It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Myelogram advice, scared to death!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2003, 11:32 AM   #1
    dck696

dck696 HB User
    Red face Myelogram advice, scared to death!

If you remember my post from last week, I was begging for anyone who could tell me if you can have your pre-surgery myelogram done when your already under anesthesia for the actual surgery.

Today when I talked to my neurosurgeon's office, they said no, that's not likely. Then, feeling pretty sure of myself on THIS one, I asked if you could have valium or something to relax you atleast, and she said she doubted it.

This shocked me, as I've heard alot of people say it's been possible before. My sister has had some sort of sedation, and it's helped tremendously. (I don't have the same dr.) I'm more afraid of the myelogram than the actual ACDF itself, becuase the only other myelogram I had was terrible, I was passing out and not able to tell them.

Someone please help me on this one! What will help me with this fear? Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2003, 12:43 PM   #2
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    I can understand your fear and I can also understand the docs not wanting to sedate you as it nwould make it much more difficult to manipulate your body and get a good image. The tilting and moving lets the dye go wear they need it.

I pretty much used breathing techniques to get through the actual test. If you can really focus on your breathing (no holding) it may help.

I would also ask again about a valium. The test is pretty much just giving an idea of anatomy and I don't see how the test would be compromised by a little something to relax. I think I was given the okay to take something if I wanted to. Listen to your docs though, not me.

When is your test?

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 03-03-2003).]

Old 03-03-2003, 01:22 PM   #3
    dck696

dck696 HB User
    Thanks for your reply! The test isn't scheduled yet, I'm still doing the physical therapy part. But the doctor's office mentioned this morning that this is the direction I'm headed in. I'm hopeful the fact that I'm taking an antianxiety med (Lexapro) may help me for this test, since I wasn't taking it 4 years ago when I had the first myelogram--and was a basket case. I hope they don't make me stop taking it for the test! Thanks for your reponse.

Old 03-03-2003, 01:40 PM   #4
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    In my case I also felt that nothing anyone could do to me was worse than the discomfort I was in. Somewhat of a fatalist attitude, but a reasonable coping mechanism nonetheless. Kind of a come on and give it your best shot approach.

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 03-03-2003, 08:27 PM   #5
    franjo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

franjo HB User
    I don't know if this will help, or if I can even explain it, but when I have any 'anxiety-provoking' procedures done, I go somewhere else. I sort of become the observer or the neutral monitor in what is going on. (That doesn't even explain it well.) I know I've been using this technique since I was little, when I learned in school how pain travels to the brain. It occurred to me that pain, in itself, doesn't really exist until the brain gets that signal and tells the rest of our body "OW!" So I became the 'unbiased scientist' who monitored any pain, then let it pass on through.

I hope you don't think I'm crazy! I know it sounds weird, but remember, this originated in an 8 y/o mind! And it remains a coping mechanism that works for me.

I had an unpleasant experience with a myleogram once, and I know that can be very scary. Be sure to tell everyone involved about your last reaction, as I'm sure you have. Stress to your doctor the amount of anxiety you're feeling.

Did you ever find out why you were passing out? From the procedure itself, or anxiety?

-franjo

------------------
    Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; various developmental abnormalities of the spine.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
    Lumbar fusion-1968
    Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
    Femoral osteotomy-1971
    Tethered cord release-1987
    Rod removal-1987
    Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
    Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
    Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
    Lumbar fusion-1968
    Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
    Femoral osteotomy-1971
    Tethered cord release-1987
    Rod removal-1987
    Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
    Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
    Tethered cord release-2003
    Fusion with instrumentation with lots and lots of screws-2003

Old 03-04-2003, 10:05 AM   #6
    dck696

dck696 HB User

I hope you don't think I'm crazy! I know it sounds weird, but remember, this originated in an 8 y/o mind! And it remains a coping mechanism that works for me.

I had an unpleasant experience with a myleogram once, and I know that can be very scary. Be sure to tell everyone involved about your last reaction, as I'm sure you have. Stress to your doctor the amount of anxiety you're feeling.

Did you ever find out why you were passing out? From the procedure itself, or anxiety?

-franjo

[/B][/QUOTE]

You don't sound crazy or weird, I've heard of that coping technique, unfortunately, I get to keyed up to even do it! I was trying to pass out during my myelogram from the anxiety. I'd worked myself up into such a tizzy, then when I started feeling the pressure of the needle, it was a sickening sensation. And I kept thinking about "if I move it is dangerous", and the panic set in. One thing led to another. Yuck.

Thanks for your reply!

Old 03-07-2003, 09:02 PM   #7
    Dee2948

Dee2948 HB User
    dck696

I had myelogram doc let me take valium helped alot..My only advice is drink lots of water day before procedure so you will not get sick to your stomach during procedure.. Good luck

Closed Thread