It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Academy Award or just wingibg it ??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2003, 10:19 PM   #1
deana p
(female)

deana p HB User
Post Academy Award or just wingibg it ??

Hey yall...OK...very serious here....I got a call from my Neuros nurse today and she had one hell of a question for me.....
OK here goes..My neuro has 2 PT students that he wants to "witness" a neck and back surgery. Their reason being he wants to show them how surgery can/will coincide with their profession.. He chose me because Im "still realatively young..heheh39...5'4 last call at 108lbs:...and he also wants them to se a back surgery. With my disc thang, she said hed at least like for them to see the disc THEN see the cord. ...I said...heheh....MONEY..( kinda kidding)..np my big deal is they AINT my DR and I dont want them to see any privates. Now...Pelofskys nurse said Id be draped and theyd outfitted...and that he ( Pelofsky ) wou;ld NEVER embarasse..oh yeah...he said that hed like the students to dee my discs and nerve....the nurse said the closest theyd come was to look in the microscope.....now... Im all for helping our team but DAMN....I said to the nurse Im doing my own bone graft and they AINT allowed to look.....I mean thats personal......
Im afraid if I veto the request Ill get shotty care.....HELP !!!

------------------
***CHATA SIA HOKE***

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2003, 04:46 AM   #2
emc

emc HB User
Hi Deanna,

I am in a similar situation. In May I most likely will be having a broken spinal cord stimulator removed and a new one inserted by my pain management doctor. Because it is something that does not happen often, and because I have other problems with lumbar discs and cervical issues, he has asked if I would consider having a resident track me right through the surgery. He would also like to film the surgery as he is involved with residents at Harvard Medical School. What a compliment....little ole me teaching Harvard students!!! I too am 5'4" but I have a few (?) pounds on you. I have agreed to the resident tracking but still thinking about that filming part. I would want to help others that suffer from CP. I will be interested in your decision.

Old 03-26-2003, 11:55 AM   #3
BWL
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
Smile

Hi Deana,

Vanity notwithstanding....

If it were me I woudn't allow anyone else in the operating room. I know that they need teaching opportunities, and my surgery was in a teachig facility, but given the sensitivity of the procedure I wouldn't want anyone standing in that room that wasn't used to being there. If they duct-taped them to the wall, maybe, but I wouldn't want them anywhere near me or the scope. What if they trip over their rookie feet? I also want my surgeon focusing on me and not letting his/her ego go to work with two students in the room.

That's my two cents. Your level of care will not change if you refuse and if it does I'll get the boys together and will talk to your doc.

By the way, 39, 5'4 108lbs, tell me more....;

Be well,
Bruce

------------------
ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 03-26-2003, 03:03 PM   #4
jbell95

jbell95 HB User
And the winner for her performance in

"Doctor, are you sure my assets are covered?"

goes to Deena!!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

I'd say go for it, me being a RN, but they'll be too close and like Bruce says what if...

J

C3-C6 straightening of normal cervical curvature.
C2-T1 mild central spondylosis without significant stenosis.
C3-C4 broad-based spondylosis and bulging with mild to moderate flattening of the anterior epidural space.
C4-C5 broad-based spondylosis and bulging eccentric to the left with mild to moderate compression upon the anterior epidural space.
C5-C6 spondylosis with a broad-based protrusion with moderate compression of the anterior epidural space.
C6-C7 mild central spondylosis and a small midline protrusion with minimal flattening of the anterior epidural space.

03/28/03 Myelogram/CT.

04/02/03 Lumbar MRI:
bulging disc L4-L5, DDD.

04/24/03 Brain MRI.

05/16/03 Nerve Conduction Studies.

Old 03-26-2003, 03:05 PM   #5
jbell95

jbell95 HB User
oops, I mispelled your name, sorry. J.

C3-C6 straightening of normal cervical curvature.
C2-T1 mild central spondylosis without significant stenosis.
C3-C4 broad-based spondylosis and bulging with mild to moderate flattening of the anterior epidural space.
C4-C5 broad-based spondylosis and bulging eccentric to the left with mild to moderate compression upon the anterior epidural space.
C5-C6 spondylosis with a broad-based protrusion with moderate compression of the anterior epidural space.
C6-C7 mild central spondylosis and a small midline protrusion with minimal flattening of the anterior epidural space.

03/28/03 Myelogram/CT.

04/02/03 Lumbar MRI:
bulging disc L4-L5, DDD.

04/24/03 Brain MRI.

05/16/03 Nerve Conduction Studies.

Old 03-26-2003, 04:55 PM   #6
BWL
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
LOL JBell...I needed that.

Old 03-27-2003, 06:51 AM   #7
winged phantom
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Deana,
It is my impression, from the other questions you have asked and because you seem to be pretty nervous about this surgery anyway, that you should turn down this opportunity to open up your body to other comers. But don't let this dissuade you if by now you have been leaning toward letting them do it. Just either do it willingly, or don't let them push you into it.
wr

Closed Thread