It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

New To Forum

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2003, 03:17 PM   #1
jbell95

jbell95 HB User
Post New To Forum

I am in my early 40s and recently learned that I have spondylosis, loss of curve, cervical bulging at c3-4 and c4-5 and protrusion and compression at c5-6 and c6-7. I have pain in the back of my neck that radiates down my left arm with numbness and tingling in the fingers of my left hand. I have had PT, traction and an epidural injection so far. I take Darvocet, Flexeril and Vioxx. Nothing to date has helped. I have an appointment to see a neuro in April. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions that anyone can provide as to what I can do to help myself get better.

C3-C6 straightening of normal cervical curvature.
C2-T1 mild central spondylosis without significant stenosis.
C3-C4 broad-based spondylosis and bulging with mild to moderate flattening of the anterior epidural space.
C4-C5 broad-based spondylosis and bulging eccentric to the left with mild to moderate compression upon the anterior epidural space.
C5-C6 spondylosis with a broad-based protrusion with moderate compression of the anterior epidural space.
C6-C7 mild central spondylosis and a small midline protrusion with minimal flattening of the anterior epidural space.

03/28/03 Myelogram/CT.

04/02/03 Lumbar MRI:
bulging disc L4-L5, DDD.

04/24/03 Brain MRI.

05/16/03 Nerve Conduction Studies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2003, 04:39 PM   #2
KeithEugeneW
Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
Sounds like when us guys hit our 40's our necks go down the tubes! I have the same problem with my neck down through my right side, whereas yours is your left. I tried PT with no results, and had my first of 3 epidural injections 2 weeks ago. While it did help with one particular sore spot on the front of my shoulder near the socket, all the other symptoms remain. I'm going to give the next 2 shots the benefit of the doubt and try to remain optimistic, but I am also a realist, so I expect surgery is probably my only real option unless I want to remain in zombieland on Neurontin for the rest of my days. I was originally quite nervous about ACDF surgery, but after reading the posts on this board, I am strangely relaxed about that option. I wish you the best of luck with your situation, I know it can wear you down physically as well as emotionally. You said that you had an epidural injection, as in just one. Was there a reason they didn't give you the standard series of 3 ?

Old 02-27-2003, 04:54 PM   #3
jbell95

jbell95 HB User
I have the second injection next Thursday. I was injured at work and I'm dealing with the slow WC system.

C3-C4 broad-based spondylosis and bulging with mild to moderate flattening of the anterior epidural space.
C4-C5 broad-based spondylosis and bulging eccentric to the left with mild to moderate compression upon the anterior epidural space.
C5-C6 spondylosis with a broad-based protrusion with moderate compression of the anterior epidural space.
C6-C7 mild central spondylosis and a small midline protrusion with minimal flattening of the anterior epidural space.

03/28/03 Myelogram/CT.

04/02/03 Lumbar MRI:
bulging disc L4-L5, DDD.

04/24/03 Brain MRI.

Old 02-27-2003, 06:26 PM   #4
melanie dawn
Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
Hi jbell95,
Welcome to the board, I know you will find a wealth of support and info here.
My first and most important piece of advice is to read the old posts as well as the new, and ask about any questions that arise. The next thing you need to do , is a comprehensive research of your condition. The knowledge will give you some sense of control in dealing with this. Also knowledge is power and it will help you to know which questions to ask your doc, and to realize and understand the answers you recieve. Unfortuneatly not all docs are great at explaining things. Neither are all of them experts. By having some baseline knowledge you can make sense of your symptoms,and what your body is telling you . Just as important you can explain these clearly, we all know about docs that are overbooked and in a hurry. This way you can be precise and to the point.
Good luck to you! Mel
Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 02-28-2003, 05:06 AM   #5
jbell95

jbell95 HB User
Hi Mel, thank you for the advice. Yes, I have been trying to read everthing that I can find. Being an RN (Labor and Delivery) I have seen too many MDs that don't really take the time with their patients to explain symptoms, problems, etc. The patients end up asking the RNs. Luckily I still have my nursing texts and can use those as references as well as the internet. Keep in touch, okay?

03/28/03 Myelogram/CT.

04/02/03 Lumbar MRI:
bulging disc L4-L5, DDD.

04/24/03 Brain MRI.

Closed Thread