It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Thinking I need a new mattress....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2003, 05:08 PM   #1
    DariusTDog

DariusTDog HB User
    Question Thinking I need a new mattress....

Ever since my ACDF surgery, I have not been comfortable on my bed. I've had a very firm mattress for a long time and I'm thinking its time for something a little softer... maybe even one of those visco-elastic topped mattresses, or at least a pillow-top... I don't know. I've noticed that I sleep much better on the couch with a tall pillow (visco-elastic pillow propped on top of another pillow). I think the softer couch lets my shoulders stay more square and keeps them from rolling in. Anyone else experience this? Anyone have any suggestions on a mattress? ...or any suggestions on how to get comfortable and avoid muscle spasms in the first few months post-op?

Tone

------------------
    ACDF C4-5 w/locking plate and allograft
    3-18-2003

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2003, 05:35 PM   #2
    TropicalFox
    (female)

TropicalFox HB User
    Wink

my friend,

i have SERIOUS issues with sleeping, as described in almost every post i submit...

my bed is also very firm but i'm thinking of getting either one of those air mattresses with individual number settings, or the other foam type that has a memory... whatever they're called!

i have MAJOR problems sleeping... i average 2-3 hours a night between choking on my saliva and waking up because my butt hurts from sleeping sitting up...

i cannot sleep leaning back on pillows because of the saliva or a sudden itch in my throat that makes me cough violently and to top it off, pee on myself because of it! and i can barely sleep in a sitting position because of the butt pain... i have resorted to sitting on a comfy chair with my feet propped up on an ottoman, wrapped up in a light blanket, with a firm pillow behind me... i can lean back a little like this with my feet anchoring me and not letting me slip to the floor because my arms are locked wound up in the blanket and set onto the arms of the chair.
    this happens to me at night, but in the daytime i can usually nap with no problems...

i know all the programs that come on the digital line-up with all 265 of them not counting for squat because of constantly nodding off and waking up choking...

but despite this pain in the butt (LITERALLY!) situation, i am still grateful to God that i survived this ordeal (surgery) with no permanent damage.

i held my baby granddaughter in my lap on sunday and i was able to really feel her, with no fear of dropping her... i was unable to do that since she was born in october...

i was unable to do so many things! but now i can, so i am happy that i can't sleep because it means that i can feel again! if this temporary state of being is my price to pay for being able to caress my loved ones again, i'd do it again in a heartbeat!

HALLELUJAH!

hugs http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif

sandra

------------------
    " In the middle of every ocean of difficulty is an island of opportunity."
    Author Unknown

Old 04-29-2003, 06:32 PM   #3
    Renee016

Renee016 HB User
    My goodness, I thought I had trouble sleeping! I'm a side sleeper so I get the numbness in my pelvis area with lower back pain and neck pain. Plus I have allergies with the post-nasal drip and scratchy throat that keeps me up.
    I recently bought a memory-foam mattress topper for the bed and it does seem to help some. I have not had any significant lower back pain (that I wake up with) since I've been sleeping on it (only a couple of weeks). I still get a little achiness in the neck but I think that has more to do with the pillow (which is also memory foam but I think the wrong shape). It is very comfortable and seems to retain heat, so its warm (which I need it to be to sleep).

It cost about $200 and so far I think its worth it. Give me a few more weeks and I'll let you know more. But it's a lot less than buying a whole new mattress and boxspring, which I could definately use but not afford.
    If anyone decides to buy one, let us know what you think.

Take care and sleep well!
    Renee

------------------
    1982 Fusion surgery for scoliosis with stainless steel Harrington Rod (T5 - L3) using pelvic bone for grafting
    1999 Neck problems began
    2001 Cervical Kyphosis
    2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling, burning and numbness - diagnosed with myelopathy and ACDF recommended.
    2/24/03 One-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy with donor bone and titanium plate (C5-6)

[This message has been edited by Renee016 (edited 04-29-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Renee016 (edited 04-29-2003).]
    2002 Diagnosed with Epstein-Barr (level was 7+) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling, burning and numbness - diagnosed with myelopathy and ACDF recommended.
    2/24/03 One-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy with donor bone and titanium plate (C5-6)
    Post 2/03 - Symptoms returned and worsening. Weakness in my legs is like walking against a 50 mph wind - pain in lower back and all the way down my right leg to the ankle - vertigo, muscle spasms in trunk and legs
    7/03 EEG, BAERS and MRI of brain all normal
    7/03 MRI of lumbar spine showed mild herniated disc (L4/5) with moderate to severe DDD and edema in the endplates. HOLDING OUT FOR ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT!

Old 04-30-2003, 03:17 PM   #4
    BWL
    Senior Veteran

BWL HB User
    I recently purchased a Norwegian mattress made by a company called Ekornes. The mattress model is "Svane" I don't see their mattresses online, but they are excellent. You can look up a dealer and check them out if you like. It is a foam mattress with a firm and soft side. You flip over the side you want. It also has a pillow pad on top. Before surgery I had it on the soft side, but it is more comfortable for me posp-op on its firm side.

It's worth a look

Bruce

------------------
    ACDF with plating and donor bone C6-7 (1/29/03)

[This message has been edited by BWL (edited 04-30-2003).]

[It is always allowed to discuss products by brand name.
    Please do not post commercial websites or business contacts.
    Please read and follow the board posting guidelines. Thank you!]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 04-30-2003).]

Old 05-01-2003, 10:44 AM   #5
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    Darius -

I had a 2 level ACDF 8 months ago. I have a very firm mattress and thought that was the problem. However, it turned out to be my pillows. I went to one of the Healthy Back stores in my local area and bought a small cervical pillow. That thing fits my neck like it was made for it.

Since I also have lumbar problems (ain't it lovely?) I have one of those "hump" that I put under my knees to reduce pressure on the lower back.

jdog

Old 05-01-2003, 11:58 AM   #6
    Debbie2
    Senior Veteran

Debbie2 HB User
    Sandra,
    What in the world does your doctor say. I really am worried you are still choking and don't understand why? Did you have myelopathy related problems? Forgive me I can't remember.
    Well, I hope you all find a way to sleep, it's important to rest well.
    Debbie

------------------
    Debbie2
    ACDF fusion (c5c6) with titanium plate and screws using donor bone -
    September 4, 2002.

Old 05-01-2003, 12:36 PM   #7
    DariusTDog

DariusTDog HB User
    JDog-

Unfortunately, I have used a Temper-pedic style (memory or viscoelastic foam) cervical pillow for about a year now. I love the pillow, but still think the bed may be a bit too firm. I have also noticed that I need a taller pillow now than before the surgery, and I have to prop the memory foam pillow on top of a thin normal pillow to be really comfortable. The good news is that I'm up to about 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night (out of about 8 or 9 hours trying to sleep).

Tone

------------------
    ACDF C4-5 w/locking plate and allograft
    3-18-2003

[This message has been edited by DariusTDog (edited 05-06-2003).]

Old 05-06-2003, 05:03 AM   #8
    nanna02
    (female)

nanna02 HB User
    I can identify with the problem of mattresses and pillows also!
    After 3 Disctectomies within 2 1/2 years , I thought my terrific pain was all from the ops in the spine , and it's only these past 4 weeks I decided to change to my old soft bed , (without my husband " and the rolling together " problem,) and I have had some of the best sleeps I've ever had without pain!!
    (I will have to get a new Soft -Top mattress to keep my husband happy soon tho, he's feeling rather lonely and cold in his bed ..)
    Also , I use a Tri-Pillow with another firmer pillow underneath, but if it slips out during the night, I am in agony pain and shocking Spasms all day !..
    So Mattresses and Pillows are a VERY IMPORTANT PART OF Post - Recovery from operations , !! I can vouch for that !! ..
    Love Belle NZ xxx

------------------
    A Friend!

Closed Thread