It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Dizzy, buzzing, tingling after 3 level ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
    Nzclover
    (female)

Nzclover HB User
    Dizzy, buzzing, tingling after 3 level ACDF

Hi all, I had a 3 level ACDF last Friday, C4/5, C5/6, C6/7. Not the nicest of operations as a lot of you Will be aware.

Anyway, yesterday I was sitting down and suddenly came across all dizzy. My arms and hands then started buzzing, it felt like I had turned into an electric sander. My heart rate went up and I had to really concentrate on my breathing, while totally freaking out about what was happening. My partner called the ambulance and by the time they got here, it had calmed down. I still felt a bit dizzy and sick, but the buzzing had gone. At the time, I thought I was dying...so scared. Has anyone else here had this? All my obs were normal and the paramedic thought I had had a panic attack, but there's no way that buzzing was caused by panic. Would love to hear if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Dizzy, buzzing, tingling after 3 level ACDF

Both arms and hands, more or less equally? Nothing in legs or elsewhere?

Have you tried duplicating the problem? I realize that's something you DON'T WANT to do, but you could try very gingerly changing positions to see if the tingling starts to come on again. After all, if there's any kind of structural problem, it should be duplicatable.....

Old 11-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
    Nzclover
    (female)

Nzclover HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
    Both arms and hands, more or less equally? Nothing in legs or elsewhere?

Have you tried duplicating the problem? I realize that's something you DON'T WANT to do, but you could try very gingerly changing positions to see if the tingling starts to come on again. After all, if there's any kind of structural problem, it should be duplicatable.....
    Thanks for your reply. Even if I could duplicate it I wouldn't, far too scary. Thing is, I was just sitting there when it happened anyway. Hasn't happened since. Am still in a hell of a lot of pain, upper back, neck and down the arm. Arm pain had gone til today, maybe the nerves starting to regenerate? Looking forward to a few weeks from now when I feel at least semi normal again.

It was buzzing on scalp and down both arms, not in my legs.

Last edited by Nzclover; 11-02-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Adding additional info

Old 11-03-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

Yes it is very scary when it happens...

Like "WD" said try to duplicate it. So when you go to your Ortho or Neuro check-ups you can tell them what is going on & can check your X rays a little bit closer in some areas.

I will also say I have experience the same thing several times before & after my surgeries... Can be from your sleep position, watching TV, or looking at the screen on the laptop.

Glad you're doing okay post-op. Keep us updated on what your doc says.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi, I have buzzing intermittently from my spinal nerves being compressed i thought but as it turned out either tizanidine or baclofen was the culprit! Mine wasnt like yours in intensity it was mild to medium but was in low back, chest, face, teeth & when in my chest it made me feel like my heart was beating irregularly. I wasnt post op but i told my dr & even more importantly with your being post op i think you should call & let the surgeon know. I hope it never returns again & you have a good recovery!

Old 11-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Dizzy, buzzing, tingling after 3 level ACDF

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nzclover View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Even if I could duplicate it I wouldn't, far too scary. Thing is, I was just sitting there when it happened anyway. Hasn't happened since. Am still in a hell of a lot of pain, upper back, neck and down the arm. Arm pain had gone til today, maybe the nerves starting to regenerate? Looking forward to a few weeks from now when I feel at least semi normal again.

It was buzzing on scalp and down both arms, not in my legs.
    Interesting. Did you call your neurosurgeon? Because that's what I would have done first instead of going to an online message board and asking for medical advice from people who are not doctors.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roadiez View Post
    Yes it is very scary when it happens...

Like "WD" said try to duplicate it. So when you go to your Ortho or Neuro check-ups you can tell them what is going on & can check your X rays a little bit closer in some areas.

No offense, but if that were me and something that scary happened to me after a 3 level acdf I wouldn't be spending my time on the computer asking for medical advice from the other posters. My first inclination would be to call the doctor ASAP instead of waiting for the check up.

And I also wouldn't be spending my time trying to duplicate it since I have no clue if it could lead to some permanent damage. Not the best advice to give someone IMO.

Last edited by Realhousewife; 11-11-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

RHW I am sure that if "Nzclover" thought it was something worthy of an ER visit or emergency call to their surgeon she just like she did in the first place.
    But now she wants to know if it was a common symptom after a procedure. I have all kinds of things that snap, crackle & pop(Yes, just like the cereal), sometimes it is some electrical shocks as well.
    I take it as note worthy & bring it up on my follow-up visits.

She also asked about if it was that someone else on here may have experienced.
    Also like 2 others besides me suggested to talk to her doctors about it.

As a lot of people on here do state that we are not medical professional. That it is our own opinions. And that she should seek a professional medical opinion if that person thinks it is the upmost urgency.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
    roadiez
    (male)

Also "Nzclover" has any of your doctors suggested Gabapentin or Lyrica? Those two meds are basically the same. But do help with neuropathy sensations. You will want to research it as well. It does help me a lot to calm down the electrical feelings. Mine is from several different reasons. But it does help me. If I miss some doses I get the feeling in my head & facial areas pretty quickly.

Hope you're doing well & recouping good.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
    Laenini
    (female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

I agree that this incident should be called to the attention of your surgeon. Let him/her decide if it's significant or if its common and to be expected.

I'm curious though, were you looking down when the unpleasant symptoms started? In some people who have pressure being placed on the spinal cord itself (myelopathy,) I believe they can experience unpleasant electric shock sensations radiating down their spine if they attempt to touch their chin to their chest. Having that experience without knowing what it is or why its happening would certainly trigger a release of epinephrine. The epi would make your heart pound, cause shakiness and stimulate your breathing to become more rapid. And while that could be described as a physiological panic response to the initial electric shock sensations, I want to emphasize that it is a very real physiological response to that epinephrine surge. Its not in your head, its in your body as it reacts to the release of a very powerful chemical!

Anyway, please let your doctor know what happened. Even if myelopathy explains what you experienced, your doctor needs to know that some indications of post-op myelopathy exist. Since ACDF surgery is often done to relieve myelopathy, your doctor will want to know about any ongoing symptoms of it that you may experience.
    C4-5 ACDF 2006
    C3-6 ACDF 2013
    Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Old 08-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
    Nzclover
    (female)

Nzclover HB User
    Smile Re: Dizzy, buzzing, tingling after 3 level ACDF

It's interesting how people jump down your throat for asking a question on a forum, which is supposedly frequented by others with similar problems! Of course I spoke to my surgeon, but I was wondering if anyone else had also had this happen.

I am nearly a year out from my surgery and I never experienced this again, so was definitely a one off - a scary one off!

In terms of my recovery, I felt pretty bad for a few weeks then slowly started to feel better. I feel like a new person now. I still have the odd ache in the back of my neck and have had very minor issues with small amounts of pain continuing in my right arm, but it is NOTHING compared to what I was like pre surgery.

I thought I was never going to be able to work again. I am back working (in IT) and just ensure that now I take breaks way more often and move around a lot more during the day. Never again would I work such long hours without breaks. I am certain that was the cause of my neck/arm problems. I take being comfortable at my desk very seriously, use ergo equipment (keyboard and mouse) and regularly see my massage therapist to loosen any muscles that are tight from sitting at a computer at work.

This was a very scary op for me to have, but I'm glad I did it, or I doubt I would have ever felt normal again.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #12
    gmak
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi nz clover, I am so glad to hear you are doing so well! Your surgery was a big big surgery, i had 4 lumbar surgeries no fusions & i wouldve been afraid too! So happy its over for you now & you are back at work & better. Great news!

Closed Thread