It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 2 wk. post-op visit: cleared for driving!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2003, 11:48 AM   #1
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Post 2 wk. post-op visit: cleared for driving!

Ha ha ha ha! I could not believe the nurse said that, but I guess some people have no choice but to drive. I also hear that my doctor doesn't usually prescribe neck braces (I'm an exception), so I'm sure that part about the driving was just part of the general spiel. That said, I'm really not supposed to drive if I don't have to.

Otherwise, my steristrips came off; I have a big lump on my neck like a pupating caterpillar; I get an X-ray done a week before my 6 wks. visit; and I have a big Rx for percocet. I can wear my soft collar as long as I'm doing "nothing" and the hard one when I go out or get more active. I'm right on track!
    wr

------------------
    • 12/29/89 C5-6 Microdiskectomy (no fusion)
    • 4/9/03 ACDF C4-7 with plating and donor bone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2003, 12:51 PM   #2
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    Well if that just aint the best news I've read in a while... what a great check up. Percoset? Still have pain. I came home with tylenol3 and used them for one day. Several levels must make a huge difference. Hope your not in too much pain.
    Thanks for the great news... happy day to yoU!
    Debbie

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Old 04-21-2003, 08:42 PM   #3
    joprud
    Inactive

joprud HB User
    Hey Wing,

Sounds like you're doing just great... ... okay maybe not that great...Tee hee... I really am thrilled that you're bouncing back so well. I can see by your posts that you are in fine spirits...always a joy to read. Keep up the good work.

Phewwww...One less to worry about...you guys are killin me

Talk to ya soon,
    Joanne

Old 04-21-2003, 09:11 PM   #4
    PsychLea
    Veteran
    (female)

PsychLea HB User
    WR,

That caterpillar will become a butterfly in no time.

I'll alert the State patrol that you have been unleashed on the public roads.

------------------
    God bless,

Lea

C4-5 noncompressive disc displacement
    C5-6 compressive disc displacement
    C6-7 broad based disc protrusion encroaching on the anterioposterior aspect of the spinal canal.
    DDD

Lea

Old 04-21-2003, 09:19 PM   #5
    joprud
    Inactive

joprud HB User
    Tee hee...good one Lea!

ME

Old 04-21-2003, 11:59 PM   #6
    franjo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

franjo HB User
    Hey Wing,

Great news! One more piece of your life to put neatly back into place. Just knowing you can drive if you want has to be a spirit booster. I think it rates right up there with having all tubes removed from your body post-op. Enjoy your recovery....and drive safe.

~Teri
    Spina-bifida occulta; Congenital Scoliosis (dextrorotatory and 'S' curve, 42 thorasic and 57 degrees lumbar); Meningomyelocele (split cord @ L1); Diastematomyelia (re-sectioned at L2-3); tethered cord @ S-3; cysts on cord; various developmental abnormalities of the spine: narrowing of all disk spaces, defects in posterior arches, ectasia of the spinal canal and dura, segmental disease, sclerosis in L. iliac bone and adjacent sacroiliac joint, unilateral osteitis condensans ilium, hypertrophic facet disease L4-5 and L5-S1.

Surgeries include, but not limited to:
    Lumbar fusion-1968
    Fusion with Herrington Rod instrumentation-1970
    Femoral osteotomy-1971
    Tethered cord release-1987
    Rod removal-1987
    Chiari-type pelvic osteotomy-1988
    Trochanteric osteotomy-1989
    Tethered cord release-2003
    Fusion with instrumentation with lots and lots of screws-2003

Old 04-22-2003, 03:59 PM   #7
    jbell95

jbell95 HB User
    varoom...... http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/jester.gif

C3-C6 straightening of normal cervical curvature.
    C2-T1 mild central spondylosis without significant stenosis.
    C3-C4 broad-based spondylosis and bulging with mild to moderate flattening of the anterior epidural space.
    C4-C5 broad-based spondylosis and bulging eccentric to the left with mild to moderate compression upon the anterior epidural space.
    C5-C6 spondylosis with a broad-based protrusion with moderate compression of the anterior epidural space.
    C6-C7 mild central spondylosis and a small midline protrusion with minimal flattening of the anterior epidural space.

03/28/03 Myelogram/CT.

04/02/03 Lumbar MRI:
    bulging disc L4-L5, DDD.

04/24/03 Brain MRI.

05/16/03 Nerve Conduction Studies.

Old 04-22-2003, 04:23 PM   #8
    charlotte1

charlotte1 HB User
    Congratulations! You are definatley on the road to recovery. Are you still in much pain?
    charlotte

Old 04-22-2003, 06:19 PM   #9
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    wr-

"Pupating caterpillar" well done!

I'm thrilled to hear you're doing so well. Driving again was a big step for me. Not that I need to all that much, but it was an emotional boost.

All the good ones are taken, like "road to recovery" so I will just wish you well.

Bruce

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

Old 04-23-2003, 07:25 AM   #10
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    I guess knowing I could drive is ok, although I'll assure you that I won't be driving for some time to come. I almost asked the nurse if it was legal to drive in a hard collar but didn't.

This AM officially marks my two week anniversary, and I am, indeed, able to go out for a while; something I did not believe when the NS told me I would be able to do. But I'm far from being "normal", although I like to think I can "feel" its presence lurking in my body. I'm coming to realize that being on the computer for many hours a day is not good for me, so I will have to curb my impulses a bit! I hate that!!!!! And the incision is so ITCHY!!!! It's driving me crazy! And with the swelling, I can just "feel it there", sitting on and in my neck. Yucko!

The past three nights I have spent in my bed, with my down pillow and no collar, but I wake up with my muscles screaming. So it's cyclobenzaprine (Flexiril) time. And I've been taking a half Percoset a few times a day, as I've still been very stiff and achy. Then I feel guilty and wonder if I should be on all these meds, especially all the ones with Tylenol in them (I've taken a LOT of Tylenol over the years, and perhaps I should start to be worried?). I don't know what is "normal" for this stage of the game, but then I remind myself that my "normal" will never be 100%, then I get more depressed. I think the mornings, particularly, will be a definite challenge for me for the next few weeks and months!

Some of these feelings and worries come from my wanderings to where there are a lot of people in much worse shape than most of us here; a much much bigger place where pages go by in a blur! It makes me very thankful for what I have but worried for what might yet come; you know, as we've pointed out before, a little bit of information is sometimes very scary! Because of all the swelling, I find myself worried about what I imagine to be huge amounts of scar tissue forming around my esophagus and/or nerves in my neck, because I already know that adhesions and scar tissue are problematic for me. I worry about when (not a whether; I know it will be a when) I will need more surgery and whether technologies will have improved dramatically by then. And I don't know for sure yet whether this surgery has really helped me. I guess it's really early in the game, and as Bruce pointed out, this was "really big surgery" so I should not rush it. So I guess I don't really need too much "neurology support" yet; I should not get myself into a tizzy about "nothing yet proven". Like I said, things seem blackest for me in the mornings, I guess, until I get some relief. (yeah, yeah, but then there are all those meds... yada, yada, yada; )

Well enough of my ramblings. It really is not total madness, but I only hope you will believe me.

jbell, you don't think I'm crazy, do you? (Hey, are you telling me the "j" stands for jester?) And mel, how about you?

Debbie, are you saying you are no longer on any meds at all? That's terrific! Don't ever take that for granted.

"Mama Joanne", thanks for the encouragement!

Lea, you can cancel that APB on me! That's a good one. Instead of a butterfly, I think I'm hatching a horse with wings!

Teri and Bruce, you know I always enjoy reading your posts...

------------------
    • 12/29/89 C5-6 Microdiskectomy (no fusion)
    • 4/9/03 ACDF C4-7 with plating and donor bone

[This message has been edited by winged phantom (edited 04-23-2003).]

Old 04-23-2003, 07:49 AM   #11
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    Hey wr,
    I didn't drive for six weeks, and no you should not drive in any collar. Should you have an accident, the other person has a clear case of it being "your fault" for driving without full access to view. So, take you time and don't risk driving til the collar is long gone.
    I'm off all meds? Do you mean for my neck? I was never on meds after surgery. Had Tylenol three for a couple of days and went to regular over the counter Tylenol. But I did not have much to recover from. My onset of problems to surgery was a small amount of time....
    Med for Lupus, I will take for the rest of my life. I am not in need of a steroid regimen, which is what I feared.
    So, you hang in there and keep us posted... you notes are so great. You right about others out there in such worse shape, I frequent another site similar...
    Chronic pain issues. Yikes, you all are doing great here...
    Debbie

Old 04-23-2003, 07:52 AM   #12
    jbell95

jbell95 HB User
    WR, no dearheart, I don't think you are crazy, I think that I am the only crazy one on these boards. I am seeing three different doctors, and they all say "Gee, I don't know what's going on with you, blah, blah, blah, but it wasn't caused by your work injury."

I am so worried, scared at times, other times I just cry for a bit. I am trying to maintain my sense of humor http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/jester.gif and a positive attitude...it's just the unknown and the uncertainity that get to me at times.

I've been out of work since March. Only one of my coworkers calls regularly to check on me. My supervisor calls only to see when I'll be returning to work. I have gone in on my days off and have worked countless extra hours of overtime for this unit and have stayed past my shift on days when staffing was short. Now that I'm injured, you'd think that they could at least send a get well card. I feel like a disposable pen.

The only time that I've had to go to my doctors were for for a bit of arthritis in my feet, to the dermatologist for acne and to my OB/GYN for my yearly girly check ups. I am now having to go for a brain MRI...I'm worried that they'll tell me I have no brain...like the scarecrow.

Well WR, I know you didn't ask me that...I just needed to vent a bit http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

P.S. The "J" stands for Jasmine

Be Blessed All

[This message has been edited by jbell95 (edited 04-23-2003).]

C3-C6 straightening of normal cervical curvature.
    C2-T1 mild central spondylosis without significant stenosis.
    C3-C4 broad-based spondylosis and bulging with mild to moderate flattening of the anterior epidural space.
    C4-C5 broad-based spondylosis and bulging eccentric to the left with mild to moderate compression upon the anterior epidural space.
    C5-C6 spondylosis with a broad-based protrusion with moderate compression of the anterior epidural space.
    C6-C7 mild central spondylosis and a small midline protrusion with minimal flattening of the anterior epidural space.

03/28/03 Myelogram/CT.

04/02/03 Lumbar MRI:
    bulging disc L4-L5, DDD.

04/24/03 Brain MRI.

05/16/03 Nerve Conduction Studies.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:45 AM   #13
    bdb

bdb HB User
    I didn't drive for 6 weeks either. It was actually more like 7-8 weeks as I had to get my head moving before I felt comfortable enough to drive. I thought it was illegal to drive with a neck brace on. I hope you are very careful when you get back behind the wheel.I am amazed your doctor even said you can drive already. Don't force the neck trying to see around you.
    I was still taking tylenol 3 two weeks after my surgery. In fact I am still taking it at night over 2 years after my surgery. Hopefully in time your neck is going to settle down and you won't need anything but I think this is still early in the game for you.

bdb

Old 04-23-2003, 08:13 PM   #14
    Catherine with a C
    Inactive

Catherine with a C HB User
    Hey Ms. Wing,
    Congrats on getting the all clear to drive.

Personally, I am not yet even remotely feeling the desire to attempt the open/crowded roads!
    I am still taking percoset.......& would have 2 wee ones in the back seat. the head turning alone on a good day is enough to injure me!!

Can I ever relate to your morning blues!! or blackness!! I feel that I just need more recovery time. Trying my darndest to "cope" with 2 kids under 5 is not my idea of a good time. it used to be. but, I don't know, i try to remain grateful, i am just not the mommy i used to be.........
    speaking of driving,,,,I do believe I am driving my entire family crazy!!!
    Anybody up for an Autumn cruise somewhere?!!
    I am not willing to pay for everybody......just wondering!!?
    Hope tomorrow finds you feeling better Wing!!
    Stay strong!! touch your incision area, & smile!!
    Catherine

Old 04-29-2003, 05:30 AM   #15
    OFFSHORE
    (female)

OFFSHORE HB User
    Hi WR

So glad to hear things are going good. You had your surgery one day before me. How's your pain? You must be happy that you got the ok to drive. How are you feeling?
    Cindy

Closed Thread