It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

still no answers/need your help

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2003, 12:51 PM   #1
timmy k

timmy k HB User
Post still no answers/need your help

Thankyou for this message board. I am new to this so please bear with me. Can anybody give me their opinions and or advice. I was in a accident 4 months ago. At the time of the accident I had minor neck pain, pain in the funny bone area of the elbow of the right arm and # 2,4 and 5 fingers and palm area down to the wrist were numb and tingling. In the emergency room they took Xrays which they said just showed a neck strain and said if pain didnt go away in 3 days see your doctor. After 3 days pain worsened so I went to the doctor. After his exam he ordered a MRI. The MRI showed there was "a small central anterior and posterior disc protrusion (subligamentous herniation), along with mild bony hypertrophy at C5-6. The bony and disc changes are causing mild central thecal sac compression at C5-6." The doctor said that would cause the problem in my 2nd finger but the problem in fingers 4-5 are in a different area of the neck and nothing showed up in the MRI for that. After 4 months now the problem has gotten worse and spread to the other hand now. Every morning the 4th-5th fingers and palm area down to wrist are completely numb in both hands now. It will subside alittle but now completely go away. My 2nd finger on the right hand is numb and tingles and is cold like ice most of the time and has now spread to the whole hand being like ice and will at times the whole hand will turn purple in color. And fingers 2-4 and 5 in both hands now are numb and tingle most of the time. After all this time the doctor says and is treating me for "cervical strain" with flexeril and I think it is called EMS and ice packs in the neck area. I want to believe the doctor but my symptoms have not improved but have gotten worse and spread after 4 months. Can ANYBODY help me? Does anybody have the same problem? Does anybody know WHAT COULD BE WRONG? Can anybody tell me what I should do? Thank you all for any and all information and help you can give me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2003, 01:07 PM   #2
CoffeeGirl

CoffeeGirl HB User
I wish I had some answers for you. All I can offer is support. I understand your frustration. Hopefully someone will have some good advice for you soon.

Old 03-06-2003, 01:12 PM   #3
joprud
Inactive

joprud HB User
Hi timmy k

I'm just learning this stuff myself so I'm affraid I can't be too much help. But my feeling definitly is, get a second opinion. If you feel your doctor is not taking you serious enough, and it sounds to me this is the case, than you need to find someone that will.

I know someone will be along soon who will be more helpful. I'm sorry that you are going thru this. I wish you the best of luck.

Take Care,
Joanne

Old 03-06-2003, 01:21 PM   #4
Debbie2
Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
I'm not much help either other than to tell you some of your symptons do show signs of C5-C6 disc nerve happings. My area of pain was elbow, arm, and numbness in hand (no feeling in the thumb whatsoever) and fingers at times. All on the right side. Personally I would recommend taking that MRI to a Neuro surgeon and let him have a look. For certain he can tell you what is happening or order more tests.
Just my 2 cents.
Debbie2

------------------
Debbie2
ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
September 4, 2002.

Old 03-06-2003, 01:21 PM   #5
kat721
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
Me too Timmy. I was in an accident over 20 years ago and I am still trying to get the right treatment.
I'm going to the Neurologist next week.
All you can do is try one thing then the next.
Go step by step and keep trying as long as there is some progress, because even the little pieces of relief will help you cope from day to day.
Spinal injurys are mysterious.
Accidents are mysterious.
It's often hard to know what gets a direct injury or what suffers from the shock wave to other parts of your body.
For me, I am always grateful to be able to walk and feed myself considering how serious some people come out of accidents.
As long as they are troubleshooting there's hope.
Hang in there and you will make progress.
kat

Old 03-06-2003, 02:45 PM   #6
CoffeeGirl

CoffeeGirl HB User
I'm having similar experiences. I posted about it too today.

It sounds like I am not the only one and that many of you have been frustrated by the variety of reactions/treatment plans from MD's.

Old 03-06-2003, 02:59 PM   #7
BWL
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
Hi Timmy-

Ditto everyone else here.

I was at C6-7 and had similar sypmtoms. Definitely get additional opinions. It sounds like someone is missing something that needs to be identified either with tests or expertise. Don't get discouraged!

best of luck
bruce

------------------
ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 03-06-2003, 03:27 PM   #8
Nanner
Veteran
(female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User
In addition to the tests you had, I would think and EMG of your right arm is in order. They need to find the genesis of the problems with your fingers, and that would help pinpoint the answer.

Good luck to you!

------------------
Nancy D-ACDF C6-7 on 6/7/02. Donor bone with no hardware

Old 03-06-2003, 03:37 PM   #9
charlotte1

charlotte1 HB User
Hi Timmy,
I agree with Debbie and Nanner. I would definately want a neuro surgeon to look at MRI. An EMG would also be beneficial. I'm sorry that you have entered the spinal problem world. It will test all your strengths. This board is great offering support and information. Keep looking for answers.
Charlotte

Closed Thread