It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Numb Lip and Chin after Cervical Epidural Injection?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2003, 05:07 PM   #1
KeithEugeneW
Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
Post Numb Lip and Chin after Cervical Epidural Injection?

I had my 2nd cervical epidural injection yesterday, and after I took a nap when I got home for a few hours I woke up with a pricky tingly feeling from my lower lip to my chin. It feels kind of like when novacaine has about half worn off after a dentist visit, like hot water is dribbling down my chin. I called the Dr. office today around noon after it still hadn't gone away and they didn't think it was anything to be alarmed about, but to call back right away if it got any worse. They didn't seem to think it was related to the injection, but I can't imagine that a coincidence like that would be likely. Is this anything anyone else has experienced after an injection? Should I be concerned? For what it's worth, my shoulder and arm feel considerably better than before I went, although my neck still hurts like it always does. I am also on 1200mg of neurontin daily if that makes any difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2003, 05:17 PM   #2
BWL
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
It's great that your pain is gone, but numbness elswhere is not usual. I would call your neurologist and explain the situation, not the person that gave you the epi.

good luck!
bwl

------------------
ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 03-07-2003, 09:04 PM   #3
Hunnibee

Hunnibee HB User
I have problems with C4-5, C5-6 and C6-7. When the pain/numbness go higher you just automatically panic.I can certainly sympathize with you because that's similar to what happened to me around 4:00am today.

I woke up in terrible pain in the base of my neck and my lower back (trouble there too). Each time my husband would roll over in the bed, it would set it off. Then I had pain in my chin, over the top of my ear and in my scalp above and over a little from my ear and in the left front of my neck. I was ready to go the emergency room but decided to try and wait it out because I had an appointment later in the morning with my Pain Management doctor anyway.

He made the necessary notes in my folder and seemed to know the exact nerve that was causing all of it. Sorry but I was in so much pain I couldn't remember the name of the nerve involved. He didn't seem like it was all that urgent and basically just gave me ms contin to add to my other medications to get me through since my ct-mylogram for my neck and back are scheduled for Wed. The vicodin and neurontin just wasn't doing the job for the pain. He says he thinks my ortho is just making further explorations to decide which to operate on first, my neck or back. I go back to my ortho the following Monday for the verdict. I've been suffering since last June. A good day for me lately is being able to get a shower and brush my teeth.

I just joined these boards. Although I don't know anyone and no one knows me, reading everyone's posts has kept me going lately. It's hard to explain but I guess after a while you can't help but to feel depressed with all the pain and there are several on this board that have been able to overcome it and give everyone a laugh every once in a while. Hopefully, before long, I can get to that point.

Sorry to ramble. Be sure and mention this to your doctor. Although it can be frightening, it's just due to the nerves being pressed.

Closed Thread