It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Pillows - Sleeping Issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2003, 02:52 PM   #1
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Question Pillows - Sleeping Issues

Hi Guys-

I find that I am still having some sleeping issues. I should add that I am an insomniac by nature and am well equipped from a pharmaceutical persepctive to deal with the issue.

My problem is the combination of tossing and turning exceessively couple with my new neck. I have on occassion turned my head abruptly in my sleep and I wind up with that gosh darn (NY expression) pain in my shoulder and neck. I'm basically irritiating the graft location. Last night I crashed around 1am, turned abruptly around 3am and was up for the duration.

I was thinking of picking up one of those Tempurpedic neck pillows to see if it would help, but I thought I would check here before I dropped $150 on a pillow.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thannks
    Bruce

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2003, 03:54 PM   #2
    PsychLea
    Veteran
    (female)

PsychLea HB User
    Bruce,

I just bought my 4th pillow today. It is a neck roll, which is flat on the underside.Kinda half moon shape. It has the memory foam that is suppose to mold to your neck. I have found the neck rolls to be the best way for me to go, because they give cervical support, even if you sleep on your side. Luckily, it was on sale this weekend, so that helped. I tried it out, and it does give alot of support.

Hope you find something that works for you.

------------------
    God bless,

Lea

Lea

Old 03-08-2003, 05:58 PM   #3
    liz777

liz777 HB User
    Bruce,

My mom gave me one of those fancy pillows and I haven't had neck pain since-it kind of dents in the middle-truly amazing.

gosh darnit is ny-i would have thought it would be something worse if you know what i mean!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    lizzy

Old 03-08-2003, 07:54 PM   #4
    SORENECKMAN
    (male)

SORENECKMAN HB User
    BWL,
    My Pt gave me a cervical pillow before my surgery and it actually did help with my sleep Its one of the ones with the rolls on either side, one side harder than the other.. It was strange at first (GOSH DARN) BUT BEFORE THE OP I SLEPT LIKE A BABY. LATELY THOUGH ITS A LITTLE TOO LOW AND HARD FOR ME TO USE IT. I need to be propped up when I sleep normally... Forget it just take the meds... who cares.

------------------
    ACDF WITH PLATING C5/6
    2/25/03

Old 03-08-2003, 09:43 PM   #5
    Nanner
    Veteran
    (female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User
    Sounds like Soreneckman and I have the same opinion of the Tempurpedic pillow. I bought one before surgery and I have given it to my husband. It was too hard on the skull and didn't come up high enough where I need it to support my neck.

So I use a wimpy soft pillow that I've had for a long time, as it is so lifeless I can bunch it up however much I require, but it is very soft.

I can only sleep on my side. I find that when I am on my back my neck and occipital area feel pressure quickly, and it is worse if my head/neck is raised. So if I must be on my back, no pillow goes under my head at all.

I guess the point of all this is, whatever feels best for you is what you go with, but you might take a while finding your preferred position. Ooh, that last sentence could be taken the wrong way, couldn't it?

------------------
    Nancy D-ACDF C6-7 on 6/7/02. Donor bone with no hardware

Old 03-09-2003, 01:26 AM   #6
    bdb

bdb HB User
    I alternated a piece of foam cut at a 45 degree angle that I leaned against and the recliner chair. After I got rid of the neck brace I got a water pillow. That helped to a point but I found I got cold using it. I was finally given nortryptyline and that helped. I hope you find a way to sleep. Not being able to sleep has to be one of the worst things to go through.
    bdb

Old 03-09-2003, 06:04 AM   #7
    Nanner
    Veteran
    (female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User
    Agree on using the drugs if sleep is hard to come by. I didn't add any meds prior to surgery, but after my backslide I was only getting about 3-4 hours a night so the doc put me on Elavil. I'm a lot easier to live with now that I get 6-7 hours a night of good, sound sleep.

I just hope that someday, probably after I recover from surgery #2, I will be able to sleep without the pharmaceutical assistance.

Slept like a rock last night-the joys of going to bed at 1:30 am and having a furnace they can't fix until Monday!

Yours from ice-coated Michigan...in a house that feels like an igloo. It's too cold out here, I'm going back to bed...

------------------
    Nancy D-ACDF C6-7 on 6/7/02. Donor bone with no hardware

Old 03-09-2003, 07:06 AM   #8
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Thanks for backing me up the "gosh darn" soreneckman. I'm trying to get others to realize how genuine and sweet we really are here in an effort to increase tourist $$.

I appreciates everyone's input. I may try something like Lea described, I could have sworn I had one of the ones that snm described, but darned if I could find it.

I managed to sleep last night thanks to 1 xanax + 2 halcion. The 2nd sleeping pill came in after I woke up two hours from takibg the first. I feel great this morning and my neck no longer hurts. I'm pretty sure the pain comes from the tossing and turning so I guess that there's some advantage to making oneself comatose. Better living through modern chemistry.

I hope everyone is feeling well and thanks again for the input.

Bruce

------------------

Old 03-09-2003, 07:09 AM   #9
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    I was hoping I could use that Tempurpedic pillow I impulsively bought a few years ago, but now you're telling me it's no panacea. Hmm... Up on the back board, they are talking about sleeping meds, and I must say that what seems the simplest and easiest is Benadryl (but certainly not if you're allergic to it- there, my medical disclaimer on that). It's not cheap, but the Costco product is much cheaper and also works quite nicely.
    wr

Old 03-09-2003, 07:53 AM   #10
    BABS42
    (female)

BABS42 HB User
    Not sure if this is the same thing you are looking for, but it says the original and here is a link for the site.http://www.healthyback.com/store/sleeping/tempurpedicpillow.htm 79.$ 89.$ beats $150.00. I actually asked my the neurologist where they got their pillow, which was just a very, very, hard but comfortable pillow. He didnt answer me, I guess he thought it was small talk. I was serious. Thats the one I want, although it may have been a combo of the hard table I layed on and the pillow. oh well. Good luck! babs
    2 types of Neuropathy on upper R-with some nerve damage. Nerve damage more severe on upper L.

Arachnoid Brain Cyst- Posterior Fossa

Old 03-09-2003, 08:05 AM   #11
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    wr- Sadly, I have a high tolerance for sleep meds. In fact in the hospital they gave me a bendaryl and I started laughing. I know people who can take them and I'm envious. My halcion requires quarterly doc visits and a chunk-o-change.

Babs- Thanks much. That is indeed one of the pillows and I'm checking their pricing. Prices start around $90, but then head up. They make one that is king or queen comes with extra padding and it sings to you at night and makes coffeee before you wake up. That's why they get so expensive.

This is frustrating because if I were allowed to exercise normally, I could take care of the insomnia myself. Two more months. Two more months.

Bruce

------------------

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 03-09-2003).]

Old 03-09-2003, 08:13 AM   #12
    BABS42
    (female)

BABS42 HB User
    Smile

Hey Bruce,
    Did you happen to notice if there were any that played Springsteen and made breakfast along with the coffee? LOL Hope you find the right pillow, get a good night sleep( make that many) and feel well. I know how hard it is to not get sleep. Wish you luck.
    Babs
    2 types of Neuropathy on upper R-with some nerve damage. Nerve damage more severe on upper L.

Arachnoid Brain Cyst- Posterior Fossa

Old 03-09-2003, 08:29 AM   #13
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Babs-

They had a Springsteen model, but, as always, it sold out in less than an hour. I've been looking for the hard to find Tom Waits model.

Wow, it's over 50 degrees and not snowing. Must walk.

Fell well,
    Bruce

PS Last week Springsteen sold out 7 shows at Giant's stadium in 1 day.

------------------

Old 03-09-2003, 09:39 AM   #14
    SORENECKMAN
    (male)

SORENECKMAN HB User
    BWL,
    New York is such a warm and friendly place, darn, everyone should come and visit.. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif Hey its so nice today and I slept like a baby on my "Double Core cervical pillow" Its not the temperpedic thing and I have no idea what it actually costs ,, my pt was closing shop so he just let me have it. This guy was great, Darn it (ok BWL) wish he didn't close. I may get in trouble but you can find the pillow site at coreproducts.com. I sleep great with it so far but it is kinda low too watch tv and such. I agree with wp,, you just have to find the best position for you BWL. Hope everyone has a great day Take care
    John

------------------
    ACDF WITH PLATING C5/6
    2/25/03

Old 03-09-2003, 06:57 PM   #15
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Hey Guys-

Thanks for all the input. It occurs to me that I have the pillow that you describe John, I just can't seem to find it. Big closet.

For now I realize that if i take an extra sleeping pill and flip my cat upside down and use her as a pillow that I have ample cervical support.

Restfull sleep to all
    Bruce
    http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/tired.gif

------------------

Closed Thread