It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Need help to understand MRI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
    Btrfli1
    Veteran
    (female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User
    Need help to understand MRI

Can someone pllease help meunderstand my MRI report?

MRI report states:
    There are congenitally shortened pedicles/AP canal distance which serves to further exacerbate other factors contributing to central or forminal stenosis.

C2-C3 No problems

C3-C4. Minimal circumferential disc osteophytebcomplex. Mild central canal stenosis at 9.5mm. no facet arthropathy. Mild right forminal stenosis.

C4-C5. Mild disc osteophytebcomplex at right posterior lateral corner . No facet arthropathy.. Mild right forminal stenosis. Borderline central canal stenosis

C5-C6. Mild loss of disc height, mild circumferential disc osteophytebcomplex most prominent at the right posterior lateral corner. Flattening of the cord ventrally and goths eit. Near effacement of the CSF mantle with AP diameter 7.8 mm, moderate spinal stenosis. moderate to severe right forminal stenosis. No left forminal stenosis.

C6-C7. mild circumferential disc bulge. Mild localized dilation of the central canal to 1.5 mm is posterior syrinx. mild facet arthropathy. mild foraminal stenosis. mild indentation of the cord with near effacement of the CSF mantle.

C7-T1. no problems.

Any help you can provide is appreciated so much.

Last edited by Btrfli1; 10-02-2013 at 04:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Need help to understand MRI

He starts out by saying that you have congenitally short pedicles, which are sort of "spacer" bones in your spinal structure. Short pedicles mean that the spinal canal is not as big - "AP", or front-to-back - is it "ought" to be. This condition is called congenital (or developmental) spinal stenosis. Not terribly uncommon. By itself, it's not a problem, but it means that your canal has less buffer space for the spinal cord, so problems that occur over decades - like bulging disks and osteophytes - are more likely to eventually impact the cord.

<< C3-C4. Minimal circumferential disc osteophytebcomplex.>>

A disc osteophyte complex means an overgrowth of bone - due to long-term stress - coming off the backs of the vertebrae where they interface with the disk.

<< Mild central canal stenosis at 9.5mm.>>

Your spinal canal is slightly narrowed by the d-o-c. 9.5mm is not so bad (I have seen 4mm). It wouldn't be even that narrow if you hadn't started out with congenital stenosis.

<< no facet arthropathy >>

The facet joints - on the sides of the spinal cage - are OK.

<< Mild right forminal stenosis.>>

The d-o-c has slightly narrowed the right-side foramen, which is the opening through which passes the C4 nerve after it leaves the cord and heads to the shoulder.

<< C5-C6. Mild loss of disc height, mild circumferential disc osteophytebcomplex most prominent at the right posterior lateral corner. Flattening of the cord ventrally >>

At the level between the C5 and C6 vertebrae, a d-o-c has reached back far enough to flatten the front of the spinal cord. Not indent... just flatten.

<< and goths eit. >> ??

<< Near effacement of the CSF mantle >>

The cerebrospinal fluid - which flows the length of the spinal canal and surrounds the spinal cord as a buffer - has been mostly "effaced" (pushed away) by the d-o-c. Since he already said the d-o-c had flattened the cord, this rather goes without saying.

<< with AP diameter 7.8 mm, moderate spinal stenosis >>

Not terribly bad.

<< moderate to severe right forminal stenosis >>

The first occurrences of "moderate" (borderline problematic) and "severe" (probably problematic). Your right C6 nerve - which ends up in your thumb - might be impacted by the d-o-c at this level. This would be called "radiculopathy", or "problem with the [nerve] root".

<< C6-C7. mild circumferential disc bulge. Mild localized dilation of the central canal to 1.5 mm is posterior syrinx. >>

Doesn't make sense. Is that what it says? Anyway, perhaps the heart of the problem is the syrinx. 1.5mm seems smallish to me, but I'm an amateur so don't take my word for it. You might want to look up "syringomyelia" to get some background. This is something you really need to discuss with a doctor, better yet, two or three. As there's no cure for syrinxes apart from surgery, I suspect they'll all tell you to wait and see, but you still should find out as much as you can.

<< mild facet arthropathy. mild foraminal stenosis. mild indentation of the cord with near effacement of the CSF mantle. >>

OK, so at this level the cord is "indented", which is a little worse that at the higher level. Still not necessarily a big concern. I wonder if the syrinx is indenting the cord (should be dilating it, actually). I also wonder if perhaps the syrinx has been CAUSED by obstruction of the CSF.

Anyway, I don't know your symptoms, so it could be that the severe foraminal stenosis is your main problem, or maybe the flattening/indenting of the cord by d-o-c's. Maybe it's not the syrinx at all, and that's a red herring (for now, anyway).

Last edited by WebDozer; 10-02-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
    Btrfli1
    Veteran
    (female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User
    Re: Need help to understand MRI

Thank you SO much for taking time to help me WebDozer!!! Syrinx started much smaller, originally at .2mm. Have been doing research and unfortunately, the symptoms I have been telling dr about for more a year now and which are so extremely painful, are consistent with Syringomeylia. When I'm standing for more than an hour or two pressure starts to build at about T2-T3' which gets more and more painful. This pain affects entire midback, from amount T6 to shoulders this pain causes extreme spasms. Once the pain starts, it becomes worse and worse. I also have two bulging discs at L4 L5 which are impinging S1 nerve. That pain is a completely different pain from this mid back issue. I have a pretty high level of tolerance for pain, and have been trying to deal, but finally had to get meds for relief. pain was so bad I was in Tera's and unable to sleep many nights. Thank you for your kindness in helping me. I have an appointment with the dr this week and with your I can get a list of questions to discuss.

Closed Thread