It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• reverse cervical lordosis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2003, 04:34 AM   #1
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Question reverse cervical lordosis?

Hi,
    My name is Mel and I come here every now and then to seek out support for chronic neck pain. I have a bulge c5/6 and one at c3/4 from whiplash 7 years ago, am 32. I have had 2 lots of facet blocks c5/6 that have helped over the last year and a half, yet still get headaches and neck pain. Dr's either can't diagnose where the pain is from, some say all psycological and a muscoskeletal dr recently suggested (based on my CT and MRI) I have a reversed cervical lordosis, whereby the neck is bending forward due to disc pressure on cord c5/6. This looks sensible and is the case in the pics. I guess it just sounds odd. I am having c3/4 facet blocks tomorrow to see if that helps head and upper neck pain. C5/6 shots got rid of arm pain and lower neck/ shoulder. Any thoughts? I hope all this made sense.

Mel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2003, 08:23 AM   #2
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Wink

Hi Mel,
    Yes what you are saying makes sense. I'm the other Mel THe loss of cervical lordosis, can be caused by the spasm and or pain from your neck . As the neck muscles get weaker the head pulls forward. You end up with a bit of a snowball effect. Becuase your neck hurts you hold it differently , and because you hold it differently, you develope the loss of cervical lordosis, and cause other pain because the increased strain on other muscles.
    Also, you can have painful discs without them being herniated completely. The disc itself has pain fibres, and these can be a source of pain in discs that dont show any abnormality on film. Hope this helps.
    Mel

Per the Guidelines, websites with message forums may not be posted. Mmebers must read and follow them.

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 01-16-2003).]
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 01-15-2003, 08:30 PM   #3
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi Mel,
    Thanks for your understanding. How is your neck/headaces? I had some 3/4 facet blocks today and will try 2/3 in a month to see what helps. I am working with a guy trying to fix my posture which is logical for a change. I was also looking at c2 nerve block for my headaches if the facet blocks don't settle it. The neck is so damn complicated. All the best to you.
    Mel

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 01-16-2003).]

Old 01-16-2003, 04:19 PM   #4
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hi Mel,
    today i am on the verge of one of those headaches. I can feel it coming, from the back of my head and then sort of numb to start on the right side of my face and head. It definately seems to be related to increasing muscle spasms. But then so does everything. I'm finding that when one thing starts , it all goes, hand in hand. Im on the verge of the headache, and both of my arms are really heavy and aching, and so on .
    The shots did help, I just find that the effects wear off about three months before i can have them again.
    How are you feeling after your shots? Hopefully this note finds you well.
    Mel
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 01-20-2003, 05:18 PM   #5
    Renee016

Renee016 HB User
    Hi, Mel. I too have a reverse cervical lordosis. I have three herniated discs in my neck - one minor, one torn and one totally ruptured that is pressing on the spinal cord. The kyphosis was discovered about a year and a half ago after a regular x-ray but the discs were only found after an MRI I had a month ago. My orthopedist told me it could go either way - the herniated discs could be causing the kyphosis or vice versa. I also have scoliosis and that my have something to do with the curve in my neck too.

Anyway, I know what your going through - hang in there and feel better.

Renee
    2002 Diagnosed with Epstein-Barr (level was 7+) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling, burning and numbness - diagnosed with myelopathy and ACDF recommended.
    2/24/03 One-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy with donor bone and titanium plate (C5-6)
    Post 2/03 - Symptoms returned and worsening. Weakness in my legs is like walking against a 50 mph wind - pain in lower back and all the way down my right leg to the ankle - vertigo, muscle spasms in trunk and legs
    7/03 EEG, BAERS and MRI of brain all normal
    7/03 MRI of lumbar spine showed mild herniated disc (L4/5) with moderate to severe DDD and edema in the endplates. HOLDING OUT FOR ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT!

Old 01-20-2003, 05:21 PM   #6
    Renee016

Renee016 HB User
    Mel, I have a question for you. What is a facet block? I never heard of this. Also, has your doctor said anything about surgery?

Take care,
    Renee
    2002 Diagnosed with Epstein-Barr (level was 7+) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling, burning and numbness - diagnosed with myelopathy and ACDF recommended.
    2/24/03 One-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy with donor bone and titanium plate (C5-6)
    Post 2/03 - Symptoms returned and worsening. Weakness in my legs is like walking against a 50 mph wind - pain in lower back and all the way down my right leg to the ankle - vertigo, muscle spasms in trunk and legs
    7/03 EEG, BAERS and MRI of brain all normal
    7/03 MRI of lumbar spine showed mild herniated disc (L4/5) with moderate to severe DDD and edema in the endplates. HOLDING OUT FOR ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT!

Old 01-21-2003, 05:33 AM   #7
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hi there Renee,
    I'm not sure which Mel you are referring to , but i'm going to try to answer your questions.
    Facet blocks, are a deep injection of long acting cortisone and local anesthesia injected into the facet area(the joint). It works two ways, the anesthesia helps to deaden the nerve, while the cortisone works as and anti-inflammatory to break down the associated muscle spasms and inflamation.They are usually given in sets of three, with the long acting cortisone, such as depo-medrol they are usually given every two weeks for the set of three.
    The injections themselves are not much fun, and i find i have increased pain for a day or two. I dont notice much relief after the first one, but by the time i have had the third one, i definately have much less spasm. Which in turn can help to get some of the pressure off of the nerve.
    For me the effects last approx 10 weeks. I have widespread cervical stenosis, with pronounced cord compression. So lots of symptoms, both arms heavy and aching, right leg the same, burning sometimes. Bladder problems, blinding headaches etc. I have been treating conservativly for over two years with poor effect, so i am flying to Chicago on Feb. 18 for neurosurgical consult. I wont get into the issues in Canadian Health Care ,but lets say I have to leave to get treatment. The general consensus here is no surgery till there is no other option(cant walk). As I am a busy nurse who was working on her masters degree and obtaining my Nurse Practitioner licence, I am needless to say very frustrated. I have been laid up this time since July, no work, school, walking far etc.
    Hopefully I have answered your questions regarding the blocks. And apparently gave you alot more info than you asked for,lol, http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif
    Please take care of yourself, and keep in touch.
    Mel

Old 01-23-2003, 07:46 AM   #8
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi Mel,

My headaches have been daily nearly since facet blocks one week ago c3/4. I am hoping this may mean they are in an inflamed area and may start to help? If not will try more in a month c2/3 or do 5/6 again(worst disc). What do you take for your headaches? I am taking cafergot and panadeine forte but I do get concerned and feel I need something stronger. I use alot of ice to try and use less meds. Such a vicous circle! Good luck with the study and keep pushing on. I am back at uni and it certainly can bring those headaches on when there is something due, exams etc. Hope your feeling ok today.
    Renee,
    I 'm sorry to hear your neck is in a bad way also. Have you had any treatments, surgery etc, for your neck? Was it whiplash related? I certainly understand the pain. What do we do with these silly necks? Take care.
    Mel

Old 01-23-2003, 09:07 AM   #9
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hi Mel,
    I think I mentioned the fact that I did not get relief with the first shot. I had some improvement with the second, and a big difference after the third.
    I hope you get some relief from the headaches soon, they can be so incapacitating. What are you taking in school right now? Good luck with your studies.Hope this note finds you improving.
    Mel

Old 01-23-2003, 10:41 AM   #10
    acousticgroupie

acousticgroupie HB User
    hey, I was just diagnosed with this condition. If your disk is herniated, what do they do? Curious and scared! I’d like to talk to anyone who knows a lot about this, [removed].com…thank you!

[Please read and follow the board posting guidelines.
    Do not post your email address on the message boards.
    Please communicate through posting on the boards only.]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 01-23-2003).]

Old 01-24-2003, 07:27 AM   #11
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hi there, welcome to the boards.
    Read back on the posts, there is a wealth of information. How they treat the discs is based in part on the symptoms it produces, and the amount of disc herniation(large or small), and on the length of time.Also on if the spinal cord is affected or not. Conservative treatments often provide healing and relief of small discs. Even large discs are usually treated conservatively at first. conservative treatment can be use of anti-infammatories (NSAIDS), ice, heat, rest, physiotherapy,trigger point injections etc. The place to start is with a referral to a neurosurgeon, and physiotherapy and take it from there.
    When conservative treatment fails, surgery is considered.
    for more specific info regarding this, you should find out the results of your MRI, and learn as much as you can. It helps you when explaining your symptoms and asking questions with your doctor. It gives you some power and control over your situation.
    Take care, Mel

Old 01-27-2003, 06:13 AM   #12
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi Mel,
    I am improving and feeling better. Maybe it's true the shots take 7-10ish days to work. Which shot did you have that took 3 times to work? facet or nerve block? Why do you think they take a few times? More questions, hope you don't mind. Your advice has really helped me understand the whole neck mechanics thing which is so complex. I read that article you mentioned on why patients get misdiagnosed( mensana clinic)and found it helpful, thanks.
    I am studying psycology which I find really interesting. I hope your feeling ok today, take care.
    Mel

Old 01-27-2003, 09:10 AM   #13
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hi Mel,
    I am glad you are getting some relief from the injections.
    The injections I had were facet injections. They are usually given in a set of three to achieve maximum anti-infammatory effect, every two weeks. And each time I went they divided the dose into three different sites, because i have multilevel damage. The maximum dose at any one time was 40mg of depo medrol+ freezing, and this was divided between C2-3.C4-5,C5-6.
    Hope this clears that up for you , let me know how you are doing, good luck with the studies.
    Mel

Old 01-29-2003, 05:35 AM   #14
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi Mel,
    Thanks for that. I have cortosone a long acting block which they can repeat at 6 months, sounds sort of similar to yours. The main thing is it is helping. Yet now I am having arm pain from c5/6 disc bulge and my doc mentioned considering a nerve root block here in a few weeks. I prefer arm pain to headaches yet it is odd and I havent had it before. Hope your doing ok. Take care,
    Mel

Old 01-29-2003, 06:21 AM   #15
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hi Mel,
    I am glad you are doing better.What a process to have to go through isn't it ? And your right about the headaches, I have joked with my hubby about chopping my head off when the headaches are severe, Or was i joking? lol!
    sorry to hear about the arm pain. I guess you can try the shot to relieve it in the future. For me the arm pain was a precursor to arm weakness. All you can do is give it a try. If it doesnt help or is only temporary you may have to consider doing something more permanent in the future. Take care of yourself
    Mel

Closed Thread