It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• ? corpectomy with anterior and posterior decomprssion w/fusion and plates surgery thi

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
    OFFSHORE
    (female)

OFFSHORE HB User
    Post ? corpectomy with anterior and posterior decomprssion w/fusion and plates surgery thi

Hi, I had a cervical fusion at c5-6 and c6-7 in october 2001 have plate with six screws also used own hip bone. the 6-7 did not fuse not sure if the c5-6 fused. I also have fractured screws. this is what one DR wants to do and its schulded for this week some body please advise me on this

remove hardware,
    c6-7 corpectomy,
    anterior cervical fusion c5-7 lliac bone graft and instrumentation plus
    cervical laminectomy c5-t1, posterior cervical fusion and instrumentation
    did any body ever have this done. also should I donate my own blood for this. what kind of brace will i be in? what will the recovery be like? did anybody ever have this much done at once

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2003, 10:39 AM   #2
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Hi Offshore,
    I'm not positive, but I don't think any of the regular posters have had this much done. This is a bit different, not only because of the failed fusion, but because of the corpectomy. Tropical Fox just had a partial corpectomy, and BarbS has had a corpectomy. But I don't know if anyone has had both the anterior and posterior entry all in the same operation.

One thing I have to ask is if you are a smoker? I am wondering why, with all that is going on, your doctor wants to also use your own bone? Smoking is the one thing that stands out about why fusions fail, and why you use your own bone. But maybe it's just the entire intricacy of the whole thing that makes him want to do that.

If you are going to have this done this week, it's too late, I believe, to donate your own blood. And if you do donate it, you will need to take a prescription to the blood bank. At least that is what they told me here in Florida. To get a clear answer, please ask your doctor about the chances of blood loss for this procedure, etc.

You should be in a hard collar, I would also guess, for a long time. The most popular versions are Miami J, Aspen, and Philly (I think). If you need more support, you may be in a MiamiJTO (?) which will support your upper body, too, like BarbS. If you do a search, you can read her story. Also there is a thread about some of the popular collars, although it's not a technical column.

But the point is, do you agree with this doctor and get a good feeling that he knows what he is talking about? Will you have a chance at relief? What is your gut feeling about this person? Have you gotten a second and even third opinion for this? This is really heavy duty surgery, and because of the posterior approach, it will take quite a recovery time. Ask about physical therapy afterward. How much and for how long? Is your situation so precarious that you HAVE to have surgery very quickly?

These are some of the questions you need to ask yourself and your doctor. Do research if you can sit up long enough to do it, and we are here for support! I hope you can get enough good answers quick enough to help. Take care....
    wr

Old 04-07-2003, 10:57 AM   #3
    OFFSHORE
    (female)

OFFSHORE HB User
    thanks for your reply and help.
    yes, i'm a smoker, but still had a failed fusion before even with my own bone. this is from a work injury that happened in march 2001 and the first surgery was october 2001 that was from a dr in my state.

i'll be getting this one done in ny. my dr assured me that i won't need a blood transfusion but as funny as it seem thats all i was worried about.

i'm not happy about having the cage and being plated in the front and back each plate will be with six screws. i just hope this works and gets rid of some of the pain. hopefully i'll be able to return to work. but after i heal from this one i than have to have the L4-L5 done as that one also is herniated with serve facet hypertrophy and sever impingement.

the first surgery i had after a c5-6 and c6-7 decompression and fusion with my own hip bone i was up an hour after i got to my room i walked down stairs for a cigarette of course without their okay. for that i was place in a soft collar but for this one coming up i was thinking maybe i wouldn't need a brace since there is going to be so many cages and plates

Old 04-07-2003, 06:30 PM   #4
    Niki47

Niki47 HB User
    Hi there!

I had multi-level corpectomy... Could NOT have the cage because I am a smoker.

I have my own bone (iliac) and titanium plating. Wore an Aspen hard collar for 8 to 10 weeks, used a Miami for showers. Then soft collar for another 6 or 8 weeks.

I did NOT donate blood, but had (according to the surgeon) less than a tablespoon of blood loss.

The recovery has been difficult and lengthy for me, but that is because I had myelopathy.

I am not sure what you'd like to know, but either Barbs123 or myself can probably answer alot of your questions.

Niki

Old 04-07-2003, 07:23 PM   #5
    OFFSHORE
    (female)

OFFSHORE HB User
    Niki,

thanks for your reply, you calmed me down alot i was so afraid of having to get blood as for my first surgery that sr had me donate blood in case but of coarse i didn't need it. is what their planing on doing a lot here it is:

remove hardware
    C6-7 corpectomy
    anterior cervical fusion C5-7 with lliac bone graft and reinstrumentation
    cervical laminectomy C5-T1
    posterior cervical fusion and instrumentation
    i was told that the corpectomy might be more than 1 level
    how much movement will i have or how much will i lose it just seems like so much hardware with the plates, screws, and cages.
    how long will i be in the hospital?
    so you were in a brace for sometime, did you have a plate in the front and back to? how do you feel now? Hope your feeling a lot better. thanks for your help i just feel such a relieve knowing i won't have to be giving any blood.
    does is seem like so much is being done at once i couldn't find anybody on here that had almost the same

Old 04-08-2003, 07:49 AM   #6
    Niki47

Niki47 HB User
    Hi again!

Melanie dawn was gonna have rods and stuff, but I think they have changed their minds.

My procedure was all anterior. I have a plate from like c-3 to 7. I have gained back (after 5 months) a pretty good bit of range of motion. I have trouble looking right very far, so the standing joke is I only make left hand turns!

I do have a loss of motion in the "lean your ear to your shoulder" move. BUT....

I read alot of reports that actually show that the motion is reportedly BETTER by people with many levels because the pain pre-op had reduced the motion to a minimum. So any reduction of pain will increase your motion. (makes sense, yes?)

I was only in the hospital for a few days. I admit to being a total VEG at home, but I had other complications from the myelopathy. I would say that I am now... at 5 months, what most others were at a few weeks. So don't compare me in the recovery regard.

I think the corpectomy will be your most intense procedure, so if you research that, you will well be able to predict the most usual stuff... Type Cervical Corpectomy into your search engine and there is a BUNCH of info. I don't how to get my links into these posts... it never works. (techno-tard here)

You may find that your arms will give you the most trouble. You won't be able to reach. Most people get a "grabber"... or move your most needed items to counter top level ahead of time. (coffee cups type things)

If you have a shower chair... great. If not, a cheap 5 dollar lawn chair in the shower is a great help. You will need assistance at first.

There are lots of good archived posts about the little helpful aids that people have used.

I guess the best advice I have for you would be this... It is a rough go for the first few weeks. Be kind to yourself, and just let your body heal. When you are able to do things, go slowly! And when you start physical therapy... be diligent! It may seem awful at first, but the long run benefits are very good! And when you feel like the world sucks, you are ruined and nothing will ever be the same... get on board and read that "this too will pass". smile.

Best of luck and health to you!

niki

Old 04-08-2003, 06:17 PM   #7
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Cindy, good luck with the surgery. I really hope it goes well and that you can start a successful recovery. Hope to see you on the boards in a few days.
    wr

Closed Thread