It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Ticking or squeezing sounds in my neck!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2003, 09:00 AM   #1
    calico angel

calico angel HB User
    Red face Ticking or squeezing sounds in my neck!!!

Mostly when I lay down I have this strange sound like liquid is being sqeezed through a tube, but in my neck. The second neuro I saw said it was abosolutely not related to the discs. The third said it could be, but was not too concerned. Has ANYONE else had anything that sounds close to this? It's really weird and scary (although it happens every day) and I wish someone else besides me could hear it! I think it's spinal fluid that is sqeezing by my discs. There is some disc material in that space.
    I think I'm strange that way-when I was pregnant with my son I could hear his heartbeat if I laid on my right side. I would even take my husband's and my pulse to see if the heartbeat matched, but it was too fast.
    Disc herniations C5-6 & C6-7
    DDD diagnosed 2002
    Surgery scheduled for 6-25-03

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2003, 04:39 PM   #2
    KeithEugeneW
    Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
    Now that's a strange one. The closest I can come to that is just before my right ear plugs up I hear a sound similar to that behind my ear and then intense ringing. It comes on in a manner of a couple of seconds and without warning. If I put the phone to my right ear when that happens, the person on the other end sounds like the school teacher on Charlie Brown. Yeah, I know, my wife thinks I'm a bit nuts too...

Old 04-14-2003, 04:41 PM   #3
    mothmin

mothmin HB User
    yep I have that too, and been trying to explain it for over a year

Old 04-14-2003, 10:49 PM   #4
    calico angel

calico angel HB User
    Keith, that sounds like tinnitus. A ringing in your ear? I have it all of the time, but I think I got it from too many loud concerts and actually damaged my hearing. My husband used to operate machinery and wouldn't wear ear plugs and his hearing is better than mine!
    Mothmin-You have the squeezing sound or the ringing? And you have had surgery, right?
    DDD diagnosed 2002

Old 04-15-2003, 08:20 AM   #5
    mothmin

mothmin HB User
    Red face

yep, calico, I had c-7 fusion on dec. 13th, I'm almost back to normal now, but after an especially heavy day at work, I got the " bubbling sound in my neck" you're the only other person I've heard of with it... and I talked to hundreds, so it must be rare. what does your mri show? my cord was completly bent! so I also thought the sound was fluid squeezing by. th dr.s seem skeptical, but why would I lie? I only hear it now while my head is on the pillow. good luck.

Old 04-15-2003, 09:10 AM   #6
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi CA,
    I get ringing in my ear and I think it's related to the neck spasm/headache from the disc problems. I do get cracking sounds and have occasionally got an odd squish sound if I move my neck quickly. I think it could be disc related and affecting the joints/ muscles and overall mobility and instability it sets up. Do you also get the cracking/popping sounds?
    Mel

Old 04-15-2003, 09:38 AM   #7
    KeithEugeneW
    Veteran

KeithEugeneW HB User
    You are right, I have tinitis all the time, but when that sudden rushing sound then plugging up of my ear happens, the ringing sound goes way up in volume. It's kind of like when you have your ear full of water in the swimming pool or shower, except your hearing is even more degraded. Kinda weird. Usually it comes on suddently right after I turn my head one way or the other. What a complex thing the human body is.

Old 04-15-2003, 09:57 PM   #8
    calico angel

calico angel HB User
    Mothmin-The MRI report just talks about how the discs are bulging, 6mm protusion, blah, blah, blah. Nothing that unusual. Am I just really in tune with my body or supersensitized? The discs are into the fluid space and that is the only thing I can imagine that the noises are. You have had all of this after your surgery or before also?

Mel-I do have cracking and popping, but not as frequently as I used to. There was a point where my neck ws changing rapidly-I was in a car with a coworker and she hit a curb-not hard but head on parking her gigantic Suburban(somepeople should not drive them-scary). That made it worse, people hugging me hard made it worse and then, if you can believe this, a lady at work actually shook my shoulders making my head jerk back and forth(joking-ha, ha). She has no clue that I am in pain 24/7 because I am not with her throughout the day. Really nobody knows the pain we go through and it's impossible to explain to anyone who has not experienced it. I'm so thankful I found this site!
    But, it was popping quite a bit then. I try to keep my distance and even going to church or meeting new people is scary for me because they want to hug. It's nice, but how do you stop them? It happens so fast and I am in so much pain. All can think of is how the discs are pressing on my cord and I want to scream!
    Kelley

[This message has been edited by calico angel (edited 04-16-2003).]
    DDD diagnosed 2002

Old 04-18-2003, 08:21 AM   #9
    Carla Sue

Carla Sue HB User
    Unhappy

I have been trying to figure out how to put this into words, and I am so glad to hear I am not alone/OR crazy!

I have been having this "fizzle" sound in my throat.
    EXCEPT it doesnt feel like it is in my throat, MORE LIKE UNDER IT.
    I have a titanium plate, and have ALWAYS thought,since it started,that the "fizzle" sound was coming from under the plate.
    I am glad to hear other people experience this also, BUT not glad to hear doctors dont know what it is.

I have tried to get my husband to hear it with no luck.

I hate that sound!!!!!

Good luck all

Carla Sue
    ACDF Titanium plate and donor bone c6-7
    November 30 2001

Old 04-18-2003, 08:54 AM   #10
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi Kelley,

I am always cautious of my neck when my husband hugs me or goes near the area. I am supercareful with it. Its like an instinctual protective thing. Are you considering surgery or injections? I have disc bulges and torn discs and I am always hearing those popping etc noises. I don't thing it's anything to be too alarmed about as it's usually related to the structural changes from muscles, joints and ligaments trying to accomodate the injury. I would get it checked and have more tests if your worried. Take care,
    Mel

Old 04-18-2003, 11:54 AM   #11
    calico angel

calico angel HB User
    HI Mel,
    I've scheduled my surgery for the end of June. I have herniations at c5-6 and c6-7. He's going to do an ACF at both of those levels.
    I expressed concern about the noises and the drs aren't really phased by it. I think if my hair was on fire some wouldn't even bat an eyelash! One said it's vasular(I don't think so) and the ns who's doing my fusion says it could be. But they are not worried about it.
    It's hard when it's something that's going on in our body and can't explain the magnitude it has. I'm such a worrier.
    Thanks,
    Kelley

------------------
    Kelley
    Symptoms dating back to 1986?
    Rear-ended 1999
    DDD diagnosed 2002
    DDD diagnosed 2002

Old 04-18-2003, 12:06 PM   #12
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    My sound was alway more like a gurgle, coming up from somewhere in my throat. I actually think it feels like it's coming from my stomach...
    Debbie

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Old 04-18-2003, 12:27 PM   #13
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    Good for you Kelley. I'm glad your getting everything fixed Missed that somehow the first read through...sorry!
    Wish they did have answers for all our questions, most times, in the big picture... they don't deem them important.
    Good luck and God Bless,
    Debbie
    P.S. You can join our worry wart club, so far Joanne and I are top of the list...

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Old 04-19-2003, 05:22 PM   #14
    calico angel

calico angel HB User
    I think I am probably a runner-up for the worry wart club. It has taken me 4 years to schedule the surgery. I probably could have done away w/pain if I had done it sooner, but I am glad that I waited to search for a dr I trust. He is at Scripps LaJolla at UCSD.
    When I go to the dr my neck and chest turn this horridly bright shade of pink. The dr asked what kind of rash it was. It's not a rash, just flush with anxiety. He also couldn't believe all of my questions. To me, that's being informed. My hubby & I joke about how ignorant people live longer because they are so out-of-it.
    I really worry about lots of stuff and I was at one point on Prozac due to my anxiety attacks. My first one happened on a plane after my grandmother's funeral and cleaning out 40 years worth of "grandma stuff" in 5 days. I HATE flying and the plane is taking off and all of this "smoke" is coming into the fuesloge(sp). It's really condensation because of the humididty in the South. The rest of the flight is not good, neither is the landing.
    Then I get rear-ended on my birthday three days later. Here comes the funny, but pathetic part. I'm in a drive-through at McD's and this idiot behind me in a big van is in the back of it looking for money. His DOG, yes dog, puts the car out of gear and the van surges forward and hits me.
    Anyhow, that's how part of my diagnosis is made. The guy (sorry, dog) wasn't going fast enough to give me whiplash, hence the DDD diagnosis. I was a gymnast for many years and not good to my neck in my every day life.
    Sorry for going on and on! I'm just so happy to find people to talk about our necks with!

------------------
    Kelley
    Symptoms dating back to 1986?
    Rear-ended 1999
    DDD diagnosed 2002

[This message has been edited by calico angel (edited 04-19-2003).]
    DDD diagnosed 2002

Closed Thread