It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Can anyone give an opinion on what this MRI means.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
    Sherri-357
    (female)

Sherri-357 HB User
    Question Can anyone give an opinion on what this MRI means?

Hello I am 51 years old and have been living with pain, numbness, tingling, dizziness and a whole bunch of other symptoms related to the nerves in my neck for a long time. I am currently trying to get disability because my arms, shoulders, and hands are just SOOO weak and painful. Can anyone give me an opinion of how those symptoms are related to this MRI.

Moderate spondylosis of the cervical spine. Diffuse degenerative disc desease. The contents of imaged posterior fossa reveal no definate abnormality. The cervical cord appears normal in signal intesity and caliber. Moderate atlantodental osteoarthritis.

C2-C3 Mild broad based disc bulge. Mild facet hyperthropy. No central canal stenosis. No neural foraminal narrowing.

C3-C4 Small posterior disc osteophyte complex. Moderate facet hyperthropy. No central canal stenosis. Mild right neural foraminal narrowing. No left neural foraminal narrowing.

C4-C5 Moderate broad based disc bulge. Moderate to severe facet hyperthropy. No central canal stenosis. Moderate left neural foraminal narrowing. Mild right neural foraminal narrowing.

C5-C6 Moderate posterior disc osteophyte complex. Moderate facet hyperthropy. Mild central canal stenosis. Moderate to severe left neural foraminal narrowing. Mild right neural foraminal narrowing.

C6-C7 Large posterior disc osteophyte complex. Moderate facet hyperthropy. Moderate central canal stenosis. Severe left foraminal narrowing. No significant right neural foraminal narrowing.

C7-T1 No central canal stenosis or nueral foraminal narrowing.

IMPRESSION:

1. MODERATE SPONYLOSIS OF THE CERVICAL SPINE WITHOUT EVIDENCE OF FRACTURE OR SUBLUXATION.
    2.CENTRAL CANAL STENOSIS AT C5-C6 AND C6-C7, MOST SEVERE AT C6-C7 AS DESCRIBED.
    3. MULTILEVEL NEURAL FORAMINAL NARROWING MOST SEVERE WITHIN THE LEFT C6-C7 NEURAL.

Last edited by Sherri-357; 09-06-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Can anyone give an opinion on what this MRI means?

The key is in the adjectives, and the adjectives he uses are standard for radiologists, so I'll give my best interpretation....

minimal - I can just make it out

mild - clearly there, but unlikely to be problematic

moderate - possibly problematic

severe - probably problematic

So I'd just look at those places where he says there's a "severe" abnormality, which are the left-side foramina at C5-6 and C6-7.

The foramina are the openings in the front/sides of the spinal cage through which pass the spinal nerves after they leave the spinal cord and head down into your arms. The C6 nerve leaves from the C5-6 level and the C7 nerve from the C6-7 level.

You can see graphics of where those nerves go by looking up "c6 + dermatome" or "c7 + dermatome". The C6 runs down the front of the arm and forearm and into the thumb and - partially - the index finger. The C7 runs down the outside of the arm and into the index and middle fingers.

Impingement of these nerves as they pass through the foramina could have various effects on the arms and fingers.... weakness, tingling, pain, or just a general "sick" feeling.

In your case, of course, these effects would be limited to the left arm and hand. Unless the radiologist misread the images, there does not seem to be any problem that would affect the right side.

Last edited by WebDozer; 09-06-2013 at 06:08 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    Sherri-357 (09-09-2013)
    Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
    Sherri-357
    (female)

Sherri-357 HB User

Thank You WebDozer. Do you know anything about the atlantodental osteoarthritis thing in the beginning of the report?? I've been reading, on the web, that it's very rare and usually caused by a severe throat infection. I am wondering if it's something to worry about and if it can be caused by an injury from being hit hard in the back of the head. I had mumps when I was a kid and my parents did not take me to the doctor for it. Also my father is a violent man and his favorite thing to do, to me and my brothers, was come up behind us and hit us in the back of the head. I ask this because I have had neck pain going as far back as 8 years old.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Sorry, Sherri.... the atlantodental is above my limited area of knowledge. Perhaps one of the other boards in the Brain and Nervous System group would have someone who can help?

Last edited by WebDozer; 09-09-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    arms, arthritis, cervical, neck, pain