It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

need some info please!!!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2003, 10:30 AM   #1
reena

reena HB User
Post need some info please!!!

hello
my boyfriend had a bad accident on jan 6 2003.
He shifted his spinal cord and hurt is c4-5,which was fixed with a bone from his hip (i guess they call it a fusion) anyways he is now in a wheelchair. In the beginning the doctors were saything that he wasnt going to be able to walk. But right after the surgery her starting moving his right toes and leg, throughout time his whole leg, arm, couple of finger all came back. The left side is weaker then the right side, but it is still making progress.
I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them, and what was the outcome in longterm, so we kind of have and idea to what to expect. He has come a long way, he even walks with a walker, but he finds it difficult sometimes balancing, is that gonna get better with time, does anyone know if all his fingers will come back. At first his hands where in a fist, couldt open or close his hands, now he can move most of his fingers but there isnt too much grip. pls reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2003, 04:16 PM   #2
joprud
Inactive

joprud HB User
Hi reena,

Congratulations to your boyfriend for comming as far as he has, that's awesome. I'm not familiar with fusion and it's recovery but I know someone will be along soon who does. I just wanted to say best of luck to him and that his determination has, and I'm sure will continue to, take him a long way. It has already taken him way past what the docs believed so I wouldn't worry about what they may think his capabilities are. Between his determination and good attitude and your support I believe he can go far.

Best of luck to you both.
My prayers are with you.

Take Care,
Joanne

------------------
  • At the age of 8, Sept 63, bad fall on back on stairs compression fractures of D6 and D8
  • Diagnosed DDD 1993
  • C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac Mild stenosis of neural foramina
  • C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing v t s .Mild stenosis of neural foramina
  • C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing v t s . Mild stenosis of neural foramina
  • C7-T1 Small perineural cysts present in both neural foramina.
  • left convex scoliosis of mid thoracic spine. wedging of T7. wedging of T5 .degenerative end plate changes at T8-T9
  • L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing v t s. hypertrophy of facet joints, minimal central spinal stenosis.
  • L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.
  • S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.

Old 03-02-2003, 06:16 PM   #3
melanie dawn
Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
Hi there Reena,
welcome to the board. I'm so sorry to hear about your boyfriend. And I have to congratulate you both on your courage, for i'm sure that your support has gone a long way to helping him with his recovery.
Unfortunatly, I cannot answer your questions on prognosis. He has already surpassed the Dr's prediction.Without having all of the info in front of me, its hard to have an opinion. Even for the docs with the info it is only an opinion. YOur boyfriends inner strength and determination will take him a long way. The process will likely be one of time and commitment. With physio and occupational therapy he will have alot of help.Councelling may also be valuable in helping to cope with these changes and demands.
Issues of balance and strength, coordination can be adressed with physio. Some things will be a matter of relearning, and adjusting to new ways of doing things.
He is up and moving, this is the most encouraging sign. With his strength and determination, and the support to help him keep going when it all seems overwhelming,he has the tools to work towards recovery, and regaining his life.
Best of luck to you both,keep us updated when you have time, and dont forget to pop in and blow off steam or ask questions when needed. Mel
Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 03-02-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
joprud
Inactive

joprud HB User
Hey

I just noticed all three of us are from Canada.

Where abouts are you reena? Mel and I discovered we are in neighbouring cities.

Keep Smilin'

Take Care,
Joanne

------------------
  • At the age of 8, Sept 63, bad fall on back on stairs compression fractures of D6 and D8
  • Diagnosed DDD 1993
  • C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac Mild stenosis of neural foramina
  • C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing v t s .Mild stenosis of neural foramina
  • C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing v t s . Mild stenosis of neural foramina
  • C7-T1 Small perineural cysts present in both neural foramina.
  • left convex scoliosis of mid thoracic spine. wedging of T7. wedging of T5 .degenerative end plate changes at T8-T9
  • L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing v t s. hypertrophy of facet joints, minimal central spinal stenosis.
  • L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.
  • S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.

[This message has been edited by joprud (edited 03-02-2003).]

Old 03-05-2003, 07:33 AM   #5
reena

reena HB User
Thank you for replying to me.
Makes me feel a lot better.

I am from vancouver, bc.

Old 03-05-2003, 02:11 PM   #6
bdb

bdb HB User
Hello, Here is another one from British Columbia, Canada. This makes 4 now.I just found this site and have not read a lot yet. Reena, I hope that your boyfriend keeps progressing and gets stronger as each day passes.
bdb

Old 03-05-2003, 02:36 PM   #7
BWL
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
Joanne-

Isn't there some board guideline about the number of Canadians allowed on at any given time?

I imagine you guys can share your insurance issues.

Bruce

------------------
ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 03-05-2003, 03:51 PM   #8
joprud
Inactive

joprud HB User
Hi Bruce,

I know you were challenging the gal from Texas but don't be messin' with us Canadians eh! We can be a fierce lot

Take Care,
Joanne

Old 03-05-2003, 03:58 PM   #9
bdb

bdb HB User
" I imagine you guys can share your insurance issues"

"We can be a fierce lot"
Especially when it comes to health issues!
bdb

Old 03-05-2003, 06:01 PM   #10
BWL
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
Okay, in the interest of solid fusion and international relations I extend the olive branch to our Canadian sisters and brothers. I also promise to spend tourist dollars in the region this summer.

------------------
ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 03-05-2003, 06:38 PM   #11
joprud
Inactive

joprud HB User
Hey There,

Way to back me up bdb! Thank you. See... us Canadians stick together. But we are also a peace lovin' bunch so...olive branch accepted.

Take Care,
Joanne

Old 03-05-2003, 06:54 PM   #12
bdb

bdb HB User
Wink

Anytime, Joprud.
bdb

Closed Thread