It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Cold/Fever/Coughing

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-2003, 01:36 PM   #1
TropicalFox
(female)

TropicalFox HB User
Question Cold/Fever/Coughing

Surgery is next Friday, the 28th. I have a cold and hae had it for about a week. Is there anything I
should/could do to speed up my recovery? I don't want to be sent home!!!

Fever is under control, cough is mostly dry, chest is fine, throat isn't sore.

I'm taking acetominophen, when i go to bed and maybe once during the day. I don't take pain meds but I take vasotec for high bp (diagnosed 1/28/03). It's not high high, just borderline but my sweet doc says she wants me in the best shape possible. I keep telling her my bp will go down to my normal state of low bp when my son comes back from the Persian Gulf and the cops find & arrest my daughter's future ex who has threatened to either kidnap her daughters or kill her and get it over with.

Does anyone know if this kind of stress exacerbates neuro conditions?

hugs,

Sandra <<<looking ove her shoulder to see if anything else wants to come up and take a bite>>>

------------------
" In the middle of every ocean of difficulty is an island of opportunity."
Author Unknown

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2003, 03:47 PM   #2
winged phantom
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Sandra!
This story gets worse and worse, doesn't it? I'm so sorry for all the STUFF that just should not be! After a week, I think it's too late for zinc lozenges, but a vitamin pill and even some good vegetables wouldn't hurt right about now. Maybe some vitamin C or orange juice? And to use Bruce's reasoning, chocolate! And lots of it!

Might you need to call the doctor's office on Monday and tell them your symptoms if they don't get a whole lot better by tomorrow night? I hope you do feel lots better by then.
wr

Old 03-22-2003, 04:55 PM   #3
TropicalFox
(female)

TropicalFox HB User
Wink

yum yum! chocolate! as if i needed another excuse to eat it! LOL!

thanks for your support wing

i'm taking a multivitamin but i hink i'll add some iron to it just in case... my pre-op tests were done the 12th and they were great, bp was 134/86 - just a bit high (i'm usually at 100/70 but it's a miracle it isn't higher given the circumstances!)... in fact, my blood glucose was 157 on 1/23/03 the day of my health assessment so my doc tol me i have to "act as if" i'm diabetic until further testing, just exercise/diet routines with no meds... bg was 119 this time, certainly not outstanding but at least it indicates i could be categorized as pre-diabetic... my husband is diabetic and to encourage the poor wuss to poke himself every day, i do it with hm and have never been over 115 so it was a surprise to have a 157 reading... but now that i think about it, there was a discussion in one of the diabetes newsgroups about how NSAID's elevate blood glucose levels... for the 157 result i was taking naprosyn 500 twice a day... i stopped taking them before i had my mri done in feb. and last week my result was 119... i'll have to go back to the newsgroup to let them know about this.

interesting, huh?

hugs

sandra

------------------
Author Unknown

Old 03-22-2003, 05:07 PM   #4
BWL
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
Sandra-

I don't recall you obtaining board permission to come down with a cold. Regardless, hit the vitmain c, and steep some ginger tea as it works wonders. I'm having a cup now following a lovely quiet dinner.

You sure do have a lot going on. Do whatever you have to do to resolve the issue with your daughter. I have been a party to a similar situation that did not end ideally. It can be so difficult to have people take your fears seriously.

Assuming your son is in the military, you should be very proud. (You can be proud even if he isn't). His presence there is a just one and I thank and support him. I'll keep you all in my thoughts - my equivalent of prayer.

Now, go get that ginger tea.

Feel well,
Bruce

------------------
ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 03-22-2003).]

Old 03-22-2003, 08:15 PM   #5
deana p
(female)

deana p HB User
Sandra

You lucky dawg!!!...the 28th,huh?...Im 3 AGONIZING days later!!....great luck to you and fill us in !!!

As for the iron thing ...make SURE you keep it in check ....my party was delayed 2 weeks til I brought it back up.....dont let that happen to you !!!

deana

------------------
***CHATA SIA HOKE***

Old 03-22-2003, 08:53 PM   #6
TropicalFox
(female)

TropicalFox HB User
Wink

Originally posted by BWL:

>>>Assuming your son is in the military, you should be very proud. (You can be proud even if he isn't). His presence there is a just one and I thank and support him. I'll keep you all in my thoughts - my equivalent of prayer.<<<<

Gracias Bruce! He certainly is in the military. Two of his babies (you know, the noseeums) performed that "decapitation" incident before this whole thing started. When I saw this happen that night, I knew he was involved because his unit is the only one that has those babies. I went to see him before he deployed and was able to see them. They look like metal mosquitos!

Thanks for the great advice Bruce. Sorry you've hd to go through the same personal stuff that my daughter's going through. A protection order only works if the party involved respects it. If he violates it, it could cause a world of pain and he could be a 1000 miles away before anyone finds out.

a big hug for ya!

Sandra

------------------
Author Unknown

Closed Thread