It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Physical therapy after disc fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2003, 01:20 AM   #1
    mustang GT

mustang GT HB User
    Question Physical therapy after disc fusion

My father had cervical disc fusion around 6 weeks ago. The discs he had done were C4-5, C5-6. He had bone taken from his neck and he had the cage and plate put in. He recently had an x-ray and the doctor said he can start to see some fusing already which he was surprised about. Just today my dad started physical therapy cause the doctor said he was ready for it and at physical therapy they had him turn his neck as far as he can. Now my dad says he has a lot of pain in the middle of his neck right in the area where the fusion was. I was wondering if there could be damage done now cause of the physical therapy? All he did was turn his head, but now he says it hurts a lot and the pain relivers won't even help the pain. Could it be muscle soreness? Or could it be normal pain from the new bone area being turned? Has anybody else experienced this at physical therapy? And is around 6 weeks too soon for physical therapy? O.k, thanks in advance for any replies.

------------------
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own" - Bruce Lee -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2003, 11:37 AM   #2
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    mustang-

Your father should speak wih his doctor, but the pain you describe may be due to overdoing it. I had a signficant amount of neck pain myself last night. In fact, I hadn't been that uncomfortable since my last day in the hospital. It sounds like the same pain that you describe and I'm attributing mine to doing too much yesterday. I control my pain with over the counter tyenol, but needed a little percocet last night.

Hope he's feeling better
    BWL

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 03-04-2003, 05:46 PM   #3
    Nanner
    Veteran
    (female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User
    Mustang, I don't know if they are doing PT too soon, as I did not have any plate or cage with my ACDF. Because of that I was about 10 weeks out before starting PT. I will say that your father should not try to turn his head farther than he is comfortable with at this point, and he should not allow the therapist to turn his head for him. That's too much like traction and it's too soon for that. No pulling on his neck, no forcing a turn for him.

He may have just pushed too hard and a few days' rest will relieve the pain he experienced. Hope so!

------------------
    Nancy D-ACDF C6-7 on 6/7/02. Donor bone with no hardware

Closed Thread