It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Breathing Trouble After ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2003, 02:45 PM   #1
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Wink Breathing Trouble After ACDF

Deana,

I can't believe you fell for this topic. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

There are no breathing problems after ACDF, unless of course we might be conspiring to mislead you. Well done Sher .

I've notice that I only get the something stuck in my throat feeling when I flex (my neck) and even then it is a quickly passing sensation.

:Wave:

Bruce

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2003, 03:12 PM   #2
    deana p
    (female)

deana p HB User
    OK.....Im gonna hold you to this. !!!

Now that Ive heard about the staple thing...doesnt it hurt ??...and when they take them out ?? And what are "steristrips" or whatever ?....and why since Im doing a bone graft will I have to stay longer than over nite ?...9 MORE DAYS !

deana

------------------
    ***CHATA SIA HOKE***

Old 03-08-2003, 03:47 PM   #3
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    I've never had staples and couldn't really say how it feels living with them or having them removed.

I was amazed by stories of people like Soreneckman that only stayed in overnight. I was in for 3 days two nights. They had me on a 3 day course of IV antibiotics so I needed to be there to finish. I was in no condition to go home after my first night.

My doc just keeps people a little longer to be as sure as possible that there are no lingering issues from general anesthesia and that infection doesn't become a problem. Besides, the longer I stayed in the longer I had my morpihone pump.

Bruce

------------------

Old 03-08-2003, 04:06 PM   #4
    deana p
    (female)

deana p HB User
    Bruce

You always say the right things to brighten a dark ,scarry topic !!

I truly appreciate it !!

hope youre still here when I get home so I can whine and you say " its gonna be OK !!!!"...!!!

deana

------------------
    ***CHATA SIA HOKE***

Old 03-08-2003, 05:37 PM   #5
    liz777

liz777 HB User
    Exclamation

Apparently I have the same problem as sore neck man and my dr. said an overnight stay and sometimes you can leave the same day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hmmm.....!!!

------------------
    lizzy

Old 03-08-2003, 05:42 PM   #6
    deana p
    (female)

deana p HB User
    Liz
    are you too having the C5C6 fusion thing ??...if so are you gonna do the donor bone or your own bone thing ???

deana

------------------
    ***CHATA SIA HOKE***

Old 03-08-2003, 08:01 PM   #7
    SORENECKMAN
    (male)

SORENECKMAN HB User
    My hospital stay was extraordinary..I guess
    Gosh Darn
    No truly it was a magnificent experience,,, one night ,,felt fine next day, and only slept about 2 hours that night.. I was treated like Royalty... I am still trying to figure that one out.. I mean the nurses were constantly at my side,, the dr and drs were great, they gave me a private room without one word from me,, I really couldn't have asked for a more satisfying stay. I wish it was longer actually...

------------------
    ACDF WITH PLATING C5/6
    2/25/03

Old 03-08-2003, 09:55 PM   #8
    Nanner
    Veteran
    (female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User
    Leave the same day, Liz? Wow. I think I'd like to stay over one night "just in case", and if there are little kids at home I would definitely want the time to rest before heading home.

I could have gone home after one night, but that night I got hardly any sleep due to a moaner roomie. So they offered me an extra night (after Moana went home), and I got to be alone. Lots of rest, though I was up and walking the halls the second day and very ready to go home the third.

------------------
    Nancy D-ACDF C6-7 on 6/7/02. Donor bone with no hardware

Old 03-09-2003, 07:20 AM   #9
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Talking

Gee whiz snoreneckman are you joshin me? I saw your other "gosh darn" reference first and then this one. You made my day and I'm still laughing.

Deana - Has your doctor given you a choice on the bone graft options or did he say that he is going to use your hip bone and that's it? Do you smoke? And, of course I'll be here after your surgery.

Liz, I agree with Nancy regarding length of stay. I have trouble believing that a hospital's insurance would allow them to discharge someone on the same day. Again, the affects of general anesthesia should be monitored for more than one day as your organs wake up at different rates. For example, one of the reasons for a liquid diet in the hospital is that post general knockout your digestive system is still napping and one of the last systems to fully recover.

I personally wouldn't have been comfortable going home that quickly. I would wait and see how you feel if I were you, but leave the options open if possible.

Bruce

------------------

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 03-09-2003).]

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 03-09-2003).]

Old 03-09-2003, 07:28 AM   #10
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    I just got 15 staples out two weeks ago (not in my neck, though), and I've had them in the scalp. They are not bad at all, from my experience. And there is a nifty little tool sort of like scissors that just slips under the metal staple; when you squeeze it, one prong steadies it all in the middle, and two more prongs on either side lift the metal staple, opening it up and out of the skin. It's much, much better than the type of staple remover with the claws that always tears the paper... http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

I've never had the tugging sensation with metal staples as I've had with regular suture removal. I hope this eases your fears. Ask the nurse to show it all to you after it's over.
    wr

Old 03-09-2003, 06:45 PM   #11
    deana p
    (female)

deana p HB User
    Bruce

Thanx !!...I hope you are here afterwards ! No I dont smoke and as far as the bone thing..I just feel more comfy using my own !

deana

------------------
    ***CHATA SIA HOKE***

Old 03-09-2003, 06:53 PM   #12
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Deana,

As long as you're comfortable with your choice. I lost a great deal of sleep on bone selection and made my decision rather last minute. (The day of my surgery).

Having seen all the horror films when someone gets a hand transplant and then starts going after people, I assumed, given my luck, that I would get a serial killer's bone and spend my nights in a hypnotic state wandering the streets and head-butting people.

Only a week from tomorrow for you. How very exciting!

Bruce

------------------

Closed Thread