It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Epidural injection or surgery for spinal stenosis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2003, 10:18 PM   #1
    melwood

melwood HB User
    Post Epidural injection or surgery for spinal stenosis?

Ruptured disk at T-11 in 1991. Spinal cord damage (incomplete) resulted from laminectomy in 1991. Lost, then recovered, urinary and bowel function. Still disabled from loss of proprioception and paresis until present time. Can walk short distances with two canes. Have begun to have chronic pain in lower back & both legs. Recent MRI reveals spinal stenosis, bulging lumbar disk & bone spur formation. Torn between trying epidural injections or undergoing another surgery to enlarge spinal canal, remove spurs, etc. Advice welcomed. Which road should I take?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2003, 11:02 PM   #2
    bdb

bdb HB User
    Sorry I have no experience with the thoracic spine so I can't recomend treatment. If it were me though I would go for surgery before I would let anybody put a needle in my back. But then, I am a big baby when it comes to needles.
    Hope you make the right decision for you.
    bdb

Old 04-12-2003, 05:33 PM   #3
    KeithEugeneW
    Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
    I found that the injections were not all that big of a deal. I was scared to get them, until I had the first one and found out they are not painful at all, just weird feeling. Make sure that they use a fluroscope when doing it so they can see exactly where the needle is when they do it. I'd say it's worth a try, but understand that it may not work for you. I hear there's a 50/50 chance they will work. In my case I was on the wrong side of the equation, but I still have a 3rd one to do, so who knows, that may change!

Closed Thread