched nerve or other causes.

[This message has been edited by melanie dawn (edited 02-07-2003).]
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 02-08-2003, 06:19 AM   #9
    NENE

NENE HB User
    HI MEL
    THANKS YES ALL OF THIS IS VERY HELPFUL, I WILL TAKE THAT INFO WITH ME, I AM SCHEDULED FOR AN EMG NEXT WEEK I HAD ONE TWO YEARS AGO, BUT NOW SINCE THING HAVE GOTTEN WORSE THEY WANT TO DO ANOTHER ONE, SO I HOPE THAT SHOWS SOMETHING, I AM SICK OF THEM TELLING ME THEY CAN'T FIND ANYTHING, JUST BY DOING A MRI OR CT SCAN, I KNEW THERE WERE MORE INTENSE TEST. THESE PEOPLE DOWN HERE DONT KNOW ANYTHING, OR JUST DONT WANT TO DO ANYTHING, BUT I AM SICK OG THE DOC GAMES, IF THEY DON'T DO THE RIGHT THING WITHIN THE NEXT COUPLE WEEKS I AM GOING TO FIND SOMEWHERE THAT WILL, IF I HAVE TO LEAVE SC TO DO IT.
    TAKE CARE ...NENE

Old 02-08-2003, 11:19 AM   #10
    Niki47

Niki47 HB User
    I agree with knocking off the chiropractic treatment until you get some answers. There is a ligament alongside your spinal cord that can, and DOES buckle with flexion and extension. This can be a big problem in c-spine things like spondylosis.

Type in "Cervical Spondylosis" to your search and READ UP!!! There are some excellant websites.

Now... that said, understand that spondylosis itself is VERY COMMON, especially in old folks. It can exist with NO symptoms!!! Only if you have unresolved pain issues, and have tried EVERY OTHER method of conservative treatment should surgery be considered. Unless you have myelopathy.

Hope that helps some.
    Niki

Old 02-08-2003, 03:29 PM   #11
    NENE

NENE HB User
    HI NIKI
    YES I HAVE ALL THE MEDICAL BOOKS AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF, AND I HAVE READ UP ON SPONDYLOSIS, AND THAT IS WHAT I ASKED THE DOC ABOUT AND HE SAID... THAT IS VERY POSSIBLE, BUT HE IS THINKING MORE OF RADICULITIS. I THOUGHT FOR SURE I HAVE MORE SYMPTOMS OF SPONDYLOSIS, BUT AAS I SAID BEFORE, HERE IN SC WHERE I AM THEY ARE ******* ME OFF WITH THE GUESSING GAMES, THIS IS WHY I ASKED WHAT ARE THE CORRECT TEST TO GET FOR THE DIAGNOSIS. IF I DONT TAKE IT TO THEM LIKE I KNOW A LITTLE BIT THEY WILL STRING ME ALONG, AND KEEP TALKING THE I THINK CODES, I HATE THAT!!!!BUT NEXT WEEK I WILL ASK THEM ABOUT THE TEST MEL MENTIONED AND SEE WHAT THEY WILL SAY, IF NOTHING HAPPENS I DON'T MIND MOVING RIGHT ALONG. I WAS OUT TODAY TRYING TO HAVE A NICE TIME WITH MY CHILDREN AND TRIED DRIVING, ABOUT 30 MINUTES FROM HOME. WHOO!! I HAVE NOT DRIVEN IN OVER TWO MONTHS BECAUSE OF THE NUMBNESS IN MY FINGERS AND TOES, BUT I TRIED TO DO IT TODAY, MY BACK AND NECK STARTED HURTING ME SO BAD... I STARTED DRIVING MISS DAISY..LOL WHAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A 30 MINUTE DRIVE TO THE MOVIES, ENDED UP AS ONE HOUR AND 15 MINS AND I WAS BENT OVER ALL THE WAY!!!! SO I KNOW THEY HAVE TO DO SOMETHING AND QUICK. AND U SAY SPONDYLOSIS IS COMMON IN OLDER PEOPLE, WELL NIKI I AM 30, AND I HAVE HAD WHATEVER IT IS, FOR TWO YEARS NOW, I CAN SAY IT DID FOLLOW A CAR ACCIDENT IN 2000, SO I GUESS I WAS MESSED UP REALLY BAD. AND AFTER THE ACCIDENT I WAS OFF WORK FOR 8 MONTHS WITH THE DIAGNOSIS OF SPRAINS AND SPASMS AND ALL THE THINGS THAT COME WITH A FENDER BENDER, NOT KNOWING IT WAS MORE INTENSE, UNTIL NOW. WE WERE HIT FROM BEHIND WHILE AT A COMPLETE STOP AND I WAS THE PASSENGER WITH MY SEAT FULLY RECLINED! THE CAR THAT HIT US WAS A TOTAL LOST, NOW WHAT KIND OF FENDER BENDER WAS THAT? THAT WAS A BIGGY, AND NOW THEY SEE. I THINK IT ALL FLARED UP AFTER RETURNING TO WORK BECUASE I AM A PARAMEDIC AND ALL THE LIFTING THAT IS REQUIRED. I GUESS THEY WILL FIND OUT SOON????????????:CONFUSED:
    NENE

Old 02-08-2003, 07:32 PM   #12
    Niki47

Niki47 HB User
    Hi,

Yep, a rear-ender can for sure do it. Whiplash type injuries, even unrecognized at the time, can put the bone "re-modeling" into action quicker. As it grows over, it extends into the nerves, causing you that pain.

I understand your frustration. I hope that they do something for you quickly. And I hope that you find a compassionate Dr. who will LISTEN to you.

Do you have access to a whirlpool tub? That can help. Also having someone press their elbow into the lumps, knots and muscle spasms will help. (Their hands usually get tired before it subsides) Also, lay on a tennis ball, and roll it around the bad areas....sounds funny, but it works.

Good luck.

Niki

Old 02-09-2003, 04:10 AM   #13
    NENE

NENE HB User
    NIKI
    I HAVE A BATH SPA, AND I USE IT OFTEN TOO. I GET THE PRESSURE POINT MASSAGE AT THE CHIROPRACTIC OFFICE AND HE HITS THEM ALL AND IT FEELS SO GOOD WHEN HE DO THEM, AND THAT IS THREE TIMES A WEEK, BUT WHEN I LEAVE IT IS A KILLER!!!! THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO, THEY WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF IT ALL SOON I HOPE AND PRAY. THEY SAY I HAVE A HERNIATED DISK. THAT IS BAD RIGHT??? DO ANYONE KNOW THE TREATMENT FOR THAT? THE MRI IS SUPPOSE TO SHOW THAT, BUT LAST YEAR IT WAS NEGATIVE. I AM JUST FRUSTRATED AND TIRED AT THIS POINT AND IN DENIAL TOO. I DID NOT KNOW IS WAS SO SERIOUS, BUT I KNEW IT WAS A PROBLEM BECAUSE PAIN DO NOT COME FOR NOTHING. I READ UP ON THE DISK PROBLEMS AND IT SAY SURGERY CAN FIX IT, BUT I AM SCARED OF LETTING THEM CUT ON ME, ESPECIALLY MY NECK. ANY SUGGESTIONS???? IS THAT GOOD? WILL IT HELP???

Old 02-09-2003, 06:05 AM   #14
    Niki47

Niki47 HB User
    Hi,

Go the "back problems" section of these boards, and there are lots of people in similar situations.

My problem involved other stuff, and I don't have a disc that could be repaired. But there are procedures, and the other members there can help you alot more about that. Read the posts about IDET, and things written by Telzey and the others.

Good luck,

Niki

Old 02-09-2003, 07:34 AM   #15
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi Nene,

Sorry you are experiencing so much frustration. It seems to go with the territory with necks. After you have the tests you could consider facet block injections, nerve blocks to help the hand/ arm pain or cervical epidural shots. These procedures are worth a try prior to surgery. They involve injection numbing medication and a steroid to help decrease the infammation and hopefully take the pressure off the disc if it is impinging on a nerve root and can help diagnose the problem area. Your doc may recommend them. I have had 3 lots of facet injections and they have helped alot for a whiplash neck injury. Good luck with the tests and treatment.
    Mel

Closed Thread