It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• can torn discs ever heal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2003, 07:36 AM   #1
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Question can torn discs ever heal?

Hi everyone,

I am considering surgery c5/6 after discogram confirmed nerve pain and torn annulis of the disc. Does anyone know if cartilage can ever heal. One NS I saw said the surgery compromises your neck structure in the future and that discs burn themselves out eventually. Yet the NS I am seeing feels the surgery will help as all steroid shots accept a nerve block have failed. I don't appear to have much nerve damage on MRI only a disc bulge,yet get symptoms which my NS thinks are material leaking out of the disc into the nerve area. I am concerned about having so much cortosone in my neck. I am 32 and want to be as active as I used to. Has anyone had tears causing alot of pain?

Mel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2003, 08:55 AM   #2
    PsychLea
    Veteran
    (female)

PsychLea HB User
    Mel,

As you know, that is exactly my problem. In some people the disc material gets reabsorbed and heals on its own. Usually in about 3 months. If it was going to heal on its own, it should have done it by now.

Mine didn't, so they will surgically remove it. NS says arm pain should be gone when I wake up from surgery.

------------------
    God bless,

Lea

C4-5 noncompressive disc displacement
    C5-6 compressive disc displacement
    C6-7 broad based disc protrusion encroaching on the anterioposterior aspect of the spinal canal.
    DDD
    ACDF with possible 2 levels on 5/13/03!

Lea

Old 05-10-2003, 09:38 AM   #3
    Memer
    Inactive

Memer HB User
    Mel333,

I guess it can happen, but it's rare. Go to the Yahoo (or whatever) search button and type in something like "resorption of herniated cervical discs." There are some documented cases.

Best wishes.

[This message has been edited by Memer (edited 08-04-2003).]

Old 05-10-2003, 03:04 PM   #4
    Eugene2003

Eugene2003 HB User
    Smile

Mel,

I have had 2 anterior cervical fusions due to bulging discs. I don't know the answer to your question but wanted to wish you luck!

------------------
    EH

Old 05-11-2003, 08:18 AM   #5
    V-Neck

V-Neck HB User
    Hi Mel,

I read somewhere that sometimes the terms bulging disk and herniated disk are used interchangably. My understanding is that the bulging disk is not necesarily herniated and may be able to shrink (get reabsorbed).

I have a friend who suffered from a bulging disk in one level. She went throug some medication therapy, some physcal therapy and neither helped. Finally she tried a traction device adviced by her doctor. After using her tracction device daily as prscribed, the pain gradualy went away within a few months. She told me that she has pain very seldom now (for over a year), so seldom that she put away the traction device. She descibed her traction device as a small instrument that she used while laying down - not like some of the Spanish inqusitionlike devices.

I do not know if you would get any benefit from a traction device if you have a herniated disk as opposed to a bulging disk. Since I had 4 levels of herniated disks, I did not ask my doctor about it.

Good luck.

------------------
    V-Neck
    ADCF C4-7 with titanium plate, using donor bone
    3/27/03

Old 05-11-2003, 08:24 AM   #6
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Hi Lea, Memer and Eugene,

Thanks Lea I am probobly going to have the surgery as the pain has got to that point like yours has. I guess I keep hoping it will get better and need reminding that if it hasn't healed in years it may not. But I have had enough of being an osterich and am seeing my NS friday to discuss surgery.
    Memer,
    I have heard of cases that have healed and they seem to reasonably fast or 6 months ish. Who knows I thinks after a few years the chances lessen.

Thanks Eugene for the warm wishes.

Mel

Old 05-13-2003, 08:01 PM   #7
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    Mel333-

This is most useless post I've made, but I've got to say the title of this thread sounds like it would make a fantastic title to a top 10 Country Music song.

I wish you luck in your surgery.

jdog

Old 05-13-2003, 11:12 PM   #8
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Question

Hi V-neck AND Jdog,

Vneck, interesting re the traction device I may enquire about it.
    Jdog,
    It is a bit of a song huh, I can imagine a teary country singer swaying in the sunset for this one.

Mel

Old 05-13-2003, 11:13 PM   #9
    mel333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel333 HB User
    Question

Hi V-neck AND Jdog,

Vneck, interesting re the traction device I may enquire about it.
    Jdog,
    It is a bit of a song huh, I can imagine a teary country singer swaying in the sunset for this one.

Mel

Closed Thread