It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Question about dentist appt and antibiotics???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2003, 01:26 AM   #1
    Lindaanne
    (female)

Lindaanne HB User
    Post Question about dentist appt and antibiotics???

I had an ACDF August 19 2002. Disectomy 6&7 donor bone, plate 6 screws. I guess you'd call it the works! Anyways I've gone to the dentist and I have to get a crown on my back molar. No root canal. I put on the admission info form I had herniated discs with surgery. He gives me the 2 shots and is going to prep the tooth. He asks me about the half round travel tempur pedic pillow I have under my neck. I told him what I had done to my neck and he got kind of horrified. He told me that for 4 years after that kind of surgery you had to take a 4 pill dose of an antibiotic 1 hour before your dental appt. He told me the neck hardware can harbor bacteria from teeth work even cleanings! He said the titanium plate is like a magnet for the bacteria. Also the chance of an infection there is 2%. I read that once before on here. Has anyone else ever heard this? Even thought we fill out those paperwork info sheets nowadays dentist do work jumping form room to room. Now I have a cold so I cancelled my appt this week. I am a bit uneasy about taking 600 mg of Clindamyacin at once and then driving to the appt. Anyone ever hear of this??? If not people have to mention this to their dentists. It is extremely important. Just wanted to know peoples thoughts on this. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2003, 03:59 AM   #2
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    Been there done that... it cannot hurt to take the antibiotic. You may want to do a search of this subject, we talked about it a while back. Lindanne, my dentist say that they do that to all patients with this type of surgery.
    Debbie

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Old 04-24-2003, 04:00 AM   #3
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi Linda Anne,

I was told the exact same thing last month by my dentist after going in to have a filling fixed (a little piece broke).

I have cages, rods, and screws in my lumbar area since surgery in December.

He told me about a dentist that was sued by a patients family that died of an infection after a procedure (not my dentist)

I was told if there was an infection, that it would go directly to the site of the metal, because it is a foreign object in the body.

Certain procedures do require the antibiotics to be taken in advance, although he called my doc while I was sitting in the chair, and I didn't need the antibiotic for what I was seeing him for.

I had never heard of such a thing until I had seen him, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck on the appointment http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif

Take Care,
    Baxter http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

------------------
    Two level laminectomy fusion L5-S1 & L2-3 done on 12/6/02.
    Fifteen inch scar from the very top of butt crack (sorry), to the bra line.
    BAK cages, rods & screws.(Titanium)
    My pelvic bone was used for grafting.
    Praying that the other two discs in between, won't have to be fused later, as I was told it was a possibility, due to the other two discs in between, not being in that great of shape.
    Doc didn't want to fuse four levels, unless it is really necessary.
    I would hate to repeat the surgery, as the recovery period, is so very painful.
    I also have a free fragment in my T11-12 area, that I'm still refusing surgery for, at this point in time.
    That surgery is way too dangerous for me to consider, until if affects my being able to walk.

Old 04-24-2003, 04:48 PM   #4
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Hi Guys,

It is called prohylaxis and in this case is the taking of antibiotics prior to certain procedures to reduce the risk of very serious heart infection. I have mitral valve prolapse (floppy heart valve) and am supposed to medicate for the same reason. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't

During a dental cleaning bacteria can get into your blood stream and cause this heart infection or "supposedly" in our cases an infection related to the plate. I have a letter on file with my dentist saying it's not his fault if I die since I don't always do as I should. Since surgery though, I will and you guys should too!!

Be well,
    b

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 04-24-2003).]

Old 04-24-2003, 06:03 PM   #5
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi B,

Good idea, I signed one for my dentist on the visit I mentioned.

Have a super evening

Baxter http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

------------------
    Two level laminectomy fusion L5-S1 & L2-3 done on 12/6/02.
    Fifteen inch scar from the very top of butt crack (sorry), to the bra line.
    BAK cages, rods & screws.(Titanium)
    My pelvic bone was used for grafting.
    Praying that the other two discs in between, won't have to be fused later, as I was told it was a possibility, due to the other two discs in between, not being in that great of shape.
    Doc didn't want to fuse four levels, unless it is really necessary.
    I would hate to repeat the surgery, as the recovery period, is so very painful.
    I also have a free fragment in my T11-12 area, that I'm still refusing surgery for, at this point in time.
    That surgery is way too dangerous for me to consider, until if affects my being able to walk.

Old 04-24-2003, 06:17 PM   #6
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    Baxter,

Cool scar.

Bruce

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Closed Thread