It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Myelomalacia and the future?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2003, 03:01 PM   #1
    Eugene2003

Eugene2003 HB User
    Question Myelomalacia and the future?

I would like to start by saying I hope everybody gets well soon! I'm new here but not new to cervical fusions or spinal cord problems. I have three levels of fusion with instrumentation. I was diagnosed with myelomalacia at the C4-C5 level. I'm going to have another MRI on the 28th of this month. Has anybody had surgery to relieve the compression on the spinal cord? What are the effects of myelomalacia long term? I appreciate your assistance in advance and have a nice day!

------------------
    EH

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2003, 06:03 AM   #2
    Memer
    Inactive

Memer HB User
    Eugene,

Welcome. Sorry to hear about your problems. I had a large herniation with mass effect on the cord at C4-C5. I am about 10 weeks postop right now. I got worse before I started getting better after surgery. I'm still not better than preop, but at least I'm more hopeful now (was feeling pretty blue for a while there). I had myelopathy (mild, in my opinion) but not myelomalacia, so I can't answer any questions about that. I don't remember seeing anyone here with that problem, but there may be someone who will come along soon to share. I hope you keep posting to let us know how you're doing and how your MRI turns out.

Take care.

[This message has been edited by Memer (edited 08-04-2003).]

The Following User Says Thank You to Memer For This Useful Post:
    sabieg (09-13-2012)
    Old 05-11-2003, 07:43 AM   #3
    Eugene2003

Eugene2003 HB User
    Memer,

Thank you for the support. I hope you are getting better. It took me awhile to recover from each surgery. I have recovered from the surgeries better than any doctor predicted. I was determined to get well as soon as possible. The only thing that bothers me now is the pain and uncertainty of the myelomalacia. Most doctors know nothing about this condition. I know I will beat thi problem but for now I will be a little blue! Have a nice day to all that read this message!

------------------
    EH

Old 05-11-2003, 08:39 AM   #4
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Hi Eugene,
    Greetings from hot FL! UGH! It's so hot I don't go outside unless absolutely necessary in my collar.

I don't know anything about myelomalacia, except what little I read yesterday in trying to figure out what it was. Some sites made it sound pretty benign, but others didn't. So I looked here to see who else may have mentioned it and saw that bdb has it. bdb hasn't posted in a while, but I remember reading one specific post that was quite poignant... it must have been about a month ago, give or take a few weeks. Try looking up bdb and reading that. You can also look for it on the Back Problems board here; that's where the lumbies hang out.

Welcome to the board... this is an incredible group of compassionate, thoughtful, and friendly souls. You can get a lot of support here, because we all understand what you are experiencing; pity parties allowed any time! Have a good day...
    wr

------------------
    • 12/29/89 C5-6 Microdiskectomy (no fusion)
    • 4/9/03 ACDF C4-7 with plating and donor bone

Old 05-11-2003, 05:56 PM   #5
    Eugene2003

Eugene2003 HB User
    Winged Phantom,

Thank you for the information! Have a nice day! The weather is a little hotter down here in South Florida.

------------------
    EH

Old 05-11-2003, 09:45 PM   #6
    bdb

bdb HB User
    Hello, I am sorry to hear that you have myelomalacia. I was diagnosed with a large herniated disk and myelopathy and myelomalacia in December 2002. In February I had ACDF C5-6 to try to stop the progression of the myelomalacia. I guess the progression was not stopped as I had another cervical MRI done in February 2003 because I was having more problems such as getting intense and pins and needles from the shoulders down when I tilt my head down. I now have a spinal cord cyst at C5-6 where the myelomalacia was and another at C2. I don't know what my future holds for me now. I have been told not to tilt my head down or try to turn it from side to side. I am not to swim anymore or to try to lift anything. I am very nervous as to how my mobility will be in the years to come. I hope with your future surgery that the progress of your myelomalacia is stopped with the surgery and that you have no more problems with it.
    bdb

Old 05-12-2003, 07:14 AM   #7
    Eugene2003

Eugene2003 HB User
    bdb,

They will find a way to stop the progression for you! I'm just a little nervous my self. If it wasn't for the medicine I would have alot of sleepless nights. Keep me informed on anything new and I will do the same. You will some brighter weather in the north sometime soon! Take care and have a pleasant day!

------------------
    EH

Old 05-12-2003, 09:39 AM   #8
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    Hi Eugene,
    just wanted to pop in and say , hello and welcome to the family!
    What has your Dr. explained about the myelomalacia?
    The prognosis and outcome, depend on the cause and length of time, and of course treatment.You need to have your NS explain all of this in detail. As with everything else, our answers would be very general, and the best answers and most specific will come from your doc, based on films and other test results.
    This cord compression business can be so overwhelming and multi-symptomed. I too have cord compression, both congenital stenosis, and compression from 3 herniations, C4-7.And it is all a little frightening and frustrating.
    Take care of yourself, and once again , Welcome!
    Mel
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Old 05-12-2003, 01:18 PM   #9
    Eugene2003

Eugene2003 HB User
    Mel,

Thank you! I have a hard time getting my NS to tell me anything because I had an outstanding lawsuit. I might get the answers now that the legal issues are over. I will keep everybody posted!

------------------
    EH

Old 05-12-2003, 01:22 PM   #10
    joprud
    Inactive

joprud HB User
    Hi Eugene,

Just wanted to say Hey and welcome you to the boards. I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Take Care,
    Joanne

Old 05-12-2003, 08:19 PM   #11
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    bdb and Eugene,
    So a search here and maybe even in the Back Problems section for myelomalacia, and in the archives, too. Also for the rest of the web... there are resources there, including support, and other people who are experiencing the same things.

Also, I guess the myelomalacia frequently becomes a syrinx or can form cysts. I hope advances in research come soon enough to help you. It seems medical science still has much to understand about the nervous system.
    wr

Old 05-12-2003, 08:38 PM   #12
    Eugene2003

Eugene2003 HB User
    winged phantom,

Thanks for the information. By the way, South Florida gets hot too! Have a nice day! My MRI is next week and I'm hoping it is better than I expect.

------------------
    EH

Closed Thread