It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Cervical Infusion witlh titanium plate Neck-Surgery

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
kim1701
(female)

kim1701 HB User
Cervical Infusion witlh titanium plate Neck-Surgery

My mother had this done five years ago, she is still in a walker - gutter walker they call it over here in New Zealand. She still suffers a lot of pain and numbness but she would like to chat with fellow people who have had this done as we can't find anyone in New Zealand who has. Her neck has five titanium plates in it, she can't drive with out pain and her muscles are very tight around her neck and shoulder. How do I get other people to talk to her, to see that this isn't the end of her life? Any suggestions please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
WebDozer
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Cervical Infusion witlh titanium plate Neck-Surgery

Kim, Those operations are usually called ACDF's (anterior cervical discectomy and fusion) here. I'm not sure exactly what operation would require five plates, though. Maybe a four-level ACDF? Calling it that might attract more attention.

It seems like a very extensive operation. Was it anterior or posterior? If the latter, then a lot of muscle needed to be moved or even cut, which sure doesn't help.

Anyway, there's not much else I can say. Maybe someone else here has experience with such extensive surgery. If your mother has specific symptoms, or has a recent MRI, those might draw comments, as well.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
roadiez
(male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

Five plates in a span of 7-8 discs is a lot.... I would tend to think that a lot of her pain could be from little to no ROM(range of motion). Think about it if she was trying to turn her head & her C1-C2-C3-C4-C5-C6-C7 was totally fused then that would be a huge fight going on there.

I had a 4 level ACDF done & had 2 plates installed. I also had also had a Corpectomy/PCDF (Posterior) done at 5 levels with rods & screws inserted.

Also while researching the surgeons notes prior to the operations I found that on the posterior side there could be a plate attached to the base of the skull & rods & screws attached the bones.

I know I am just throwing some things out there.... You might want to research her Surgeons notes & MRI's to get a better understanding what operations was done.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
oneftforward
(female)

oneftforward HB User

This is my first post so forgive me if I make a mistake, but I wanted to reply to this one. I had a 5 level posterior cervical fusion fixation laminectomy almost 4 years ago. It was a clean up job from a failed fusion 10 years prior and it completely changed my life. I was 41 and a busy mother of 5 and now am left with severe nerve damage, chronic pain and daily migraines. The surgery was a must and saved me from further damage but brought about a halt to my active life style. It's hard to communicate to your loved ones the physical and emotional struggles you go through but finding this board has helped me. Patience and understanding will help your Mother and maybe she can read some stories here on these boards and find some kind of kinship. I know I did.

The following user gives a hug of support to oneftforward:
gmak (10-29-2013)
Closed Thread