It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Can someone please help explain MRI results!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
    babybongo
    (female)

babybongo HB User
    Can someone please help explain MRI results!

Someone alerted me that we pain-in-the-neck folks get help here on the spinal board. I'm new here, learning my way around. I am so impressed with all the info & knowledge shared!

I would appreciate it greatly if someone could please help me understand my MRI results:

Reversal of the normal cervical lordosis at C4-5.
    Spinal cord has normal signal.
    Cerebellar tonsils above level of foramen magnum.

Skull base C1: negative
    C1-C2: negative
    C2-C3: Posterior disk margin maintained, central canal & neural foramen & facets are normal.

C3-C4: Miinimal bulge of disk with no major mass effect on dural sac or nerve roots. Neural foramen are widely patent. Facets normal.

C4-5: Broad-based disk protrusion central right. This part of disk abuts right-sided exiting nerve root. Mild facet disease.

C5-6: Disk space narrowing, broad-based disk protrusion, bilateral neural canal narrowing greater right than left. Severe neural canal narrowing on the right.

C6-7: Broad-based disk protrusion, bilateral neural canal narrowing right greater than left

C7-T1 disk protrusion focal right

C7-T1 negative

Impression: Greater narrowing right than left on C4 through T1
    There is also a little bit of disk out in the left neural canal at C4-5.

Thanks so much for any feedback!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Can someone please help explain MRI results!

Reversed lordosis is extremely common with age. Severity depends on extent of lordosis, and doc doesn't go out of his way to indicate a problem.

I don't know what he means by "protrusion". Some radiologists ise that to mean a bulge, and other to mean a herniation, which is worse.

Anyway, you've got a bunch of right-side nerve root problems. Might cause pain in your neck, and could cause a whole range of symptoms from your shoulders down to your thumb, index and middle fingers.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
    babybongo
    (female)

babybongo HB User
    Re: Can someone please help explain MRI results!

Thanks so much, Webdozer!

I have probably had the reverse curve my entire life since it showed up on x-rays many, many years ago with a chiropractor.

Since I posted, my doctor called & clarified the disks are bulging rather than herniated, although the terminology seems very slurred to me. I wish there was a delineated standard across the board, as it is still uncertain to me.

I start PT today.

I am researching a neurosurgeon but unfortunately have to travel far to reach one.

As of now, I have no extreme pain. But have had deferred shoulder issues. My most annoying symptoms include discomfort trying to get comfortable in bed at night and crunching/crackling when I turn my head.

I previously have had "swishing" in my head when I turn my head but that symptom has lessened to rare occasions.

I have been reading some debilitating results from cervical epidurals, so am scared to death of that choice.

I really, really appreciate all the energy you put into helping others understand, WebDozer!

Closed Thread