It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Neck & Back Cracking from Chiro Treatment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2003, 04:58 PM   #1
    BigTex

BigTex HB User
    Post Neck & Back Cracking from Chiro Treatment

Hello,
    Anyone here experience neck and back cracking after undergoing chiropractic treatment. I had a concussion several months ago and went to a chiropractor for treatment. He adjusted my neck and back very forcefully for about two months, 2-3 times a week. Shortly after stopping treatment, my neck and back crack several times a day. I get the most cracking in the morning when I first wake up. I have read that many people have this condition, yet how is it treated. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2003, 06:26 PM   #2
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    Aw Big Tex,
    I don't think anyone knows what to say about your treatment, because a large amount of people on this board (with spinal injuries) are so against chiropractic treatment. Personally I would be glad that is all that is happening... I think Nanner had some crackly neck a while back, and after surgery I had a little. But it was temporary and is long gone...
    Sorry I cant be of more help.
    Debbie

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Old 03-25-2003, 08:51 PM   #3
    BigTex

BigTex HB User
    Hello Debbie2,
    The cracking is not the only symptom that I have. I also experience headaches, neck pain, dizziness, light headedness, etc. as a result of the concussion. Yet it is the cracking that I am trying to find out if there is a treatment for it. Also, I noticed that many people experience cracking as a result of Chiropractic treatment. God Bless, BigTex

Old 03-26-2003, 04:45 AM   #4
    Mike D

Mike D HB User
    Tex - there are many defendible opinions on this question.

I do believe that chiropratic treatment can have significant benefits to some, however, many high-velocity adjustments to the neck in a short period of time may not be a good idea for someone with an acute injury IMHO.

I suggest more conservative therapy - traction, massage...

md

------------------
    -6/7 hernation 5mm in AP diameter compresses left side of spinal cord and significantly compresses nerve roots
    -5/6 small protrusion, chronic right sided stenosis
    -4/5 small herniation and osteophytes compression of right nerve root
    -chronic moderate stenosis 2/3 and 3/4
    -chronic moderate stenosis 2/3 and 3/4

Old 03-27-2003, 11:53 AM   #5
    Karcia

Karcia HB User
    Hi there:

I just couldn't live without my chiropractor. He all but gets rid of my spasms, and makes getting around 1000 times easier. The reason you are cracking is that the chiropractor was able to loosen you up enough. My chiro says it is a good sign. If it is like me, some specific things can cause the cracking. Like, my upper spine, if I take a big breath from the top of my lungs, and not my stomach, my upper back will crack lightly. I got into the habit of doing it, which made it a tiny bit sore. Don't avoid the cracking, but don't get into the habit of doing it every 20 minutes or anything. It will settle down. And it should just disappear on it's own since your body is getting used to being in the correct position. It is just part of the change you are going through since you were SOOO tight before. Tell your chiro that the next time you see him/her. It is too bad about your concussion. My husband had a really bad one. He missed 3 months of work, but once he began going to a chiropractor, he really started to improve. It is a long journey through a concussion, but keep at it! You'll get there.

Karcia.

Old 03-29-2003, 12:39 AM   #6
    kat721
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kat721 HB User
    Tex, There are good body cracks and bad body cracks. Cracks that have pain and numbness with them are not considered in the good category.
    Pain and discomfort probably means that your musculature is too tight.
    Other than basically competant or incompetant Chiropractors there is also the consideration of getting an adjustment too soon before the muscles have been worked into a receptive mode for movement.
    A musculature that is too tight for an adjustment can cause all kinds of bad problems.
    The muscles sometimes need gentle preparation to
    move more easily and not pull against the adjustment like a rubber band snapping into place.
    Think, warming up before a sprint or playing any sports. If the muscles are not warm and prepared then injury is much more likely.
    Right now, make sure nothing is torn or pinching.
    You might want to have some new imaging done.
    I'd think opting for some massage relief or physical therapy for a few weeks before getting another chiropractic treatment(if you still want one) would be better than going right back to the chiropractor.
    Your muscles are probably fatigued.
    I don't think it's good for any Chiropractor to use a lot of force.
    If they need a lot of force, especially with the neck, then the neck just isn't ready to move.
    I've had a lot of Chiropractic work done.
    I am definately much better off for the experience.
    However, I've had a few bad experiences and I was about to give it up totally until I found my last chiropractor.
    There's a huge difference in a good chiropractor and a rough chiropractor.
    kat

Closed Thread