It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• neural foraminal narrowing, MRI help please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #16
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: neural foraminal narrowing, MRI help please

I would ask the surgeon your main question, which is what will happen WITHOUT surgery. The other question would be, what about posterior decompressive surgery, such as laminoplasty. That, combined with foraminotomies.

You may be dealing with someone who's open-minded about all this, or you may be dealing with someone who's only willing to think in terms of ACDF's. It would be VERY helpful to get a couple more opinions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #17
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Chris, I think the nerve conduction studies will provide valuable information as to whether there is slowing of the nerves from carpal tunnel compression and/or from the cervical nerves. If it is from both, I would get the carpal tunnel problem taken care of first, as it is a much less serious and invasive procedure. Then you can see what remains. There is a procedure in radiology where they inject saline into the discs at each level, to find out exactly which level is creating the pain. If that can be narrowed to one or two, then the surgery might not have to involve all 4 levels, at least as far as fusion is concerned. They may be able to open up the foramen without fusing all 4 levels (to be avoided in my opinion). You might discuss that with your neurosurgeon after your nerve conduction tests are done.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #18
    chrisconfused
    (male)

chrisconfused HB User

Webdozer, thank you so much, what a great service you provide. First of all. there is no Neurosurgeon involved at all, this being W. Comp, I am now seeing a physiatrist only. I assume at some point, perhaps after nerve studies, a neuro will get involved. I have thought about seeing one on my own just to look at my MRI and give his opinion, but being WC, I don't know if he'll even see me. It is my understanding they do not want to get involved with WC. I will ask my physiatrist about the laminoplasty and foraminotomies when I see him next, after nerve conduction tests. Will post those results to let you know. Right now, I will plug away at work and try not to worry. At least, I am not experiencing any arm pain as so many on these boards are suffering, makes me think my cervical issues are not as progressed. Don't want to get to that point though, is it coming?

Old 01-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #19
    chrisconfused
    (male)

chrisconfused HB User

Ladybud, as I replied to Webdozer, the nerve conduction studies are scheduled soon, 2 weeks,so I'll know more about what direction I am going. I will post again then. I am intrigued about the radiological procedure you you spoke of. What is it called? Sometimes I feel I am making mountains out of molehills, my pain is primarily in the neck, I am not having arm issues. I feel so bad for some of these posters and at this point I should be counting my blessings. But is this in my future, considering my MRI findings? I guess I would need a crystal ball,lol. Happy New Year to you!

Old 01-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #20
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Chris, the name of the test is discography, cervical for neck and lumbar low back. It is done under fluoroscopy. It is certainly possible that cutting back your work hours will help. I wouldn't do anything drastic until you see how you are with reduced hours. If your pain in neck is still intolerable, then the discography could help identify which level(s) are causing the majority of pain, so the surgical repair is not more than you need. This does tend to be progressive, but may get better and progress slower with less aggravation from your job. Can they switch you to a desk job of some sort? That would probably help. Some Drs do cervical epidural steroid injections, which can be very helpful. They are usually pain management Drs. who are anesthesiologists. The injections bathe the irritated nerves in a cortisone like solution, which can provide pain relief for some time. There are other options besides surgery to consider.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    chrisconfused (01-03-2014)
    Old 01-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #21
    chrisconfused
    (male)

chrisconfused HB User

Just got back from NCV/EMG tests and has been confirmed, right hand severe, left hand moderate for carpal tunnel, the numbers he gave me were 6 for rt., and 4.5 for left. I am wondering what those numbers mean and how they compare to others. I am supposing surgery is in my future, but will wait to see what W.Comp Dr. says. I am also assuming this is a separate issue than my neck and unrelated. Any thoughts Ladybud and Webdozer? You two have been so kind to have answered my questions so far.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #22
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Probably a good thing to be diagnosed with CTS. That, at least, is something you should be able to do something about.

On the other hand, I doubt that any docs will consider that your hand/finger symptoms might have a spinal origin until you get the CTS cleared up (which is all the more reason to do something about it asap).

Old 01-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #23
    chrisconfused
    (male)

chrisconfused HB User

Yes, ASAP, workman's comp,lol

Closed Thread