It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Decompression in Cervical Spine

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
teddybearhugs
(female)

teddybearhugs HB User
Decompression in Cervical Spine

I am in shock at the moment.

Cutting a long story, very short. I was first diagnosed with neck problems back in 2007. A scan in 2010, showed bulging discs, diseased discs, and a torn tendon in my left shoulder.

My shoulder was repaired in 2011.

I was then seen again by Neuro's in 2012, regarding my neck. I was given a nerve root injection that didn't work. After months of waiting, was seen again, and it was suggested that a new MRI scan would be a good idea.
I had a lot of neck and shoulder pain, pain in my arms, was suffering dizziness etc...and was hopeful, that after the new scan, I would get some help.
I was given an appointment for 13 months later (the scan was done in June 2012 and the appointment to get the results of this scan, was for 12th July 2013#. With 3 letters from my GP and one from my Husband, my appointment was brought forward to October 2013.

I was seen by a Consultant, who was nothing but rude, didn't seem to understand the images he was looking at, and basically made me feel like all the pain and symptoms I was feeling were in my head. He refused to accept the shoulder pain could be connected to my neck, and even told me to maybe go back to the surgeon who had repaired my shoulder, and see if he could look at sorting it out.

I did see another Doctor a few months later, who sent me for some physio, that was of no help to me at all, and they sold me a tens machine, and told me to use that for the pain together with my meds, and phone them if things were no better.

I was reluctant to go back and see my GP, when things just started getting worse, I started getting bad pain in my left forearm, walking on uneven ground was and has become very difficult, I fall/trip a lot... I am also constantly dropping things, and suffer with lots of numbness and pins and needles in my hands, as well as a lot of twitching in my legs and fingers, and thumbs.
Anyway, I did decide to go back, and she referred me back to the Neuro team.. This was in May 2013, they sent me an appointment for July 2014...
My Gp, said I couldn't wait that long, and had to contact them twice, before I got a call last week, saying they would see me this Tuesday.

I was seen, by a lovely Consultant, who did nothing but apologise to me, he asked me several questions and then he showed me my scan results, from 2010 and 2012.
#The very scans that the Consultant I saw last year had, and was referring to, when he made me feel the symptoms were in my head etc).

He said the scan in 2012 was worse than the one in 2010, he then went on to show me the images and explain them, one of the bulging discs is compressing the spinal chord, and there are bone spurs growing and quite a bit of narrowing.
He told me, from these scans, I need to have a decompression op, and have been put on the list for that.
But in the meantime, he also wants another MRI, done, as the latest one they have is now 16 months old, so they need to see what is happening with the 2 other discs that are bulging but at that point weren't touching the spinal chord and also see what the bone spurs are doing.

I am in shock, because really this surgery should have been scheduled last October, when I was seen... I am clearly hoping that nothing more shows up on the new MRI scan.

Has anyone else had a decompression done. I have the basics, of what is gonna be done, but am more concerned, about the recovery and what to expect, whether I will have lots of restrictions etc.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
WebDozer
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Decompression in Cervical Spine

I've had a laminoplasty, which is what I hope they mean by "decompression". I hope they don't mean "laminectomy", which is the old-fashioned form of decompression. A lot depends on the skill of the surgeon and some depends on the levels done.

Closed Thread