It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

1 week post double level ACDF

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Clwalker
(male)

Clwalker HB User
1 week post double level ACDF

I am a 49 year old male who had a C4-C6 ACDF on 10/30. I first had neck pain 4 years ago and an MRI showed severe left sided cervical foraminal stenosis. I am a very active person and managed to stay active with the help of Hydrocodone and Flexeril. After 3 1/2 years, the pain became unbearable with constant muscle spasms so I opted for surgery. After the surgery, all the old pain was gone. My primary complaints involve the sore throat as well as problems speaking. In addition, the incision site is still extremely painful and my stamina is so bad that a walk around the block wears me out. Prior to surgery, I played tennis, worked out with weights and did yoga. I am anxious to return to these activities. Any first hand experiences about when this might happen?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
roadiez
(male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User
Re: 1 week post double level ACDF

You are still very, very post-op right now.... You will need to give it a minimum 6 weeks before you even want to try some of your activities. Or you will run the risk of a bad fusion, or even hurting your neck even more.
You need to let your wounds heal & let your spinal cord to realize "Hey I'm not so bad now...Let's repair ourselves!".

Best of luck & glad you're anxious to get back to old activities. But let your body heal as well.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Clwalker
(male)

Clwalker HB User

Sounds like very good advice. Thank you for responding.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
WebDozer
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Give it a month before you worry, OK?

Old 11-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Clwalker
(male)

Clwalker HB User

Yes, that sounds like good advice. My next dr. visit is 11/20. Hopefully some of the restrictions are lifted then. This was clearly the right decision. It is great having all of the old pain gone. Once I recover from the surgery, I think I will be better than ever.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
Realhousewife
Inactive
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

I had the exact surgery in 2012. One week post up and you are having problems with stamina? Sounds about right.

You had MAJOR surgery with general anesthesia and you won't be back to normal for a while. I had to wear a neck brace for 6 weeks 24/7 and then when I was in the car and doing anything that might cause another problem.

It amazes me when people have this type of surgery and are surprised about how they feel afterward. Can't run a marathon, do yoga, lift weights or play tennis. It's not like you had a tooth extraction. What did you expect regarding the healing process when you decided to have this type of surgery? To go right back into doing all the things you mentioned a week after? Because that's what it sounds like in your post.

Unless you want to cause more problems for yourself take it easy and enjoy the down time. Once you're completely healed there will be plenty of time to enjoy the things you're used to doing.

I know this post is a little harsh but seriously, you sound like you have some unrealistic expectations regarding the recovery after this type of major surgery and need a reality check which I have no problem doing Be glad for the downtime and the restrictions that you have-it will be a prudent decision on your part not to push things too soon.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:13 AM   #7
choco2013
(female)

choco2013 HB User

Yes just give your body sometimes to heal and let the bone perfectly fused. I was in total bed rest 1 month after surgery and i was just enjoyed my free time. I was also an active person but i realized that i have been thru BIG and MAJOR surgery and surely don't want more problem by doing things rushly.
Now I am limited myself in weight lifting and exercising.

Closed Thread