It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Bone spurs on my Cervical spine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2003, 04:24 AM   #1
    Midge130

Midge130 HB User
    Post Bone spurs on my Cervical spine

Hi All,
    I'm new here. About 3 yrs ago I was having weakness in my arms. Saw a neurosurgeon, he did a MRI, said nothing, except that I have cervical stenosis, and sent me to PT. Since then it has progressed to weakness in arms, neck, shoulders, upper back. Pain in neck and left arm/shoulder. Tingling in upper to mid back. Yesterday I saw a different neurosurgeon and within 5 min he thought that I have a bone spur at C4-C5. First we'll do a myelogram to make sure and then surgery.
    1. What are the complications of a myelogram?
    2. What are the complications of the surgery?

Thanks,
    Midge
    -C4-C5 bone spurs causing central canal stenosis. Annular tear.
    -C5-C6 mild narrowing of canal.
    -C6-C7 disc bone spur and annular tear.
    -C7-T1 bone spur and annular tear.
    -No surgery;I'm not bad enough yet!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2003, 12:50 PM   #2
    Nanner
    Veteran
    (female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User
    Hi Midge, welcome to Spineyland! For more than you ever wanted to know about myelograms, just do a search on this board for the word. You'll learn a lot!

One thing you'll discover is that many of us had a myelogram with few complications. The worst for most is a headache, and you can often avoid that by laying down for 24-48 hours and drinking lots of water. This is not to say the procedure is totally pain free...

Please don't concentrate on the complications too much. Both the test and the surgery don't have high rates of major complications. Yes, they can and do occur, but think positive!

------------------
    Nancy D-ACDF C6-7 on 6/7/02. Donor bone with no hardware

Old 04-30-2003, 06:32 PM   #3
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User
    Hi,
    I had a ACDF c5-6-7 in October 2002. After my surgery pain was worse so I switched Surgeons and I was sent for a myelogram. I read several web site to gather information and after reading them was scared out of my skin and totally stressed out up until the actual day of the test. Here it is step by step. Ask the Neuro-radiologist if you can take a mild sedative to calm you down. I was told no on the phone and when I got there I was told I could. So I downed .05mg of Xanax. They take a complete series of x-ray prior to the test. Then they lay you on your stomach flat and numb the area where the dye goes in. You feel a tiny pinch no PAIN.(again NO PAIN) He then inserted the dye and I did not feel a thing. At one point I actually saw the dye going in my spine. I had a great Dr. doing my test. They have to tilt the table so the dye goes to the cervical spine. Only at this point I felt pressure on my lower spine (could be from prevoius laminectomy l4-5 adhesions) and slight pressure in my head. I was told to tell the Dr. if and when I felt a headache, so I did and he asked how bad it was. I told him I could take it cause it really wasnt that bad. Then they tilted me further down and the headache got a little stronger. They worked fast and I told them to hurry up. From the horror stories I have been told I was wating for a super duper headache. The test was then finished and Yes, I did have a nasty headache. They took another set of x-rays. They transported me to the CAT SCAN and did the test. By that time I was so tired, stressed out (over nothing) and My headache was full force. I was then sent to recovery and watched for 2 hours. Within the first hour my headache was completly gone. They gave me lunch and I was driven home by my husband. My lower back gave me more problems than anything else, but I cant blame the test entirely due to my lower back problems. If I had to have this test again I would have no problem with it. Mabey it was due to the sedative, so Ask . I was also told nothing by mouth after midnight but was told I could take my PAIN MEDS!!!! You figure that one. I wish you luck and hope your results are good ones. I now have to have a posterior formainotomy at c6-7 due to fusion site and bone spurs that I never had prior to surgery. Make sure the place that you are having this test is highly qualified. The test cost is $5000.00 not inculding the radiologist fees, hospital fee etc. Total should be around $7500.00. Thank GOD I have insurance. I had the test at Staten Island University Hospital and I would recommend them to anyone seeking a myelogram/cat scan in that area.
    Best of luck to you.

Lori
    LAMINECTOMY L4-5 2001
    ACDF C5-6-7 2002
    POSTERIOR FORAMINOTOMY JUNE (NEXT MONTH UGH) 2003

Old 04-30-2003, 06:33 PM   #4
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User
    Hi,
    Forgot to mention, drink LOTS OF WATER after the test. As for the surgery, everyone is different in means of recovery. My laminectomy was excellent. My ACDF is another story. 2 different surgeries, 2 different surgeons. Get a 2nd opinion.

Lori

[This message has been edited by LORIRAT (edited 04-30-2003).]

Old 05-02-2003, 07:50 AM   #5
    jdjames99

jdjames99 HB User
    Hello Mel--in 1999 I was diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis---in May,2000 I had back surgery to remove 6 large spurs growing inside the last 3 vertebrae of my spinal column.
    I can certainly empathasize with the pains you have..excruciating! screaming! wall-climbing!! to say the least.I wish I could tell you that after surgery your problems will be all gone, but in m y case, damage had been done to the sciatic nerve and I still have chronic pain. They're not so severe now as before, but I can manage them with various types of pain management.
    First I got a Tens Unit , Lidoderm patches, and went into a 2 week stay at a Pain Management /Physical Therapy Hospital. Believe it, it all helps! And of course my doctor prescribe pain pills, but I use them only as a last resort. There is an over-the-counter topical analgesic lotion that helps tremendously too. It comes packaged like a deodorant rub on stick and is so easy to apply -- helps relieve pain for a while. I think that's all most of us want, other than a complete cure, at least SOME relief from pain
    My surgery went very, very well. No complications from that--- mine is the damage done to the sciatic nerve. Since yours is cervical, maybe no nervers are afected. I pray they're not
    By the way, I live in a small town in Texas, am 74 years old, have 3 children and 5 grandchildren. Maybe my age has a lot to do with my problem LOL (laugh out loud)
    I wish all the very best for you wan will be watching the bulletin board for your progress God Bless You!
    msrazz

Old 05-02-2003, 08:14 AM   #6
    jdjames99

jdjames99 HB User
    I forgot to tell you the name of the over-the counter analgesis lotion is ARTH-Rx
    Good luck to you
    msrazz

Old 05-02-2003, 10:11 AM   #7
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Msrazz,
    I hope i just spelled that right. What an inspiring story. Something tells me you are one the strong ones.
    Although i am cervical spine, i have the nerve pain in my right leg, as well as both arms and upper back. The surgeon I saw said, after being left so long , the main goal for my surgery was to prevent further deterioration and paralysis. He would not give me any percentages of return function or lack of pain. He felt that some of the pain would be better, but that much of the damage was permanent.
    How nice to see you here,welcome aboard. YOu have found a truly unique and loving spiney family. Thanks for the advice, will check out the rub. Once again welcome.
    Mel

[This message has been edited by melanie dawn (edited 05-02-2003).]
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Closed Thread