It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Incision--Day 8

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2003, 12:14 PM   #1
cnewmann

cnewmann HB User
Post Incision--Day 8

Well, I finally took off the steri-strips and my wound (as they call it) looks really ugly.

I took a shower this morning and washed it for the first time. It is still swollen and feels like there is a big knot underneath. Does this every go away? Will if finally smooth out and lay flat?

I may never wear anything but turtle necks the rest of my life!!

One good thing. Soreness is finally gone in my throat and I can eat most anything. Sometimes I still have a bit of trouble swallowing though. Must still be some swollen.

This is not the time of the year to have to wear a neck brace. It is so hot!! We are having 80 degree weather!

Connie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2003, 01:27 PM   #2
Mellie888

Mellie888 HB User
Hi Connie,

Mine looked pretty ugly too and it did feel like I had lumps underneath, that goes away too. Also, just recently (I'm seven weeks post-op, ACDF C4-5 with cage and fusion) I had to go to the neurosurgeon because a suture was sticking out and got inflammed. He just pulled it out and now it really looks good. But trust me, the lumps will go away underneath. It will just take some time for the incision to look good.

Other than that, I hope everything is going well.

Mellie

Old 03-28-2003, 03:13 PM   #3
winged phantom
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Hi Connie,
Don't worry too much about the incision; that's a badge of extreme courage and bravery. Actually, you know there is a lot of swelling in the whole area, and I'm sure the sutures have also irritated the area a bit too. So it will take time for everything, including the sutures, to slowly be resorbed by the body and look better. Like I wrote a few weeks ago, I don't think anyone has ever asked me about my scar, and I've had one for 12 years. Also, I'm sure your doctor chose an area of your neck that forms a natural crease (notice I did not say "wrinkle"), so it will be least noticeable there.

Other than that, it seems you are recouperating as expected? I know what you mean about the hot weather! I wish I could have had mine earlier, but it just could not be helped. I'll have my hard collar here in FL until the end of May. I guess I'll never go out!

Mellie, welcome to the board! Hope we can help you with your recouperation, too.
wr

Old 03-28-2003, 03:30 PM   #4
SherryElaine

SherryElaine HB User
Connie
I am 3 weeks post op and I never looked at mine at day 8 so I can't compare with yours but right now mine looks pretty good not bad at all but I do have the lumpy knot in it and my throat still feels a little sore and I can eat most anything but sometimes still have a probem swallowing. I been brace free for 2 days now and it is great. First day was weird with my neck feeling weak and wobbley. Did the surgery get rid of all your pain? I still have slight pain in my arm and thumb and muscle twitches in my biceps...
Suppose to start PT next week for that...
Sounds like your doing good so far hope you continue to do so..

------------------

Sher

Old 03-28-2003, 03:35 PM   #5
SherryElaine

SherryElaine HB User
Oh for got to ask, any of you all get the numb feeling under the chin after surgery?

------------------

Sher

Old 03-28-2003, 06:09 PM   #6
Mellie888

Mellie888 HB User
Yes, you definitely get a numb feeling, but that goes away too. It actually seems like it's never going to go away, and then one day it's gone. The first few weeks seems like an eternity and then you realize you are at 7 weeks post-op and the numbness is gone.

Old 03-28-2003, 08:31 PM   #7
Catherine with a C
Inactive

Catherine with a C HB User
Connie!! So nice to read your words. I am glad that you are doing so well. As i have not had my surgery yet, I cannot comment on my own experience. YET!!
I will keep you posted, literally!
I am curious, however, if you indulged in popcorn shrimp the other night?! Any time, from now on, when I am eating them, I shall think of you, & smile!
My continued thoughts & prayers remain flowing your way. Until later, I remain, in pain.
But not for long, I hope.
Catherine

Old 03-29-2003, 10:02 AM   #8
cnewmann

cnewmann HB User
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replys. I'm still treking along here.

Sneaked out yesterday to go to the hair dresser to get my hair washed. It felt wonderful. Also, hanging my head over that bowl felt good. Wish I could bring it home and strap it to the back of my recliner. (smile).

I ate my first chef salad last night. Had no problem.
However, I'm eating some chicken and rice right now and periodically (this is gross)I have to cough the chicken back up and re-swallow. Seems meat gets stuck in my throat and so do pills. There must still be some swelling back there. However, it isn't sore anymore.

Am getting where I rather like sleeping in my soft collar even though I sleep on my side. I must be molding it down to fit me now. (ha ha).

Am not sore, but still have some pain in the left shoulder. The numbness in my right hand still seems there for now.
And, of course the numbness in my foot hasn't gone anywhere.

My chin and right under my chin is numb to touch like someone else mentioned.

Good luck Catherine with a C. Am keeping you in my prayers.
Connie

Old 03-29-2003, 11:28 AM   #9
BABS42
(female)

BABS42 HB User
Hi Connie, Glad to hear you are getting out and about. Spekaing of, how did you get your hair washed at the salon? Dont you have to lean back in the chair for the wash. I just need to know these things. Hope you keep doing better each day. Babs
2 types of Neuropathy on upper R-with some nerve damage. Nerve damage more severe on upper L.

Arachnoid Brain Cyst- Posterior Fossa

Old 03-29-2003, 01:45 PM   #10
BWL
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
Hi Connie,

Happy to see you doing so well. Stronger and stronger every day.

I had some numbness around my incision and still have one small dead spot. It's not all that unusual and I had the same thing after an ankle surgery which cleared up.

Keep feeling better and no lifting!

Bruce

------------------
ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 03-29-2003).]

Old 03-29-2003, 01:55 PM   #11
BWL
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
Smile

Mellie,

It's good to see you back on the board. How is everything going?

Bruce

------------------
ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Closed Thread