It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• collar while sleeping?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2003, 06:57 PM   #1
    philly collar

philly collar HB User
    Cool collar while sleeping?

Hi to all! I found this board the day before my surgery,wish it would have been sooner!
    I had a ACDF c6&c7 with cadaver bone.Pain and spasms in left arm are almost nil!!!!! My Dr said I didnt have to wear my philly collar while sleeping(rigid foam collar with plastic inserts)Im to freaked out to not wear it but I get no sleep so Im thinking of not wearing it to bed anymore!!!!What do all you pros think?? Almost forgot I had surgery on 03/03/03
    Thanks !!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2003, 10:34 PM   #2
    bdb

bdb HB User
    I was allowed to wear a soft collar only when I was sleeping. I had to wear the hard collar the rest of the day. If I slept in the recliner I had to wear the hard collar. I know how you feel about not getting sleep. Ask if a soft collar as long as you are laying down would be OK. I also used a piece of foam cut at an angle as I found it to hard to lie flat on my back because of other injuries.
    good luck bdb

Old 03-11-2003, 08:05 PM   #3
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    Congrats on your surgery, sounds like your doing great... details details.
    The collar is another thing, my doctor is with yours... don't need it. If you don't feel comfortable without it, wear it. They make over the counter soft collars at the drug stores... that could be an option. Once you take it off, you'll be surprised how much better you will sleep. You body knows to be careful.
    Debbie2

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Old 03-12-2003, 07:28 AM   #4
    philly collar

philly collar HB User
    Debbie2
    What kind of details do ya want?How long did you wear your collar? I was told 6weeks.I didnt wear it last nite and slept from 11:30pm till 6:30 this am. All I can say is aahhh. Its finally going to warm up here this week end,might get to +6c(43f for our American friends)and+11(52f)on thursday and friday.Ice will melt and Im goin walkin!!!!Talk to you later.

Old 03-12-2003, 08:12 AM   #5
    SORENECKMAN
    (male)

SORENECKMAN HB User
    Philly,
    My dr wasnt even going to give me a soft cast. I insisted and he relented, with instructions to only wear it if and when I felt it was necessary re: pain, discomfort. Ive worn it on and off and if I go out in the car (someone else driving) I wear it. I have never worn it to sleep. Never. I don t know how you guys could do that. I hate wearing it at all during the day.
    Doc now says 2 hrs off 1 hr on. But I think he is just being doctorish, you know giving me directions. He wasn t even going to give me a cast to wear in the beginning. Again for sleeping I have never worn it..
    Hope this helps.
    John

------------------
    ACDF WITH PLATING AND DONOR BONE C5/6
    2/25/03

Old 03-12-2003, 08:25 AM   #6
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    Philly,
    I just like to hear details like how it was when you woke up from surgery, how you got along the first few days... just nosey and good stuff that is fun to hear after it's all over.
    I'm along the lines of John, my doctor was very flexible, said it was no big deal to wear a collar. Mostly it makes the patient feel better. Just wore it a couple of days to bed then after no sleep, used my pillow (feather and worn out) around my neck.
    Debbie2

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Old 03-12-2003, 10:10 AM   #7
    philly collar

philly collar HB User
    Well Debbie2 here are the details!
    When I came to I had a real sore/dry throat.The nurse said I would be sent up to my room as soon as one came available! 1hr30min later I was on my way.I remember all my friends and family were waiting in the hall when I came out of recovery,that was kinda nice!Once in the observation room I was given crushed ice wow that felt great but I asked for water "hey no problem" they said so I kept drinking!About 4hrs later I got a bit of a headache so they gave me 2 tylenol 30min later I was good to go my throat felt pretty good.Kept drinking water.The nurse brought me some apple juice which I drank.The IV drip of saline was still going and I was still drinking! At about 8:30 that nite I ran into my first major problem! I had to pee!!!! Nurse informed me I could not get out of bed until the next morning and handed me a "pee pot" with a smile! Well for 30 some years Ive trained myself to not pee while laying in bed!!!! With that solved I new I could face any new problems that might arise!!!haha The next day was good my throat was better still and I was hungry!!!!The Doc came in around 10:00am and saw me walking around,so she said I could go home that day if I wanted to!!! My wife and mother inlaw said NO WAY. My mother inlaw is a retiered nurse and said that is way to soon!!! (old school V.S. new school)So I stayed overnite again and went home the next morning! Well I hope thats enough detail for ya,but not to much haha. My neck is getting a bit sore from having to look down at the keys as Im a 2 finger typist that needs to see what Im typing! Bye for now!

Old 03-12-2003, 03:50 PM   #8
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Hi Philly,

Use your new neck well. I had a semi-optional soft collar and slept without it my second day in the hospital. I just stopped wearing it altogther with the exception being when I'm riding in a car. All of this with my doc's blessing!

I think the biggest part is mental or emotional. I was terrified those first couple of weeks and than went on with my life with the attitude that if there was something I was too avoid or else risk disaster of enormous proportions, that they would have given me a piece of paper with big red letters that said "whatever you do, don't turn right!!!"

It takes a little time to get past the fear factor.

Heal well,
    BWL

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 03-12-2003, 06:58 PM   #9
    philly collar

philly collar HB User
    hi BWL
    I think you are right but I still cant see how I have to wear it while up and around but not when Im sleeping!! When you are awake you a always thinking about it (because of the brace now I see the logic)Well I will keep it on during the day but off at nite!!! My wife is off till noon on thurs so she will take the kids to school then take the dog for a run then come get me and take me to the mall so I can have a walk!!!To cold and icy to walk outside yet!!!!

Old 03-12-2003, 07:08 PM   #10
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Philly,

From day one my doc said i didn't have to wear my collar (I sound like a dog) when I slept. When I returned home from the hospital I was more comfortable sleeping sitting up with it on. Pillows kept me at about a 45+ degree angle. I had trouble sleeping and this seemed to help.

The doc didn't want me sleeping on my side the first few nights without a collar so i slept on my back. This is one of the ways I gauge my progress now, by how easily I turn in bed without panicking.

I just had a flashback to the tricks I would use in the hospital to try and sleep. Between endlessly adjusting my bed and hitting that morphine button I still couldn't sleep.

Ahhh sleep..
    Bruce

------------------

Old 03-12-2003, 07:22 PM   #11
    philly collar

philly collar HB User
    Hey BWL
    You are a month and a few days ahead of me in recovery,SO how is it workin out.I didnt have the plate as you did but same disk.I really feel ok I didnt have the moriphen or anything more than plain tylenol.Ive taken a few advil since Ive been home but thats due to to long on the pc haha

Old 03-12-2003, 07:32 PM   #12
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Philly-

I'm coming along very well thanks. The healing process seems to accelerate as you go. My heads in a much better place now.

A word of warning to you: you probably shouldn't be taking Advil, Motrin or any of that class of ant-inflammatories. They can intefere with fusion. My doc says I am on a Tylenol only regimen for about a year. I quote from my post-op instructions, " All fusion patients should know that anti-inflammatory drugs inhibit the healing of fusions and therefore should not be taken during the post-op period (until fusion heal 6-12 months)."

Stuff like Advil, aspirin, Bufferin, Ibuprofen, Motrin etc etc are not allowed.

You may want to check with your doc. I've also found studies online that attest to this. So be careful.

Luckily, I have been relatively pain-free since surgery. My neck hurts once in a while, but Tylenol is plenty.

Are your pre-surgical symptoms gone?
    Bruce

------------------

Old 03-12-2003, 08:20 PM   #13
    philly collar

philly collar HB User
    Thumbs up

BWL--Thanks for the heads up (haha) Ill stop with the advil family and go back to tylenol Im sure I have some kicking around!! As for my pre-op symptoms they are GONE so far. I had a real bad pain in the arches of my feet that would come and go with no reason so Im waiting to see if that was just old age(39)haha The hand spasms and arm/shoulder/elbow pain is all gone.Thanks again for the warning !!!!!

Closed Thread