It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• To Nair or not to Nair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2003, 09:14 PM   #1
    IonMan
    (male)

IonMan HB User
    Post To Nair or not to Nair

I had a thought and was wondering what input you folks could give me to help determine if this is a good idea.
    As I will be looking forward to wearing a Miami J collar for 6 to 8 weeks I was wondering if some kind of hair removal product such as Nair for facial hair or stuff advertised on TV might be an idea to avoid irritation of beard growth & shaving around the incision site on my neck & chin.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
    Cliff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2003, 09:43 PM   #2
    bdb

bdb HB User
    Gee, I never thought about that. You guys must have a hard time with that! I don't know if I would want to be getting Nair in the incision. It could really burn! You should check with your doctor or nurse. Maybe once your beard is 1/4 inch or so long it won't irritate so much. Could you let it grow in a bit before surgery so it won't be so itchy once you have surgery?
    bdb

Old 04-12-2003, 09:58 PM   #3
    IonMan
    (male)

IonMan HB User
    I was thinking for using it a day or two before surgery and then hoping that the one application would at least get thru till the wound is healed up some.

Having no experince with alternative hair removal methods other than a razor I don't even know how long this method last. It was just a passing thought.

I don't think growing my beard out is a good idea. I used to have a beard and they take work to keep clean.
    Besides they itch like crazy after a few days until it grows out inch or so mine does/did.

Just to make bathing easier I am going to get a buzz cut the day before surgery. Gee, that will be the shortest my hair will have been in almost 30 years, and that was boot camp. I know my friends will love it, that is the ones who arn't already loosing their hair. LOL (My hair line has yet to start the march over the top to the rear, but i sure have a lot of distiguishing silver highlights. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/jester.gif )

Cheers
    Cliff

[This message has been edited by IonMan (edited 04-13-2003).]

Old 04-12-2003, 10:59 PM   #4
    joprud
    Inactive

joprud HB User
    Hey Cliff,

Hmmmm...Don’t know how that would work for a guy....coarser hair and all.... my daughter and I tried it once {yes...on our legs...no comments from the peanut gallery } and were not at all impressed. As for other stuff advertised...no clue. Perhaps the guys could jump in with a few suggestions. Or as bdb says...check with your doc.

Joanne

[This message has been edited by joprud (edited 04-13-2003).]

Old 04-12-2003, 11:50 PM   #5
    bdb

bdb HB User
    OK I hate to do this in public but I can tell you that the Nair for the Bikini line works great! 10 minutes, a quick shower and you are off and running.
    bdb

[This message has been edited by bdb (edited 04-13-2003).]

Old 04-13-2003, 01:01 AM   #6
    Nanner
    Veteran
    (female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User
    Cliff, great to hear about a male on the list getting his hair chopped off for surgery! I cut my hair short and liked the no-care fast drying part so much it's still short.

As for Nair, I don't think I'd recommend it for a couple of reasons. If you have coarse hair, you need to leave it on longer for it to work. That can lead to burning of the skin. That stuff is pretty caustic, and in tender areas like your throat it can be a problem. (yeah, voice of experience here, from my pre-electrolysis days) I would definitely not use it after surgery near the wound.

The other thing is that it does not kill the root, you just get surface hair removal. So if you are a 5 o'clock shadow kind of guy it won't buy you many hairfree days before you would need to use it again.

The only thing that works longer would be waxing. If you only want to do the area near the cut, you could plan ahead and clear the area. You would need to use hot facial wax if the hair is coarse (again the voice of experience. Cold wax won't do the trick).

You test the wax to make sure you don't have it hot enough to burn the skin, put on a decent layer, then just zip it off (the faster the better). There has to be stubble for the wax to grab, but once you do this you should be hairless for a couple of weeks.

If the idea makes you squeamish, go to a salon that offers hot waxing and have it done for you.

------------------
    Nancy D-ACDF C6-7 on 6/7/02. Donor bone with no hardware

[This message has been edited by Nanner (edited 04-13-2003).]

Old 04-13-2003, 05:25 AM   #7
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    I agree, no Nair. No need to take chances on a bad reaction. This is chemical removal and you can really have allergic reactions (had a friend who was in pain after hair removal - yes on the legs). So just wait for one of the guys to come along. I know Bruce had us laughing once about how he had to shave and his neck was numb from the surgery. He'll be able to advise you better. Just don't Nair.. okay?

Debbie

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Old 04-13-2003, 06:39 AM   #8
    Florida Beach Guy

Florida Beach Guy HB User
    Hi Cliff,

I wouldn't use nair. I shaved the morning of the surgery and then I didn't shave for almost 2 weeks. I was real careful around the incision area, I pulled the skin down with me hand to make it tight in the incision area. You might try an electric razor.

AFter a few weeks, when the incision starts to heal, rub Vitimin E oil on the scar several times a day. It will keep it soft and it heal will better. My scar is barely noticable. I have to really look in the mirror to find it.

I wish you good luck.
    Leo

------------------
    ACDF C5-C6 & C6-C7 with Titanium plate and Donor Bone. 4/23/2002

[This message has been edited by Florida Beach Guy (edited 04-13-2003).]

Old 04-13-2003, 08:09 AM   #9
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Cliff,

I have a beard and didn't want to shave it befoe surgery as we've grown attached. Since I couldn't lift my arm without pain I took a bunch of percocet and managed to trim my beard very short and to shave my neck relatively high. FYI - This is not an endorsement for any activity combining pain-killers and a razor.

The day before surgery I also had my hair cut very short so I wouldn't have to worry about brushing it or even thinking about it.

The surgeon trimmed a little by my throat and I still had my beard when I woke up.

The growth on my neck did not bother the incision at all although if you're not used to it, it may itch a little. I wouldn't worry about it I imagine you'll have other things on your mind. I was able to shave my neck within a week of surgery and you just stay away from the incision. It's strange,after years of shaving mostly my neck I could have done it blindfolded, but now you I have to be aware of the incsision site. Just when I was getting good.

Admit it, you're just looking for an excuse to try Nair and this whole surgery thing is made up??

Enjoy the beautiful day.

Bruce

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 04-13-2003).]

Old 04-13-2003, 08:38 AM   #10
    IonMan
    (male)

IonMan HB User
    Bruce,

Well I have heard that we all should explore our feminine side. This was one way to do so. LOL
    But I draw a line at short shorts!!

I was laughing when I read of your shaving while blindfolded. It brought back a memory of when I did have my bushy beard. It was late one night about 3-4 years ago and I thought I would just run the trimmer over it to even & clean it up before going to bed. So I stumble into the bathroom grab the electric trimmer flick it on & go and run the trimmer up my neck over the chin, right up the middle, only to find that I had left the trimmer height set for what I use for my mustache. What saw in the mirror sure waked me up fast. A reverse Mohawk on my face!! I can laugh now but at the time I did not feel like laughing. Here is this bushy beard with a short scraggly strip up the middle. Well after trimming the rest of my beard short I looked at it and after having a beard for about 20 yrs I shaved the whole damn thing off. Now if I let it grow more than a couple, three days it just itches like crazy.

Funny thing, the woman I was going with at the time had been trying to get me to shave for a while, what do you think the first thing she said to me when she saw the results? “Why didn’t you shave that cookie duster too?” Then a few weeks later she tells me that the beard was softer than my scratchy 5 o’clock shadow. Females, need I say more?? (LMAO, expecting this should draw some fire)

Cheers
    Cliff

Old 04-13-2003, 08:42 AM   #11
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Cliff,

I am laughing hysterically over your wrong setting story. I'm always afraid of that.

Oh man are you going to be in trouble when the gals read that post.

I "had" a girlfriend who hated the beard. I had the beard for over 10 years and I had only known her five or six weeks. Still have the beard.

Bruce

Old 04-13-2003, 08:46 AM   #12
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Cliff,

Here is a copy from a prior post concerning shaving that I posted in March:

It's Probably better for you ladies that you don't have to shave. I have a beard, but still like to shave my neck. The first time i shaved it, maybe two weeks after surgery, I had to remind myself to be careful and not use too much pressure, but not to be too lighthanded either. At first, nothing, so I pressed the razor a little harder...then a little harder still, all this time unable to feel anything and still my beard was intact. At this point I just saw my puzzled look in the mirror and then realized I had left that stupid plastic protective cover on the razor. Me smart.

Bruce
    ------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 03-01-2003).]

Old 04-13-2003, 08:50 AM   #13
    IonMan
    (male)

IonMan HB User
    Bruce,

I am glad I read that prior to surgery, or else it would hurt too much. Still laughing hystericaly.

Cheers
    Cliff

[This message has been edited by IonMan (edited 04-13-2003).]

Old 04-13-2003, 09:34 AM   #14
    TropicalFox
    (female)

TropicalFox HB User
    Talking

hi cliff!

if you still want to use something like nair, go to a beauty supply store and ask for a product used in barber shops for people who have skin problems. i don't know what the name is but it's similar to nair except that it's used only for beards and very gentle. my neighbor in Puerto Rico owns a barber shop and hasn't shaved for over 30 years... he only uses this product and his face looks good!

if a beauty supply doesn't have it, let your fingers do the walking and call some barber shops for a name and a supplier... or you might find it online!

hugs,

sandra

------------------
    " In the middle of every ocean of difficulty is an island of opportunity."
    Author Unknown

Old 04-13-2003, 11:30 AM   #15
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    Ah men in beards
    My hubby shaved his off once, I hated it. It took three or four days to grow back and I couldn't wait!
    He too keeps his pretty short, but when he's lazy it can get a bit scruffy on the checks (he shaves his checks and neck. But, he's never had neck surgery either... just had his rotator cuff done though. Let me tell you, it was 10 x worse then our spinal surgery. He suffered for weeks and didn't work for months.
    It was bad... (or he was a sissy)...
    Just kidding ... he's my honey!
    Debbie

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Closed Thread