HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Spinal Cord Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/)
-   -   Posterior Cervical Foraminotmy C6/7 left side (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/961877-posterior-cervical-foraminotmy-c6-7-left-side.html)

shido55 09-03-2013 04:09 PM

Posterior Cervical Foraminotmy C6/7 left side

I had a posterior cervical forarminotomy on C/6 C/7 two weeks ago. I still have numbness in my left index finger and thumb. This area is improving but at a slow pace based on my expectations. My main concern is I have a burning sensation on my left side of my shoulder blade. I spoke to my N/S and he told me this sensation is not out of the ordinary and should improve with time. He told me to continue with my muscle relaxers and pain meds. It feels like Mr. Spock from Star Trek did a Vulcan nerve pinch on my neck. Ouch!

Has anyone else out there experienced these symptoms after a posterior cervical foraminotomy on level C6/C7?

I would appreciate any input.

Regards

WebDozer 09-04-2013 07:23 AM

Re: Posterior Cervical Foraminotmy C6/7 left side

I had the same op - but at C4-5 - and don't remember any such symptoms. I would not be alarmed by them, though, so soon after the operation.

Btw, can you say exactly what the foraminotomy was for? What was it that was obstructing the foramen? Something coming from in front (disk, disk/osteophyte complex, uncovertebral joint hypertrophy) or just something coming from behind (off the facet joint)?

shido55 09-04-2013 10:19 AM

[QUOTE=WebDozer;5219381]I had the same op - but at C4-5 - and don't remember any such symptoms. I would not be alarmed by them, though, so soon after the operation.

Btw, can you say exactly what the foraminotomy was for? What was it that was obstructing the foramen? Something coming from in front (disk, disk/osteophyte complex, uncovertebral joint hypertrophy) or just something coming from behind (off the facet joint)?[/QUOTE]

The foraminotomy was performed to remove osteophytes obstructing the foramen. In plain English the operation was to remove bone spurs to remove pressure on the nerve in the C5/6 area.

Does this help?

Thanks so much for your reply and insight.

WebDozer 09-04-2013 10:25 AM

Actually, I was more interested in WHERE the obstructions were coming from. Osteophytes commonly grow from in front (d-o-c's and uncovertebral hypertrophy) but they can also come from behind, that is, growing off the facet joints.

My interest is based on the number of people who post MRI's that indicate foraminotomies would be useful IF the operation could access the front side of the foramina.

shido55 09-06-2013 10:20 AM

I believe you are way ahead of me on the knowledge of posterior cervical foraminotomies. My MRI stated that in the C6/7 area I had severe left foraminol narrowing from uncovertabral osteophytes with a contribution from mild facet arthropathy. The central canal is adequately patent. I did review my MRI with the radiologist. He came to the conclusion that a posterior cervical forminotomy would be my best option to relieve pressure on my nerve. I did not have any disc herniation.
My neurosurgeon came up with the same conclusion as my radiologist as to what surgical procedure would be best for my situation. Based on the expertise of my neurosurgeon as well as speaking with several on his patients I selected to go with the surgery. As I have stated before the numbness in my left thumb and left index finger is diminishing. My current pain is to the left of my incision located in the trapezes muscle on the left hand side. My pain seems to increase as the day moves on.

I hope this provides you the insight you were looking for.

Regards

WebDozer 09-06-2013 11:35 AM

Thanks.... so most of the obstruction was coming from in front (uncovertebral joint) and a little bit from behind (facet joint). I'll assume that the surgeon trimmed off some of both.

If your C7 nerve was trapped before, it now has more room, which means it can expand. This expansion/healing may cause sensations by itself for a time. My totally uneducated guess about the neck pain is that it's muscular, since it increases as the day goes by. I suppose a neck muscle may have been moved aside or aggravated a bit by the surgery. Hopefully that's all it is.

By the way, was yours an outpatient procedure?

shido55 09-06-2013 12:02 PM

Yes, the procedure was outpatient. The operation took about one hour and ten minutes. The procedure started at 7:30AM and I was home by 11:30 AM.

Thanks for your reassurance that my pain is muscular. It makes it easier to cope with the pain. At around 3:00PM I end up taking a pain pill. I do not like taking pain meds but I find it a necessary.

Cheers

shido55 10-08-2013 09:06 AM

Hello All,

It has been 8 weeks since my posterior cervical foraminotomy on level c/6c/7. I still have slight numbness with my left index finger and left thumb. It feels almost the same as before surgery. My main concern was pain in my upper left portion of my shoulder blade. The rhomboid and trapeze’s muscles. After surgery these areas were very sore and my muscles burned on occasion. I spoke to my N/S and he told me this was common after my procedure. I have had incremental reduced soreness and burning in my left shoulder blade. The progress is very slow. After 8 weeks I thought all my soreness would be gone. There seems to be more sore muscles then burning muscles now after 8 weeks.

Has anyone else out there had the same experiences as I am having?