It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Muscle Spasms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2003, 10:47 PM   #1
    TStar4u

TStar4u HB User
    Post Muscle Spasms

Hi all,
    First, I want to say that I found this board about 1 week before surgery which was the day I was told that I was going to have the surgery. I want to thank everyone for the help that reading all the post have been to me. It calmed me down and gave so much needed information.

A little history: I started having neck problems about 7 years ago with one morning stretching to turn off my alarm clock. I had a massive muscle spasm that stood up about 3 inches off my shoulder. I was down with pain pills,muscle relaxers and anitinflammatories for 5 days. Ever since then I have had constant neck tension and 2 or 3 times a year I would have an 'episode'and the doctors would give me the same medication. On March 20th it happened again but this time with severe pain in my left arm and with numbness and tingling. I probably have had this longer but it was so gradual that I didn't connect it because of other health issues ie Thyroid with many muscle aches and pains. Anyway my shoulders are so tight that massage, chiropractors, and PT over the years have not lessened it.

Now my question:

Has anyone had any positive with releasing the muscles after surgery. The surgery went well and I no longer have the arm pain or neck pain but the spasms and tightness in the top of the shoulder has gotten worse. Also I tried sleeping in the bed for the first time last night and had no luck. Every time I layed on my left side my right arm would go to sleep within 30 minutes and the same on the right side with the left arm. Is that normal????????

I am 3 weeks post-op

Sorry this is so long, I felt like I need to give a little history.

------------------
    Twila
    ACDF C5/C6 with hardware-donor bone April 23,2003

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2003, 10:56 PM   #2
    TStar4u

TStar4u HB User
    OH! I forgot to say that I have been on muscle relaxers(soma or flexeril)and pain pills (vicodin)since March 20th. I thought that info might be helpful asking the question that I was asking. I had spinal stenosis with bone spur so the herniation had been there for awhile or so said the NS.

------------------
    Twila
    ACDF C5/C6 with hardware-donor bone April 23,2003

Old 05-13-2003, 11:23 PM   #3
    Catherine with a C
    Inactive

Catherine with a C HB User
    Hi Twila,
    And Welcome!!
    I am sorry to hear that you went so long before anything was done.
    Because of the late hour, I am feeling a bit tired, but I did want to welcome you. I have asked my surgeon a couple of times, the latest, at noon today, during my 6 week post op app't. about the short fat man wearing stiletto heels doing the hustle on my shoulder blade area............ apparently due to the amount that I was sssstttttrrrrrreeeeeeeetttttcccccchhhhhe eeedddddd
    (stretched) out during surgery, I am feeling what I should be feeling.
    I still sleep surrounded by pillows.....I have really been grateful for the long pillows i used during pregnancies......I also use many soft fluffy ones hugging my neck area. i start with one between my legs, which by the way, is a wonderful form of birth control!!! I am not sleeping on my back......only my side.....I start out on the opposite side of my incision......but usually wake up differently. A couple of times, I have woken up & my arm is dead........& I mean that.......takes a few minutes of moving it with my other hand...& my heart pounding.....(also a couple of curse words due to fear)
    until I realize that it was only still sleeping...
    I hate that!!

Well, I was only going to jot you a hello!! and I have gone on & on!!!Sorry about that!!

Welcome again......3 weeks is still early considering you just had major surgery. Be gentle with yourself.
    and take care~~~~~~~~`Cause I care!
    Until later,,,,,,happy thoughts, Catherine

Old 05-14-2003, 08:57 PM   #4
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Hi Twila,
    I sleep with the "top" arm over the edge of a pillow, otherwise I just crumple up! lol And this keeps my arms from going to sleep, until I sleep on my back and put them over my head, that is. It sure is tough to find just the right way to get comfortable, isn't it?
    wr

------------------
    • 12/29/89 C5-6 Microdiskectomy (no fusion)
    • 4/9/03 ACDF C4-7 with plating and donor bone

Old 05-15-2003, 08:14 PM   #5
    TStar4u

TStar4u HB User
    Thanks for your responses. I guess we all fight the spasms monster. I hope the NS prescribes 1 hour or more deep tissue massage- 3 times a week for a year once I go back for my 6 week check-up (June 3rd) Do you think that I am askin for 2 much.....haha Can always hope. My neighbor even brought over some emu oil with some of his special additives. I am willing to try anything. Will let you know.........

Old 05-15-2003, 08:44 PM   #6
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Twila, emu oil is a very light, smooth oil. It's beautiful! The coverage is tremendous, and it soaks in and does not feel greasy. The Ananu ("Aborigines") have used it for millenia for healing and softening. I have some Jean Charles brand products with vitamin E, and those are truly amazing! One of these days I may order a whole load of them because they are much cheaper than some of our stuff here. Of course, the cheaper grades and brands can really smell rancid, just like any garbage can.
    wr

Old 05-15-2003, 09:28 PM   #7
    TStar4u

TStar4u HB User
    Wink

Thanks Winged,

I laugh at my neighbor all the time because he is always bringing something over with emu. He raises them. I don't like the way they taste, that is for sure....HaHa. The oil is not bad, it does feel good going on, or is it the rubbing-hard to tell right now. Thanks for the info, maybe I will give a break,naaaaaaaa it is too much fun picking on him.....smile

Old 05-16-2003, 08:19 AM   #8
    OsteoMom

OsteoMom HB User
    I haven't tried it yet for mine, but a friend of mine had botox injections for nasty spasms and says that it did make a difference.

I swear when these muscles spasm, they create superglue to hold them in place. Nothing much helps, does it!

Mine are caused from an auto accident, but it gets aggravated if I reach for the alarm clock too fast as well.

I totally understand your frustrations.

Old 05-16-2003, 09:04 AM   #9
    melanie dawn
    Veteran

melanie dawn HB User
    HI Twila,
    you are still in the early post op phase. However if the spasms continue,like Botox you can have cortisone injections into the muscle. I have personally had these many times. They are a little painful, come in a series of three. But honestly, they really give relief from the spasms. Lasting 3-4 months for me. I haven't had surgery yet, so unfortunately the spasms keep coming back . But since you have resolved the main issue with surgery, steriod inj. may give you some more permanent long lasting relief.
    By the way, welcome aboard, good luck and take care
    Mel
    Advanced myelopathy inc. walking difficulty, loss of gag reflex with swallowing problems, neurogenic bladder, occipital neuralgia, spacticity

Closed Thread