It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• can disc problem affect collarbone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2003, 05:07 PM   #1
    andybolton

andybolton HB User
    Post can disc problem affect collarbone?

Ok, this question might sound a little stupid, but im not too knowledgeable about disc problems so bear with me. i have a bulging disc at c6-c7 that is really effecting my right shoulder and neck. in addition, my collarbone has started jutting out on the right side under my chin (i think its the sternoclavicular joint?). can this be a result of the disc? can a bulging disc cause swelling where the collarbone would stick out noticeably? thanks a lot and god bless!-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2003, 05:47 PM   #2
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    hi Andy,

Shoulder and neck pain and sound about right, but the collarbone thing sounds a little odd. Could it be that the area is more neurlogically sensitive as a result of the disc and you may just be much more aware of it than usual?

brue

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 04-13-2003).]

Old 04-13-2003, 06:27 PM   #3
    andybolton

andybolton HB User
    yeah, i may just be more aware of it. i didnt really notice it until my doc asked me if i had ever broken my collarbone. i said no, and asked why he said that, and he said that the right was just a lot more prominent than the left. it actually makes the skin a bit more taut on that side. i noticed that you had c6-c7 fusion. what were your symptoms before the surgery? did you ever get pulling sensations up by your ear or corner of your lip? also, was your shoulder blade effected much? my neck and right under my arm (armpit area) seem to bother me the most. thanks for the reply!!!

Old 04-13-2003, 06:39 PM   #4
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Pre-surgery my pain was in my right arm and hand. I had a little shoulder pain, but the arm and hand were the ones that brought me to my knees. My right tricep was zapped and is still very weak and my thumb and index finger are numb and tingly. The rest of my hand just feels weird.

Despite the few remaining issues my surgery was definitly successful.

By the way, I have the semi-jutting collarbone from a break about..dear g-d....24 years ago.

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 04-13-2003, 06:44 PM   #5
    Catherine with a C
    Inactive

Catherine with a C HB User
    Hi Andy,
    I cannot say that I have ever heard of the disc effecting the collarbone area. When I read your post however, I thought of my Aunt who was diagnosed many moon's ago with TOS. Thorasic outlet syndrome----whereupon the upper rib impinges upon the nerve, hence causing numbness when extended. ie: reaching, driving... they did surgery, removed the rib....sounds worse than it is; & she has been free of pain ever since. I am by no means a DR. but I am the daughter of one....I have not!!! slept at a Holiday Inn in years!! Perhaps you can suggest a test to your Dr.!?
    I am sorry for any of your pain/discomfort.
    You shall be added onto my thinking of you & prayer list.
    Until later, stay strong!!
    Catherine

Closed Thread