It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI not show Chiari Malformation?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
    pjkdz2007
    (female)

pjkdz2007 HB User
    MRI not show Chiari Malformation?

I had an MRI done by an ENT 6 mos ago to look for "major" problems that were all ruled out. I have been suffering with lengthy episodes over the last 11 years that look like this in a nut shell:

-start with severe neck pain at base of skull
    -nearly constant headaches that are sometimes migraine like
    -serious physical activity can worsen the above two mentioned
    -heat sensitivity
    -dizziness and what I call "bouncy vision"
    -unsteadiness and imbalance that lasts for months
    -trouble swallowing at times
    -tingling/numbness in my legs and feet
    -difficulty speaking or slurring my speech at onset of episode or when I have bad neck ache/head aches

My question is...is it possible that they could have overlooked Chiari Malformation when looking at my MRI or possible that the type/quality of MRI they performed would not show the signs of Chiari Malformation?

Thanks for your help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: MRI not show Chiari Malformation?

I suppose anything is possible. You should ask them.

Given your symptoms, though, I would think they'd go out of their way to look for Chiari.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
    pjkdz2007
    (female)

pjkdz2007 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
    I suppose anything is possible. You should ask them.

Given your symptoms, though, I would think they'd go out of their way to look for Chiari.
    My Neuro saw me today and states my "brain sits very low, but with the MRI that was done previously by another facility he does not think it is Chiari, though he recommends a second opinion and perhaps a better side view MRI". Very odd and frustrating response to me, but I see another neuro next week and hope to get somewhere from there.

Any advice on what to ask for specifically?

Jen

Old 10-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

No advice. Sounds like your docs are on the case....

Old 10-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi pjd, Hi, im so sorry that you have felt so bad & while no one wants to have Chiara malformation, it is important to know. When you say neuro do you mean neurosurgeon or neurologist? There are MRI machines that have higher resolutions, newer machines that are more state of the art & i dont know if its advantageous to have a sitting vs a lying down MRI but some drs think open MRI's dont produce the clearest films. I would ask the facility about their machine & ask the dr, too. I hope you get a good report!

Old 10-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
    ebb553
    (female)

ebb553 HB User

I do have C1M but I've also had spinal leaks - no one seems to know if they are independent of one another or not. However, I had severe headaches and balance problems which you mention...I had a lumbar puncture and then a myelogram which showed the leaks..they were patched up and the headaches and dizziness went away very quickly - the leaks cause brain/spinal fluid pressure problems, thus the headaches and dizziness. I will say that the protruding "tonsils" of the cerebellum are super easy to see on a sagittal MRI view - at least on mine. Can't make heads or tails out of much else, but that little bugger is hard to miss

Closed Thread

Tags
    brain and nervous system, chiari malformation