It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

home

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
TropicalFox
(female)

TropicalFox HB User
Post home

got home saturday around 5:30 pm
have voice, can't swallow more than tiny sip of water,
can't swallow pills, hubby crushes them up and dilutes them so i can take them.
finally slept a couple of hours last night. cn't lie back at all, saliva chokes me.
have been able to swallow some ensure today and last night but not more than a few sips. spend most of my time coughing & spitting up to clear throat, and trying to find comfortable position. walking helps.
diaphragm & chest pain from so much coughing. makes me anxious but doc said all this is part of recovery so at least i know it isn't a heart attack.
lost 10 pds so far! wish i could say something positive but i have never felt thi bad in my life,
just hope i can swallow soon. i can tolerate the pain but not the throat!
please keep me in your prayers.

sandra

------------------
" In the middle of every ocean of difficulty is an island of opportunity."
Author Unknown

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2003, 10:21 AM   #2
lori1851

lori1851 HB User
Sandra,
Hi hon!!! Glad to see you are recooperating. I remember the sore throat and it does get better. Just think you are already on the recovery road!!!! Im still waiting to get there !!!
Take Care and Get Plenty Of Rest
Lori

Old 03-31-2003, 10:21 AM   #3
bdb

bdb HB User
Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time of it. I know the throat drove me around the bed but it really does clear up. Soon you will be eating popsicles, puddings and soup and then poached eggs etc. Before you know it This will be a thing of the past. Try to get lots of rest.
bdb

[This message has been edited by bdb (edited 03-31-2003).]

Old 03-31-2003, 11:01 AM   #4
Debbie2
Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
Oh you poor kid, I pray these days pass quickly for you. I will have to go look at exactly what you had done. I ate that night and didn't have any swallowing problems like that. But each operation is different and so are our bodies. Can you take the popsicle? It would be nice and cool. How about a cough drop, can you handle that? Just be very careful with those that you don't choke, I would only take them once you could control the cough a little. My heart goes out to you, hope this gets really better for you today. Hang in the sweetie, you'll feel lots better real soon. How bout that pain? Gone I hope!
Debbie

------------------
Debbie2
ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
September 4, 2002.

Old 03-31-2003, 11:28 AM   #5
melanie dawn
Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
Hi, I am glad to see you home. I am so sorry about the problems with your throat. Here's hoping it resolves quickly. Best of luck! Mel
Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 03-31-2003, 11:44 AM   #6
winged phantom
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Hey, you sly Fox, you had me worried for you! I know you feel like "carp", but at least you are home and are starting the long recovery road. Get whatever sleep you can, and I hope you can soon find some sort of comfortable position. Rooting for you- here are some truffles! Hmmmmm, truffffflllles!
wr http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif

Old 03-31-2003, 12:21 PM   #7
joprud
Inactive

joprud HB User
Poor Sandra, I'm so sorry your havin' a rough go of it! I truly hope the throat pain subsides real soon.

Good vibes heading your way! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif

Prayers already sent!

Looking forward to your next post!

Take Care,
Joanne

------------------
  • Sept‘63,fall on back on stairs,compression fractures of T6 and T8
  • 1993 X-ray Diagnosed DDD
  • Nov,2002 MRI C4-C5 posterior osteophytic bar effacing ventral thecal sac, stenosis of neural foramina.C5-C6 posterior disc protrusion effacing VTS. Stenosis of neural foramina.C6-C7 posterior disc herniation effacing VTS.stenosis of neural foramina.C7-T1perineural cysts in both neural foramina.left convex scoliosis mid thoracic spine.wedging of T7. wedging of T5.degen.end plate changes at T8-T9. L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge effacing VTS.hypertrophy of facet joints,central spinal stenosis.L5-S1 posterior disc protrusion with associated tear of annulus fibrosis. hypertrophy of facet joints.S1-S2 Perineural cysts involving S1-S2 nerve roots.
  • So far have tried: meds,physio,accupuncture all to no avail.

Old 03-31-2003, 01:15 PM   #8
BABS42
(female)

BABS42 HB User
Smile

Hi Sandra,

I am sorry to hear your having such a difficult time after the surgery. I also think a choking type feeling is much worse than pain. Its just scary, even though they say its part of the recovery process. I will say a prayer that it stops soon. I wish I lost 10 pounds LOL I really do hope you feel better soon. Hang in there!!!!! Babs
2 types of Neuropathy on upper R-with some nerve damage. Nerve damage more severe on upper L.

Arachnoid Brain Cyst- Posterior Fossa

Old 03-31-2003, 04:28 PM   #9
BDW2

BDW2 HB User
Just saw your post Sandra I will pray for you. Try Italian Ice,and chicken and rice soupif you can. I know what you mean about the throat, I don't like it either. My NS offered me posterior, makes me wonder.

Old 03-31-2003, 05:18 PM   #10
winged phantom
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
BDW,
You don't want posterior unless that is the only way to do what needs to be done. The recovery is much more painful, because they have to go through all those neck muscles that hold up that big, heavy bowling ball on your neck. Hopefully, the sore throat will not last too very long. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif
wr

Old 03-31-2003, 06:38 PM   #11
halina
Inactive

halina HB User
Hi, Sandra
we have the same swallowing pain. Doc told me that it takes couple of days. Meantime I take oxycontin (he told me not to used to it), Percocet and also hope that next day brings less pain. On Wednesday I will be 1 week post-op. This is not easy but try to be stronger.
Halina

Old 03-31-2003, 09:59 PM   #12
PsychLea
Veteran
(female)

PsychLea HB User
Sandra,

Bless your heart sweetie

I had surgery 2 years ago on my esophagus and went through the same thing. The swelling will go down and you will be able to eat soon. Get as much rest as you can and take one day at a time.

You may not see the little steps of progress at first, but they are there.

Prayed for you.

------------------
God bless,

Lea

Lea

Old 04-01-2003, 03:17 AM   #13
BWL
Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
Hi Sandra,

I'm so happy to see you posting.

Well the worst, believe it or not, is behind you. I'm sorry your initial recovery is being difficult, but it will get better. My throt was a problem for a couple of weeks and took a little longer to be 100%, but relative to my presurgical state it was a breeze.

Rest well, try and sleep.

Bruce

------------------
ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 04-16-2003, 10:25 PM   #14
em200001

em200001 HB User
Thumbs up

Hi Sandra. I don't know if you remember me. You replied to my message a few weeks ago. I am sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with your throat, I hope it heals soon. I also hope that all your other ailments get taken care of and that your road to recovery becomes a pleasurable one. Take care and feel better.

Closed Thread