It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• What is Gliosis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2003, 07:58 PM   #1
    Wyidelode

Wyidelode HB User
    Post What is Gliosis?

History: Laminectomy of C3-4 20 years ago, with some muscular atrophy witnessed.
    For 18 months I have been experiencing weakness in my left shoulder (no numbness/pain) and have difficulty raising my elbow above the level of my ear. I have seen my left deltoid atrophy a great deal, IMO. Neurologist......MRI......EMG......inter pretation...
    The radiologist had 8 "impressions"/conclusions......among them:
    #5: At C5-6 level, there is evidence or area of increased signal intensity within the cervical cord consistent with GLIOSIS."
    #6: Area of severe spinal stenosis at the C5-6 level with broad based 3MM disc protrusion seen."
    Questions:
    1) What is Gliosis? I found Glioma in Webbster's and that's cancer!
    2) What does the referrence "increased signal intensity" mean?
    On the first page titled "Findings" it said:
    re: C5-6..."There is also evidence of severe area spinal stenosis with AP diameter of 6 MM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2003, 08:23 PM   #2
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Hi Wyide,
    I just found this:
    "Answer Posted By: CCF-Neuro-M.D.-JT on Thursday, September 20, 2001: Gliosis is a nonspecific term we use to describe brain tissue that is reactive to any kind of brain lesion like tumor, infection, brain surgery, stroke, or trauma. If he does not have any history of brain trauma or surgery, he should consider getting an MRI with contrast especially if he has leg weakness opposite to the side of the "gliosis", severe headaches, or behavioral changes. "

This was taken out of context, as it were, from another board, but if you just do a search for "gliosis" you will find some things about it.

Oh, and was it you asking about "signal intensity"? I'm not sure just what that means, but it refers to the signal being "read", I guess you can say, by the MRI or CAT scan. Some things have low signal, and others are characterized by high signal, as I see it.
    wr

Closed Thread