It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

OK....Got my boxing gloves back on and ready to take em all on yet again!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2003, 08:47 PM   #1
joprud
Inactive

joprud HB User
Talking OK....Got my boxing gloves back on and ready to take em all on yet again!

WOW you guys....

May I reiterate....You are truly the BEST!!!

I'm overwhelmed....You made me cry, smile and laugh.

Catherine your "don't sweat the petty stuff!! But, more importantly-----don't pet the sweaty stuff!!" made me burst out laughing through my tears

Sorry I know I should know better...I know you guys always understand...I guess I was just afraid I'd go over my whine quota. (don't want to alienate my best source of understanding and compassion)
I guess I don't much like the weak me, so I guess I worry others will not like it either, so I try not to let it out too much.

Thank you Debbie...My tears started with your post...not sadness...just, I think, relief from the reminder that you guys really do understand and truly do care.

Thank you Bruce...As much as I would LOVE a visit...no need to straighten me out anymore...OOPS I guess I apologized again (above)... Sorry ...OOPS.

Thank you Wing...You are always so sweet...I'm seeing that glimmer of light and it slowly gets bigger.

Thank you Babs...For your compassion..and yes I certainly can't feel alone anymore.

Thank you Mike...I know you're right that its difficult for others to be compassionate when they haven't experienced these problems before. It is good to be reminded though.

Thank you Catherine...For making me laugh...that just struck me so funny!! You are so kind and funny, your posts make me laugh so often.

Thank you Mel...Sweet as ever even through all you're going through. I have most definitly asked for help many times that's what's so upseting...But I tried again, this time by writing it in a letter to all three of them, so not one of them can say I never said anything etc. We shall see if that makes any impact. I will tell the Doc again about the pain etc when I talk to him about another symptom that my PT feels he needs to know about, intermittant though it may be. I know what you mean about being so close...it's so frustrating.

Thank you Teri...You are a darlin'...I'm SOOOO thrilled about Levi...WOOHOO...I told ya stranger things have happened!! I'm also glad things are moving along for you. Yes I have read successtories game teehee...loved it...but you'd never get my chickens to try it. I've often wondered if I am guilty of subconsciencly sabotageing myself by minimizing the pain and how it's affecting my daily life. Have to work on that one.

Thank you Svikki...for your kind words and thoughts. As I said to Mel above I do let my guys know I need help, that's what hurts so much. May try that strike if this last attempt doesn't work.

Thank you jbell...for caring... "as long as my dirty laundry does not get up and start walking around, I don't sweat it." tee hee I'll keep that in mind.

What would I do without y'all!!!

THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU!!

Take Care,
Joanne

------------------
  • At the age of 8, Sept 63, bad fall on back on stairs compression fractures of D6 and D8
  • Diagnosed DDD 1993
  • C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac Mild stenosis of neural foramina
  • C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing v t s .Mild stenosis of neural foramina
  • C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing v t s . Mild stenosis of neural foramina
  • C7-T1 Small perineural cysts present in both neural foramina.
  • left convex scoliosis of mid thoracic spine. wedging of T7. wedging of T5 .degenerative end plate changes at T8-T9
  • L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing v t s. hypertrophy of facet joints, minimal central spinal stenosis.
  • L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.
  • S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2003, 09:00 PM   #2
Catherine with a C
Inactive

Catherine with a C HB User
JOANNE!!!!
Happy tears........I love that you are sounding soooooooo much better!! I could see by all the responses that you received ; you truly are thought of in the most genuine sense. These are not easy day's for any of us in pain. some day's are more difficult than other's. you have been so strong & available to those of us here; & to your other responsibilities that you perhaps need to be reminded of what a grand person you are. If no one has told you lately, I think you are supercalafragalisticexpialadotious!!! Wishing nothing but happiness for you. (insert hug here)!
Until later, I remain, Catherine

PS> thank's for thanking me........i am here...anytime.

Old 03-28-2003, 04:11 AM   #3
Debbie2
Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
What a sweet note, and better yet, what great news that you are feeling better.
Remember, pain doesn't mix with lack of sleep. Although pain causes you not to sleep, somehow that rest needs to be made up. Enjoy your weekend, and try hard as you can not to overdo it... sometimes it's just not worth it to "try" and be normal. Heck we all know none of us are normal...
Your words were an endearing way to start the day.
Thank you so much,
Debbie

------------------
Debbie2
ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
September 4, 2002.

Old 03-28-2003, 04:33 AM   #4
mel333
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel333 HB User
Hi Joanne,

I was reading your other post about your minimal bulge at c5/6 and postural changes. Does your dr think it might be torn or have some damage? A good Neurosurgeon would be helpful on this and order more tests. The pain is hardly all in your head and I got treated like that initially also. Hope your feeling better and looking into other options. I am active also and I know how frustrating it is. Does walking help?

Mel

Old 03-28-2003, 05:21 AM   #5
winged phantom
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Joanne,
So glad to hear such sweet words and know you are feeling a bit better. Don't ever worry about the whine quota. It's too easy to slip into a true depression, and that's a body chemistry thing. Do whatever you have to do to try to stay UP! Call me crazy, but I think we can try to ward off depressions by reaching out for good vibes. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif We all have to work at our positive attitudes, http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif because we know how damaging it can be for us when we don't. Hence all the http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/jester.gifing around here.

But it works both ways; I know it also helps me emotionally to know I am doing my best to reach out through my own troubles and help someone else. And you have most certainly done that, too, Joanna. You've been an here in encouraging me when I've whined... and you've helped everyone else, too. You have a big http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif and a lot of soul, so don't ever sell yourself short!

Continue to take good care of yourself, and do try to get that healing sleep, hard as that may be. Have a good day.
wr

Old 03-28-2003, 06:37 AM   #6
melanie dawn
Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
Joanne,
What a beautiful thankyou to all of us. I am glad to hear you sounding brighter and less down.
I know how hard it is to get the help , in the beginning i threw hints, then i would come right out and state, i cant do this. Then said chore would be done , but I had to keep repeating the process every time. It was pretty frustrating. But it has worked itself out. Of course it's been a couple of years or so in the process.
I keep thinking about your comment on minimalizing your symptoms. I think I have done that to some extent, but I also think that I hide alot at times because I dont want to cause worry/ stress, or just plain and simply start seeming like a drag. YOu know, I just kept trying to be the usual me. I've always been the caretaker, and it sounds to me like you are also, it is very hard to change roles. A major change and adjustment in our lives , and we need each others support to accomplish this.
You mentioned a new symptom, do you feel like sharing this? Jeez, we are so close, it drives me nuts. I would much rather be sitting here with a cup of coffee with you beside me. Sharing this together, face to face.
Are you working much? If so , what is your schedule like? I hope you are not overdoing it.
When is your next Dr. appt.?ANd are you still seeing your Neuro?
As always, you're in my thoughts, Mel
Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 03-28-2003, 10:43 AM   #7
franjo
Senior Veteran
(female)

franjo HB User
Joanne,

My face hurts from smiling all the way through reading your post. Your personality really shines through your words, I can almost see you. It's so good to hear you 'sounding' better!

"Whine Quota"??!! THAT wasn't in the contract! If so, then I'm gonna hafta take my business elsewhere!

Lots of good thoughts going your way http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

~Teri
Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
Lumbar fusion-1968
Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
Femoral osteotomy-1971
Tethered cord release-1987
Rod removal-1987
Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
Tethered cord release-2003
Fusion with instrumentation with lots and lots of screws-2003

Old 03-28-2003, 01:33 PM   #8
Svikki

Svikki HB User
HI Joanne, You really are an awsome women. To take the time to thank each one of us, even me, is very spiecal. I too am glad to see that you are sounding in better spirits. Your family may see you as a super wormen also and so you may need to just remind them that even super women meeds help sometimes. God Bless you Joanne.
Vicki

Old 03-28-2003, 02:34 PM   #9
joprud
Inactive

joprud HB User
Gees you guys,

You're truly making me blush here http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif
I just can't believe how sweet and kind you're being.
I've never felt so much caring from so many....WOW!
I think I'm speechless....

Thank you ever so much yet again!!!

mel333...A good Neurosurgeon would be helpful, unfortunately the one I went to was a true dud... He did the initial physical then sent me for the MRI's. When I went back for the results in Nov he had the MRI of my head but had apparently misplaced the one for my back.This left me feeling unable to ask any of the questions I had with regards to my condition or how best to care for myself because he did not have the information he needed in order to give me a well-informed response.He then requested that I call him the following Monday at which time he would go over the MRI findings. At that time he told me to get back to work and find myself some strengthening exercises to do. I called his office the following Mon, Tue,Wed, Thur,Fri. He never called back. I finally called the office to request the written copy of the MRI since it seemed he felt he was done with me. I then started my research. That's how I came across this board so I guess something good... no... great came out of it.

Mel....Boy did you ever nail it on the head...It seems we are alot alike. The symptom I was talking about is not new, it's happened about 10-12 times over the last 8 months or so. I mentioned it a while back here on the boards but never did end up mentioning it to the doc because they always seem to just brush off intermittant symptoms. I've been getting pins and needles in my groin, lasting anywhere from 5 mins to like on wed 1 hr or so. It freaks me out. I don't mean to be indelicate here but I don't want to be loosing any feelings there if ya know what I mean
Yes sitting with you and a Timmy's coffee would be awesome. I'm working anywhere from just 2 or 3 hrs a week to about 12 hrs a week, not much, but good for now cause even that gets me achin'. I only worked 2 1/2 hrs this week... today as a matter of fact...and I'm quite sore...but you know this has been a bad week for me. Best go rest now.

Catherine, Debbie, Wing, Teri, Vicki THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!! You always make me smile and laugh.

Again I truly don't know what I would do without you guys.

Love Ya,
Take Care,
Joanne

[This message has been edited by joprud (edited 03-28-2003).]

Old 03-28-2003, 03:16 PM   #10
winged phantom
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Joanne,
Right back at ya! Have a good weekend.
wr

Old 03-29-2003, 10:17 PM   #11
joprud
Inactive

joprud HB User
Hey Mel,

Just wondering if you had any thoughts or info on the genital pins and needles thing I got happenin'. Can't help worrying sometimes about it. I will mention it to the doc but I'm not sure when I can get to see him again. Just trying to find out what I can until then.

Take Care,
Joanne

Old 03-30-2003, 06:28 AM   #12
winged phantom
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Hey Joanne,
I just woke up (actually, I've been waking up all night, too) and haven't had my coffee yet. I just took a quick glance at your last post, and my first few thoughts were that you were talking about some piercings you have! Actually, if that is what you have, then maybe nerve damage from that is causing your "pins and needles" feeling.

I swear, my brain just isn't the sharpest tool in the shed any more. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif
wr

Old 03-30-2003, 07:17 AM   #13
mel333
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel333 HB User
Hi Joanne,

I can't beleive how unorganised your ns sounded. Have you got your MRI yet? Can you see another one? How frustrating! It may be very useful to explain the pins and needles probobly from nerve pressure of the disc,foramen narrowing, osteophytes etc. I hope you can see someone else soon. Do you have other scans?. You could try an EMG to test nerve damage. Take care,
Mel

Old 03-30-2003, 08:02 AM   #14
melanie dawn
Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
HI Joanne,
the pins and needles in groin are similar to anywhere else you get them, It is from nerve irritation. Without looking back , i seem to remember you have lower back issues. There is the perineal nerve which serves the groin, and it can be irritated from the lower back. Definately note this with the Doc.
How surprising about your NS here. I swear in this area they dont want to deal with backs ,necks, discs. Most of the surgeons here will not do discs unless you have problems like bowel or bladder issues.IF you have a disc in your neck with radicular pain, you wont get surgery here.Same with back, but backs are done more frequently that necks. The shortage of all doctors here puts things in a whole other realm.And over the last ten years there has been a huge change for the worse in our health care system. It used to be really good.
Take care Joanne, get some rest while you put everyone else to work
talk soon, Love Mel
Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 03-30-2003, 08:34 AM   #15
BWL
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
Joanne,

Do you really think I could let wr's comment about piercings just go without saying anything?

Thanks for the laugh wr.

Joanne - I hope you're having a tingle and pain free Sunday .

Bruce

------------------
ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Closed Thread