It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Spinal Fusion L-4/5 L5/S1

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2003, 07:37 PM   #1
    Mcdqueen

Mcdqueen HB User
    Post Spinal Fusion L-4/5 L5/S1

Hi, my husband Charles is 49 and has had 5 back surgeries. The last three since July 2000. The last one was last February and he had a spinal fusion of his L4/5, L5/S1. In July 2000 he had a disc removed and when they brought him to his room he was in as much pain or more than before they did surgery. The doctors think he ruptured another disc before they got him out of the operating room. Needless to say they had to operate again in Sept, 2000. He still didn't have much relief then they determined that he did have nerve damage to his L-5 level. He is having extreme pain in his left leg/foot.He had to have the spinal fusion in February 2002 to try to relieve the pain from that damaged nerve. He still has extreme pain in his left foot and sometimes in his right. My husband is still in incredible pain most of the time. He is on a lot of strong pain medicine that doesn't seem to help with his pain much. If anyone has had spinal fusion surgery and had foot pain before and after surgery I would love to hear from you. My husband would like to find out if there is any hope that his pain may get some better. The surgeon had told my husband that his pain would probably get better in a year now he has said it may take 2 years. Please if anyone has went through something like this and has got relief from their pain let me know. Thank you.

Wanda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2003, 09:01 PM   #2
    Catherine with a C
    Inactive

Catherine with a C HB User
    Hi Wanda,
    I am sorry to hear about your husband's continued pain. I am uplifted to hear that you are so caring...
    There is nothing worse than back pain!!

I know that you will receive much support here; there is such a wonderful group of people!! However, may I suggest you also attempt posting a message on the back problems board. Most of the knowledge & concern here deals with neck situations...

I empathize with both you & your husband..
    Stay strong & keep the faith!!
    God Bless!
    Catherine

Old 05-22-2003, 06:00 PM   #3
    NYFUSED
    Veteran
    (female)

NYFUSED HB User
    HI,
    I had a laminectomy L4-5 in 2001. After surgery my NS told me I would still experience some numbness, tingling etc. due to the surgery itself. Immediately after surgery my sciatica pain was totally gone. Within 6 months I was completely PAIN FREE. NS did mention that if the nerve is damaged it can take up to 1 year to heal. How long did your husband wait before he had his first surgery???? Did he go to PT??? I wish him luck for pain free days. I am now suffering with cervical and lumbar probems due to a MVA in Feb. 2002.

Good luck.
    Lori
    Laminectomy L4-5
    ACDF C5-6-7 10/2002
    Posterior Foraminotomy c6-7 June 4, 2003

Old 05-23-2003, 06:33 PM   #4
    Mcdqueen

Mcdqueen HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by LORIRAT:
    HI,
    I had a laminectomy L4-5 in 2001. After surgery my NS told me I would still experience some numbness, tingling etc. due to the surgery itself. Immediately after surgery my sciatica pain was totally gone. Within 6 months I was completely PAIN FREE. NS did mention that if the nerve is damaged it can take up to 1 year to heal. How long did your husband wait before he had his first surgery???? Did he go to PT??? I wish him luck for pain free days. I am now suffering with cervical and lumbar probems due to a MVA in Feb. 2002.

Good luck.
    Lori
    Laminectomy L4-5
    ACDF C5-6-7 10/2002
    Posterior Foraminotomy c6-7 June 4, 2003

Old 05-23-2003, 06:53 PM   #5
    Mcdqueen

Mcdqueen HB User
    Hi, everyone. Just a little more info about my husbands surgeries. He had his first back surgery when
    he was 21 and he seemed to do pretty good for a while.
    He was pretty good for a while and after about 15 years he had to have another surgery on his back. That one lasted about 10 years then 7/00 he had to have his third back surgery then his fourth was in Sept 2000. Neither one of these surgeries gave him any relief. He ended up with foot drop of his left foot at that point.
    He went to another surgeon and underwent his 5th surgery Feb 2002 and he has had a really rough time of it. His foot was hurting him really bad before surgery
    and it is better than it was before but it is still bad enough until he has to take a lot of powerful pain medicine. The least little thing he does sets his foot
    (mostly) on fire. He says he can't hardly take the pain anymore. He had started on PT after his surgery but he was diagnosed with kidney cancer of his left kidney of April last year and they had to remove his kidney. He also had to have his gall bladder removed July last year. He is thinking of having a nerve oblation done. Has anyone ever had this done? Thank you all for your support.

God bless,

Wanda

Old 05-23-2003, 09:11 PM   #6
    winged phantom
    Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
    Hi Wanda,
    I'm very sorry to hear of all the difficulties your husband and you have had to face. He is so lucky to have you trying to advocate for him and learn about these things when it must be very hard for him to sit long at a computer...

I've been here for a few months, and I have not heard of anyone having a nerve ablation, but you should search through the files here on this board; also check on the Back Problems board and through the Archives... and maybe even on the Pain Management or the Open forums here at HB. So there are a few places where you might find someone's experience with it.

I hope you find sunnier days ahead.
    wr

Closed Thread