It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Numbness/tingling hands after spinal surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
    ONESTICK
    (male)

ONESTICK HB User
    Angry Numbness/tingling hands after spinal surgery

Had surgery 14 months ago and all my Doctor tells me is MRI's look good. Had tests on both arms and was told it was Carpel Tunnel in both arms. Told the one giving tests that that is not right as I had full use of hands before surgery, My wife has Carpel Tunnel and has suffered pain and it was a progressive thing not instant numbness. Something happened during surgery I guess as this was not present when I went into surgery. Just don't know what to expect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Numbness/tingling hands after spinal surgery

You mean you have the same tingling in BOTH hands? Any particular digits? Does the feeling change with changes of position to elbows or wrists?

Any other new symptoms?

Specifically, what surgery did you have?

Old 10-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
    ONESTICK
    (male)

ONESTICK HB User

Both hands tingle and that covers all digits. Unable to type now as my left hand fingers do not lay on the keys properly. Have to type with just two fingers.

Doesn't matter how I hold my hands they have been asleep since waking from my surgery. This surgery was for stenosis of the spine in the area of C3-C5. Lower back surgery gave me strength back into my legs so I could stand up easier.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

If you had exactly the "right" kind of impingement on your cord, I suppose it might have this effect. Thing is, it should have other quite noticeable symptoms, as well, because cord impingement can affect everything below the level of impingement. That is, something affecting the hands will likely also affect the legs.

In addition, cord impingement, and especially foraminal impingement, is usually lopsided. Making foraminal impingement even less likely is that all digits are affected. That would require impingement at all three levels from C5-6 to C7-T1.

I can't fault docs for thinking your problem is carpal tunnel. Why it would start up immediately following surgery is very much a mystery, though...

Last edited by WebDozer; 10-19-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
    ONESTICK
    (male)

ONESTICK HB User

The numbness/tingling when I woke up from surgery surprised me also. The Dr that read the last two MRI's states possibly an area of chronic myelomalacia. (I DID NOT LIKE THIS WORDS DEFINITION) Time will tell where I go from here.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

As far as I know, ALL myelomalacia is "chronic", so that's a bit redundant.

I just don't see how cord damage could cause the PARTICULAR symptoms you're describing.

As I said, though, I don't see how this could happen immediately upon surgery.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

I had an ACDF & a PCDF done back in April of this year... I too have noticed tingling & such in my hands & other areas.
    I am just stating this because I notice it more when I wake. Do you think that it may be because of the way you the position of your neck by chance?
    Or do you think you still might have a nerve being impinged?

Or could be that your spinal cord had been compressed for so long that when the surgery was performed that could have been the result of being impeded for so long.

I am just asking these questions because from what I have read & been told that the spinal cord nerves could take up to a year if ever to heal themselves.

I had a finger cut at the 1st joint by sheet metal back in the early 90's. It was always like a tingling/dead nerve after that time. It was about 2011 when finally the nerves seemed to have healed themselves & the feeling came back(Well as much as it could have with my cervical problems).

Old 02-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

CT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roadiez View Post
    I had an ACDF & a PCDF done back in April of this year... I too have noticed tingling & such in my hands & other areas.
    I am just stating this because I notice it more when I wake. Do you think that it may be because of the way you the position of your neck by chance?
    Or do you think you still might have a nerve being impinged?

Or could be that your spinal cord had been compressed for so long that when the surgery was performed that could have been the result of being impeded for so long.

I am just asking these questions because from what I have read & been told that the spinal cord nerves could take up to a year if ever to heal themselves.

I had a finger cut at the 1st joint by sheet metal back in the early 90's. It was always like a tingling/dead nerve after that time. It was about 2011 when finally the nerves seemed to have healed themselves & the feeling came back(Well as much as it could have with my cervical problems).
    I had lumbar surgery (laminectomy, foraminotomy, facetotomy, etc. to remove a synovial cyst) 9 months ago. I still wake up with tingling in my toes many days. I notice it most often when lying down. I've seen others mention the same thing on the back surgery board. I think it's a typical nerve reaction to swelling, or the nerve being moved, or post-surgical inflammation. My toes did not feel a thing before surgery; the pain was on the outside of my ankle. That is now gone.

Closed Thread