It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

husband had his level 3 acdf on Thursday,Sept.5

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
vickiem55
(female)

vickiem55 HB User
Unhappy husband had his level 3 acdf on Thursday,Sept.5

doctor sent him home today on Friday Sept.6th. The doctor did not give him any kind of collar to wear at all, said he did not need one, did not tell us how he was to sleep or what to sleep on or anything, very vague.We were given a cervical stem bone growth stimulator, that he has to wear 4 hours every day for the next 6-9 months. Does this actually work in helping the fusion? I had also asked for some kind of home health nurse to help me with my husband, but the doctor and the case manager said medicare would not pay for one since he was not ambulatory and could walk and get around. I need one though in case he was to fall or do something to injure himself, I am only 100 lbs and cannot help pick up my husband or manage him by myself and also do not have anyone to be with him ,if I have to run errands or such, since he cannot be left alone right now from what I have read in post ops papers? What can I do and has anyone else have a doctor who did not give them a neck brace/collar at all. I was scared to drive him home and to the store with him not wearing anything for protection.

The following user gives a hug of support to vickiem55:
pashie (09-07-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
WebDozer
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: husband had his level 3 acdf on Thursday,Sept.5

I can't comment on your husband's case, but I have had three different cervical operations and never worn a collar afterwards. In one case, I wasn't even given a collar, in one the surgeon said "you can wear one if you want to but it doesn't really matter", and in the third they put a collar on me in the recovery room and the surgeon came in an hour later, took the collar off and said he didn't want me to wear one.

That's my experience. I realize there is a WIDE range of opinion and practice in the use of collars, but I suspect a lot of it has to do with the surgeons' fears of lawsuits.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
pashie
(female)

pashie HB Userpashie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickiem55 View Post
doctor sent him home today on Friday Sept.6th. The doctor did not give him any kind of collar to wear at all, said he did not need one, did not tell us how he was to sleep or what to sleep on or anything, very vague.We were given a cervical stem bone growth stimulator, that he has to wear 4 hours every day for the next 6-9 months. Does this actually work in helping the fusion? I had also asked for some kind of home health nurse to help me with my husband, but the doctor and the case manager said medicare would not pay for one since he was not ambulatory and could walk and get around. I need one though in case he was to fall or do something to injure himself, I am only 100 lbs and cannot help pick up my husband or manage him by myself and also do not have anyone to be with him ,if I have to run errands or such, since he cannot be left alone right now from what I have read in post ops papers? What can I do and has anyone else have a doctor who did not give them a neck brace/collar at all. I was scared to drive him home and to the store with him not wearing anything for protection.

Vickie I am in Canada and before you leave the hospital a social worker asks if you need help at home. Von is free. Maybe you should call your hospital and ask social worker and tell her your fears. You need help just to bathe him etc. Please let me know how you make out. Also 911 here will pick a patient of the floor if he falls. You are in a hard place and if I was there I would help you. hugs pashie

Old 09-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
pashie
(female)

maybe your family doctor will know what to do....(((((hugs))))) pashie

Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
pashie
(female)

Smile Re: husband had his level 3 acdf on Thursday,Sept.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashie View Post
maybe your family doctor will know what to do....(((((hugs))))) pashie
Vickie I am thinking of you both and praying he is mending. I am 72 myself and my late husband (2 and 1/2 yrs ago) had cardiac, dementis and Parkinson's to so I know how hard this for both of you. You guys can do it...hang in there....((((hugs) pashie

The Following User Says Thank You to pashie For This Useful Post:
vickiem55 (09-10-2013)
Closed Thread