It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervical Disectomy with Corepectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2003, 07:06 AM   #1
    lori1851

lori1851 HB User
    Cool Cervical Disectomy with Corepectomy

Hello,
    Hope someone has had this surgery. I am awaiting a cervical disectomy with corepectomy. I have 2 herniated discs C34 C45 pressing on my nerve and causing compression. I had my first Orto appt the last of Feb. The ortho said I need surgery and he will take out the bad vertebrae and file down the bone spurs. He will then use a bone from the bone bank PTL already had one disc taken care of 10 yrs ago with the bone out of the hip. He will then put a metal plate over these. my surgery isnt until Aprill 22nd!!! Seems like eternity!!! I have the rt arm pain and sharp pains in my neck. The PT made me feel worse. I am going nuts waiting. People say find a new surgeon. I am suppose to have one of the best Dr Terry Trammel here in Indiana. He has operated on many Indy 500 race car drivers. My ? is how long is the stay in the hospital? And how much motion will I lose in my neck with this plate? Any replies will be appreciated!!
    Lori Indiana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2003, 08:42 AM   #2
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Hi Lori,

Sorry you're having such a rough time. I only had a single level at C6-7 so I can't really address your range of motion question. I was in the hospital for 3 days (2 nights) and it seems 2 nights is near the average.

I, as well as many others here, can attest to your pain and the desire to get it taken care of asap. If your surgeon is that good, I would wait. Quick question, since your surgeon has worked on some Indy drivers does that mean he does more than spines or were all the drivers he treated for spine problems? In other words, is this his area of exclusive expertise? Are you comfortable with him?

Are you still going to PT now that your surgery has been scheduled?

Hoping you have a good day

Bruce

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 03-23-2003, 08:49 AM   #3
    lori1851

lori1851 HB User
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. Dr Trammel is a Orthopedic Surgeon, and also specializes in Spine Surgery. He has put many ppl back together. I have the utmost confidence in him. Its just the waiting game !! Driving me nuts! How long were you in surgery?
    Lori Indiana

Old 03-23-2003, 09:05 AM   #4
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Lori,

I was in surgery for just over two hours. I might have gone a little long becasue they had to clean out lots of little pieces of disk (mine ruptured). Again, I was a single level so they'll have to tack time on for your second level. I though read somewhere that the second level adds 30 or 40 minutes, but the guys on board can give you a better idea.

If you're comfortable with your guy, then you're good to go. Hopefully you have enough pain-killers to get you to the day. We'll keep you distracted here too.

I am off for a walk on this beautiful day (you'll have beautiful days again soon, you just wait and see).

Bruce

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 03-23-2003, 09:28 AM   #5
    lori1851

lori1851 HB User
    Talking

Bruce,
    Thank again for quick reply. I hope others will answer my post. I went through PT for 3 weeks. Man I think that made it worse. Dr sad he would only allow me that much. My discs are ruptured to I think I said herniated. This is right above previous surgery. Geesh go figure. I have read it adds stress on the ones above and below. Now I see why it has happened again. I want to do some remodelng in my house guess hubby will have to do it lol! Yep still on pain killer Vicodin. ALready tried anti-inflammatory. Hate those drugs makes me sick at stomach!! Well thanks again Bruce nice chatting with you!
    Lori Indiana

Old 03-23-2003, 11:35 AM   #6
    cnewmann

cnewmann HB User
    Just wanted to respond to your post. I just recently (thursday) had the same as Bruce, (ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 )

Am beginning to recoup. Haven't had much to eat since my surgery because my throat is so sore. I only stayed in the hospital over night and I was in surgery about an hour and a half. Went in at 7:30 and was in my room by 10:30. I guess I spent about an hour in recovery.

Hope everything goes ok for you. This is a good place to be. You will get lot's of encouragement and help.

Connie in Alabama
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7

Old 03-23-2003, 11:41 AM   #7
    lori1851

lori1851 HB User
    Corina,
    Thanks for the reply. I am just so ready to get this over with!!! I just pray it will be my last neck surgery.!!
    LORI Indiana

Old 03-23-2003, 04:21 PM   #8
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    Lori,
    I had a very similiar experience as you. C5-C6 for me. Same pain as you had, was in the hospital one night for surgery. I had no pain when I woke up and the range in motion with my surgery is back about I would guess 90%. PT never helped me it made it worse. You can do searches on some other old posts and find more details about lots of the very same surgery as yours.
    The plate in your neck is not anything you will ever feel or will it ever inhibit your neck.
    Connie just had surgery and she woke up in pain? So each and every case is different. Bruce and I have alot of the same recovery stories.
    Don't be too worried, it's not that far away and you will be so happy to get rid of this pain.
    Debbie

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Old 03-23-2003, 05:40 PM   #9
    lori1851

lori1851 HB User
    Cool

Debbie,
    Thanks for the info. The hardest part is waiting! I want my normal life back. Tired of this arm pain and neck pain. Im countin down the days! I go for pre-op April 2nd. Never know he might move me up again!!!!
    Thanks,
    Lori

Old 03-23-2003, 07:34 PM   #10
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    It will be here soon enough, and you will be so happy. I was off work six weeks, unfortunately it was after the death of my dear Mother-In Law. But if I could do one thing over, I would really enjoy my time off more. I was overly careful with myself and would barely do anything I liked...
    Debbie

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Closed Thread