It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• HELP on Myelopathy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2003, 02:28 PM   #1
    br5512
    (male)

br5512 HB User
    Question HELP on Myelopathy

hello,,,2 weeks since i had my surgery (ACDF at C5-CC6
    AND C6-C7 with plating) had severe cervical spondylosis myelopathy,with symptoms of tingling in finge tips, fairly pain free,but main concern were the lower extremities,,little numbness in both legs (thigh areas),unbalanced gait,heaviness in legs, sensations under bottom of feet,spastisity in legs,,,,,,,,,,,i know it`s only been TWO weeks(since surgery) but it seems as if my legs feel the same?????except for the spastisity (tightness of legs)
    My question is,,,am i jumping the gun here and expecting too much too soon?? or was my sever condition of myelopathy,, mean, it will take awhile for sensations to return??
    THANK YOU SO MUCH,,,,,BOB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2003, 07:03 AM   #2
    Niki47

Niki47 HB User
    Dear Bob,

If those are the only problems you have, consider yourself a lucky man! You could have been a quadraplegic.

That said, here is what I know about the recovery of sensation and function...

Some recovery will be spontaneous, as you discovered. Other areas of the spinal cord that actually suffered damage will need to either heal, so that takes alot of time, or...

New pathways have to be established for the signal from your brain to the extrememties. For that, you need physical therapy, and LOTS of it!

You need to "bombard" your body with the new information, and that takes repetition. You are "relearning" things. Making new muscle memories. You have to learn to balance again. The legs have to be strengthened, and then the heaviness will ease. It may not go away completely... or, it may come and go. Other sensations will return, and you will feel odd tingles, itches and pains of all sorts. While a pain in the rear, they are indications that things are trying to work.

You have 6 months to a year in which to improve. Most studies however say that after 6 months, that is about as good as it gets. You can get stronger, more balanced, and extend your endurance levels.

Has your doctor said he sees a complete recovery as a possibility? If so, you are lucky. Just keep working on it. Good luck.

Niki47

Old 02-08-2003, 07:30 AM   #3
    Niki47

Niki47 HB User
    Dear Bob,

Me again. I re-read your post. Having Spondylosis with myelopathy, I wonder...

Did your Dr. explain that your surgery was NOT a cure?? It would only halt the progression of the deterioration? The prognosis for your future depends greatly on the condition you were in when you had the surgery.

Do you use a walker or cane? Do you have other nuero deficits?? Did you have bowel or bladder problems pre-op?? All of these things might give me a better indication of your actual condition, so I could compare it to some of my complaints and then better give you any suggestions based on my own experience.

Well, anyways... sorry if my tone seemed abrupt. I am having a crap day myself with some of these same problems. But I want to leave you on a positive note... It as all about your attitude and drive to get well now. Before long, you will be allowed to start PT. Work at it, and it will come. You will have bad days, but your good days will soon outnumber them.

Again, good luck with it all. I know that it is scary and frustrating.

Niki47

Old 02-12-2003, 01:55 PM   #4
    Jeannie45

Hi again Bob,

Never mind my question about the myelopathy. Niki pretty much answered my question. You're right.

Niki, if you are out there, thanks for the info. I go back to the doctor on the 17th, and I will have myself a list of questions to take with me. I think a lot of times, if you don't ask, they forget to address it. Take care, and I wish you better days for the future.
    Jeannie

Closed Thread