It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Spinal stenosis problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
    chall4419
    (female)

chall4419 HB User
    Spinal stenosis problems

I have been diagnosed with spinal stenosis of the lower lumbar (3), as well as osteoarthritis in my spine. The Stenosis has been causing extreme pain in my left leg for more than two years. Now I cannot put off surgery any longer. Being a very active (almost) 69 year old, I have put off surgery for 3 years now. Rather than have extensive surgery, with lots of nuts and bolts screwed in my back, at my age I will go for the simpler procedure of a small incision of removing bone spurs from my lower lumbar. Not to take anything away from the extreme pain I have been in for so long, having already gone the routs of injections (failed), chiropractic treatment, water aerobics, physical therapy, every conceivable pain killer imaginable, I am now itching all over my body, broken out in tiny bumps, that I have scratched the blood out of to try to relieve the terrible itch. My first dermatologist diagnose itch as Contact Dermatoligy , translated to mean, "I don't know what it is." My primary care physician decided it was psoriasis. I went to new Dermatologist a month ago and his first question was, "Do you have back pain?" I answered yes is spinal stenosis. He said, "That's your problem. The nerve endings are compressed and the itching is coming from your spinal problems." I said all that, which is way to much, just to ask anyone, "Have you ever heard of that?" I have never heard of itching coming from spinal problems.. He prescribed a topical for the itch and it helps a little while but must be applied 3 or 4 times daily. Anyone who has had/heard of this problem, please answer. Colleen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
    mary884
    (female)

mary884 HB User
    Re: Spinal stenosis problems

I have the same issue, was dx 5 years ago and have been able to manage with stretches and excercises now it has gone into buttocks and thigh along with itching and pain going down the leg, will see dr this thurs. I have been using ice, heat, over the counter cortisone but have gotten little relief. I hardly make it through the nite but have no rash just from scratching.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
    chall4419
    (female)

chall4419 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marygonz View Post
    I have the same issue, was dx 5 years ago and have been able to manage with stretches and excercises now it has gone into buttocks and thigh along with itching and pain going down the leg, will see dr this thurs. I have been using ice, heat, over the counter cortisone but have gotten little relief. I hardly make it through the nite but have no rash just from scratching.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
    chall4419
    (female)

chall4419 HB User

I will have surgery on the 27'th. I am scared to death but I am down to no other choices. Although I will be 69 years old in Nov. I am still young at heart and still want to work with special needs children and reach out to help the families. That is so difficult lying flat on my back, looking and counting the ceiling tiles and reading books. I pray the surgery will allow me to continue my passion. Pray for me. I will pray for you. I have a positive attitude, I always try to surround with happy people who can still laugh at my corny jokes. I think that helps a lot. Good luck and thanks for your post.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #5
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

There is a new post on the "Back Problems" board asking if spinal stenosis can cause itching. You might find it interesting reading!

Good luck with your surgery.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

CT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB User

Yes, I have had compressed nerves cause a terrible tickly feeling both in my lower back and neck/scapula area. Mine is presently in my neck when it gets bad and the muscles lock up.

In my case the tickling occurs when the nerves are irritated or compressed, but not terribly so. When irritation or nerve compression was bad, it was fiery and painful. Then it would start to clear up with rest and go down to a tickling feeling. But some sensation was always there.

Closed Thread