It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• sutures when will they go away??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2003, 09:19 PM   #1
    philly collar

philly collar HB User
    Question sutures when will they go away??

Hey all I had my operation on 03/03/03(ACDF c6c7 no plates)I have no stiches on the outside of my neck but I have sutures just under the skin.4days after surgery I found a knot sticking out of the Insiscion and pulled it out!!! (only 1/16 of an inch)I now found a knot at the other end of the Insiscion.It seems to still be attached,I know I know quit playing with it!!! I was just wondering how long they take to dissolve if they are not under your skin?
    Hope eveyone is doing well before and after their surgeries. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2003, 11:57 PM   #2
    franjo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

franjo HB User
    Phillycollar,

Sometimes those babies take awhile to dissolve. I've always been told that they would dissolve in 2-4 weeks, but have had the ends migrate to the outside months later. Don't pull on them though, but you know that. One time, my doctor just went ahead and pulled them out.

~Teri
    Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
    Lumbar fusion-1968
    Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
    Femoral osteotomy-1971
    Tethered cord release-1987
    Rod removal-1987
    Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
    Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
    Tethered cord release-2003
    Fusion with instrumentation with lots and lots of screws-2003

Closed Thread