It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Sore muscles, stabbing pains

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2003, 08:18 PM   #1
Renee016

Renee016 HB User
Post Sore muscles, stabbing pains

Hey, everyone - had a question. The past several days I've been having more and more trouble sleeping. I'm a side sleeper but I can't sleep on one side very long without having to roll over because the muscles in my neck feel strained. I.E. if I'm laying on my right side, I feel pulling on left side muscles in my neck and vice versa so I toss and turn all night. I only wore my collar for two weeks and now its been off two weeks so how weak could my muscles get?

Also, has anyone had little stabbing pains at your incision site? It's only like for a split second but makes me want to jump up in my chair, it feels so sharp (if this makes sense). There is also a lot of lumpiness around the site - what could this be? Is it maybe scar tissue on the inside?

Glad I got to post - wishing everyone and their families well during these difficult times.

Renee

[This message has been edited by Renee016 (edited 03-23-2003).]
2002 Diagnosed with Epstein-Barr (level was 7+) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling, burning and numbness - diagnosed with myelopathy and ACDF recommended.
2/24/03 One-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy with donor bone and titanium plate (C5-6)
Post 2/03 - Symptoms returned and worsening. Weakness in my legs is like walking against a 50 mph wind - pain in lower back and all the way down my right leg to the ankle - vertigo, muscle spasms in trunk and legs
7/03 EEG, BAERS and MRI of brain all normal
7/03 MRI of lumbar spine showed mild herniated disc (L4/5) with moderate to severe DDD and edema in the endplates. HOLDING OUT FOR ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2003, 09:26 PM   #2
BWL
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
Hi Renee,

Good to hear from you. I had similar sleeping issues. Actually, I'm up typing now because I'm still having them.

I think the better you feel the more you move around in your sleep and the more you may irritate your neck. I cannot stay on my side too long anymore and find I flip back and forth more often, although I sense it's getting a little better. I'm not sure if it's from weak muscles or just a culmination of general trauma to the area that causes the problem.

The warm embrace of my halcion is pulling me back to bed.

Feel well, sleep.

Bruce

------------------
ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 03-24-2003, 07:19 AM   #3
SherryElaine

SherryElaine HB User
Hi Renee
I think what your describing is what I feel also at times. The pulling of the neck feeling like my skin it too short to streach to be comfortable. I feel that when I lay on my back.... I don't have the stick feeling you explained. In your incision site. Not yet anyway. But I was thinking it could be the nerves trying to connect back together where it is numb. I had a surgery in my mouth and one side was numb and when the feeling started trying to come back I had electrical shocks and sticks and doc told me it was the nerves trying to come back to life and reconnect.

------------------

Sher

Old 03-24-2003, 05:02 PM   #4
franjo
Senior Veteran
(female)

franjo HB User
Renee,

I've had the stabbing, shooting pain at the incision site too. I think it's just part of the healing process as nerves recover. The thickness may be from underlying sutures that haven't dissolved yet, causing a hard, knotted feel. That's just my thoughts. Mine went away over time. I didn't get that with each surgery though, just a couple of them.

It's good to hear that you're recovering well. I hope you're able to find that "comfort zone" so you can get some good sleep.

Take Care, Teri
Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
Lumbar fusion-1968
Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
Femoral osteotomy-1971
Tethered cord release-1987
Rod removal-1987
Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
Tethered cord release-2003
Fusion with instrumentation with lots and lots of screws-2003

Old 03-24-2003, 08:08 PM   #5
Renee016

Renee016 HB User
Thanks everyone for your replies. Sherry, that's exactly how it feels - not enough skin to accomodate stretching!

I went for x-rays today - bone wedge looks off center but what do I know. I will see my doctor on Wed with the x-rays.

Take care
Renee
2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling, burning and numbness - diagnosed with myelopathy and ACDF recommended.
2/24/03 One-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy with donor bone and titanium plate (C5-6)
Post 2/03 - Symptoms returned and worsening. Weakness in my legs is like walking against a 50 mph wind - pain in lower back and all the way down my right leg to the ankle - vertigo, muscle spasms in trunk and legs
7/03 MRI of lumbar spine showed mild herniated disc (L4/5) with moderate to severe DDD and edema in the endplates. HOLDING OUT FOR ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT!

Old 03-25-2003, 09:06 AM   #6
SherryElaine

SherryElaine HB User
I go to the doctor Wednesday also for 1st post op visit..... Bone wedge off center??? Renee that made me cringe, I hope your wrong about that. Let us know how your doctor visit went.

------------------

Sher

Old 03-25-2003, 01:06 PM   #7
Debbie2
Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
I still get those quick prinkly pains. Don't even notice them most of the time. Is this just a guess you are making Renee, the off center bone thing? Or did the technician say that? I really doubt that. You also have plenty of skin... it goes a long way. Let us know tomorrow how the appointment goes.
Debbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Renee016:
Thanks everyone for your replies. Sherry, that's exactly how it feels - not enough skin to accomodate stretching!

I went for x-rays today - bone wedge looks off center but what do I know. I will see my doctor on Wed with the x-rays.

Take care
Renee

------------------
Debbie2
ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
September 4, 2002.

Old 03-26-2003, 07:14 PM   #8
Renee016

Renee016 HB User
Doctor said everything looked good. He told me they purposely leave a space so that if the wedge were to slip it would not hit the spinal cord. This explains why it looked off-center to me.

He gave me exercises to do and has me coming back in three weeks to discuss whether I need physical therapy or not. It will take some more time to check for fusion, he said.

Also, I got same samples of Ultracet for pain to help me sleep at night - we'll see if it works tomorrow!

Sherry, how did your apt. go?

Renee

[This message has been edited by Renee016 (edited 03-26-2003).]

Old 03-26-2003, 07:37 PM   #9
BWL
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
Great news Renee. That's an interesting tidbit about them leaving a little space behind the graft.

What kind of exercises did he give you?

Bruce

------------------

Old 03-27-2003, 08:17 AM   #10
SherryElaine

SherryElaine HB User
Hi Renee
The doctor took x-rays and said my neck looked liked it was supose to. I told him about my numb neck and he was surprised and said I was the first to ever have mentioned it. None of his others patients ever got the numb neck. He said he must of clipped a sensory nerve. He did not know when the feeling would come back if ever since I was the first he ever had it happen to. He said since I still have some pain in my arm and thumb that I could try PT 2 to 3 times a week for 6 weeks on my arm to stretch my nerves. NO NECK PT. But that was up to me and I could wait another 2 weeks before trying PT. I can drive now if I can do so with out turning my neck real far. Also still have restrictions on house work and lifting same as before. I go back in 4 weeks......

------------------

Sher

Old 03-28-2003, 10:04 AM   #11
Renee016

Renee016 HB User
I have to do range of motion and isometric exercises after my shower every morning and, if I have stiffness, before bed. I've been forgetting!

I forgot to ask about the numbness under my chin but it seems to be going away. Sherry, that is something what your doctor told you - hopefully it will go away.

Ultracet works great but totally knocks me out. First night I took it I did not even hear my alarm go off in the morning and my kid was almost late for school! I still wake up at night when I have to roll over and with the Ultracet it is weird because everything feels heavy and my head feels all groggy when I move it - strange sensation.

Anyway, going to enjoy this beautiful spring day. Take care, everyone.
Renee

Old 03-28-2003, 10:47 AM   #12
bdb

bdb HB User
I slept with a soft collar for six weeks after my surgery. I wore the hard collar by day and slept with the soft collar. Once I was done with the collar I went to physio but that made everything worse so had to stop that but one good thing she told me was to massage in some moisturizer a few times a day. I think it was the massageing the scar that broke up the little lumps I was getting around my scar. The moisturizer just allowed me to massage it without pulling on the skin too much. My scar is very smooth now. You might ask about doing that when the time comes.
I still can not lie on my right side as the neck feels like it is shifting when I do. I still wake up when I move at night because of problems in the mid and lower back. I would love to be able to go to sleep and have a normal sleep right through the night.
bdb

Old 03-29-2003, 08:22 AM   #13
SherryElaine

SherryElaine HB User
dbd
How long since your surgery? I cannot keep up with everyone any more since so many are having surgery now. I have not been able to lay on my left side since surgery because it would cause neck pain and felt strained. But the weirdest thing happen 2 nights ago. I was on my right side asleep and noise in my neck woke me up. It sounded like a rubber band pop in my neck and then I heard a shifting sound like bones moving and it scraed the crap out of me and I waited for pain to apear and there was nothing. I don't know what happened but now my neck stifness is gone and I can lay on either side now without pain.

------------------

Sher

Old 03-29-2003, 09:01 AM   #14
BWL
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
Sher,

I had a similar popping experience with three very clear pops. Totally flipped me out and had me staring wide-eyed at the ceiling thinking, "dear g-d, what have I done!" Sleeping on my side is much easier now as long as I have good support otherwise I get some neck strain.

Br

------------------

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 03-29-2003)Because he cannot type.]

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 03-29-2003).]

Old 03-29-2003, 11:22 AM   #15
winged phantom
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Sherry and Bruce,
and double http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif You both were asleep when this happened? Is this something I have to look forward to? Well, just as long as it means I can sleep on either side afterward.
wr

Closed Thread