It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Smacking into walls

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2003, 11:56 PM   #1
PsychLea
Veteran
(female)

PsychLea HB User
Post Smacking into walls

HI

This is kindof an embarassing situation. I have noticed in the last 3 days that my equilibrium is off and I have literally been smacking into door jambs and ran into a column in the cafeteria. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif I don't know if it is the meds I am taking, or the long hours, or what, but it does concern me a little bit.

I take no pain meds during the day except Ultram and only one or two Darvocts at night. SO what gives?

On a good note, I finally got my headset for work installed. Boy are my coworkers jealous http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/cool.gif

I see my NS next Monday. I am still on the large amt of prednisone due to my asthma. It has helped my pain some, but I am working so many hours average 10hr days, that I wonder if my old 42 y/o body is just fed up with me mistreating it.

Any comments would be appreciated.

------------------
God bless,

Lea

Lea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2003, 09:47 AM   #2
melanie dawn
Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
HI Lea,
You need to make sure the NS knows about the banging into things.That is how I first noticed my loss of balance and incoordination. I was told that it also represents the loss of kinestetic awareness, not knowing exactly where all of you is . I am not trying to scare you, but I wish I had known more at the time , maybe it would have helped get this all together sooner.How is your balance, can you walk on your toes,your heels, also can you walk in tandem; you know toe to heel(sobriety test). Just as important, if you stand with your feet together, arms at your side with your eyes closed, do you lose your balance?
Those are all simple things that you can try at home, it might give you some answers.
Have to tell you that I got quite a chuckle out of you wearing your sweater backwards.
Please take care of yourself, your in my thoughts.
Mel

[This message has been edited by melanie dawn (edited 02-12-2003).]
Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 02-12-2003, 09:47 PM   #3
PsychLea
Veteran
(female)

PsychLea HB User
Hi Melanie

I see the NS this coming Monday, definitely going to talk to him. I have no problem walking on my toes or heels, but tandem walking and standing with eyes close is a no go.

As for the sweater, it got worse. One of the patients I interviewed with my sweater inside out, was being discharged from the hosp and I stopped to see her. She remarked "I see you have your clothes right side on today She said, "I didn't know if it was a test to see how depressed I was or not" and just giggled at me. Not a good thing to have happen at a psych hosp. I just told her my Mommy didn't dress me that day

I didn't take any pain meds last night, and the nerve pain down the arm is pretty uncomfortable. I still ran into a door today. I tell you, it has been very entertaining for my coworkers http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/jester.gif

I am on my 3rd day of 60mg Prednisone. Not touching the nerve pain, but muscle aches are better.

Thanks for the advice.Definitely will let the NS know on Monday.

------------------
God bless,

Lea

Lea

Old 02-13-2003, 03:12 AM   #4
melanie dawn
Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
Hi Lea,
How generous of you to provide all of this entertainment, to one and all.
So you tried the balance tests, I was hoping you would say they were fine. I also started with having trouble with the tandem and eyes closed balance.Unfortunately I fail them all now. I figure i might be able to do the heel one if only I could raise my toes hmmmm .
I see you are working alot of hours, are you managing that okay? And are you starting to get fatigued, its hard to do it all , when you are in pain.Just make sure you take care of yourself also. I have to admit, I miss work,I've been off since July. It's driving me nuts, this being home. But I barely manage here, so I think I'll be off for awhile yet.
Have a good day, I'll be thinking of you!, with a smile, thanks for sharing the humour.
Mel
Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 02-13-2003, 10:45 PM   #5
PsychLea
Veteran
(female)

PsychLea HB User
Mel,

Good luck on your trip to the Windy City!

Oh, I am working alot of hours. We had 3 people leave the dept since November, and they are just getting around to replacing ONE! I work approximately 55 hours a week and since my husb has been out of work, I have no choice. Not good when you have alot of health problems. I am on a lot of prednisone for asthma flair up and then put the gastroparesis and the cervical herniation on top, and I can be quite entertaining to watch http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

I am very tired and look pretty run down. Fall into bed every nite and just pray my muscles will stop spasming so I can relax and snooze.

So far, my sense of humor has held up and I really enjoy working with my doctors. They allow me to kid them and I NEVER cut them any slack. They also respect me as a professional, so that makes it all worthwhile for me.

Yeah, the tandem walking and proprioception test did kinda cause me concern. But then, I like using big words like proprioception I think I will try that phrase out on my NS and maybe work in "kinestetic perception" too. LOL

Anyhoo, I am tired (read exhausted), but like the challenge of my job, but hate the hours and not being able to be home in the evening to be with my precoscious 7 y/o son. I have the opportunity to move to the 8-5 slot here in a few months, but have to train the new people they will eventually hire.

I have rambled enough. I will be praying for your trip and that your doc will have the wisdom to treat you

------------------
God bless,

Lea

Lea

Closed Thread