It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Laminoplasty or ACDF ????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
    Hillcrest
    (male)

Hillcrest HB User
    Laminoplasty or ACDF ????

Hi there,

I'm new to the club. I was diagnosed with severe congenital cervical stenosis and 2 osteophyte complexes in C3/C4 and C4/C5 compressing my spinalcord
    and a small disc bulge in C5/C6.

I went to three Neurosurgeons so far and of course I got 3 different opinons.

Surgeon 1: He wants to perform a laminoplasty from C3-C5 because it doesnt require fusion.

Surgeon 2: He want to perform a 2 level ACDF

Surgeon 3: He wants to perform 2 level ACDF plus an artificial disc in C5/C6

After searching thru the internet I found out that in my particular case (congenital cervical stenosis) the ACDF procedure will eventually lead to more surgery since my actual problem is not really addressed which is the congenital stenosis. Also the fusion doesnt sound great to me either.

So I'm kind of leaning towards the laminoplasty, knowing the recovery time is longer.

Is anybody out there who had a laminoplasty done and is willing to share her/his experience with me ?

To Webdozer: I read your blog about your laminoplasty (sounded scary - So how are you doing now after 2 years have passed ?

I'm grateful for every little piece of information !!!

Thanks so much !!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Laminoplasty or ACDF ????

I guess you know that I've had both laminoplasty and ACDF (and a foraminotomy for good measure). As far as I know, the laminoplasty turned out fine.

If you want to put up the radiologist's report from your most recent MRI, you will get a more comprehensive answer.

I'd also suggest you got to the NIH's site (pubmed.gov) and do a search on "laminoplasty" for articles.

Closed Thread